Last Film You Watched

Go on, treat yourself, hee hee hee...

MV5BZGZmMWE1MDYtNzAyNC00MDMzLTgzZjQtNTQ5NjYzN2E4MzkzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg

10:45pm tonight, bbc four. Iconic silliness.
One of the best films.

Just watched Dial of Destiny. Genuinely don't know what to make of it. The ending was definitely . . . interesting.

Anyway, definitely way better than Crystal Skull, was genuinely entertaining and does not deserve the level of hate it seems to have got.

However, I can't help but think again that they should have left it at Last Crusade.
I thought it was pretty good up until that last half hour or so, but it was definitely better than KOTCS so it’s gets a pass from me.

I'm on a mission this year to get round to classic films i've not caught yet, hoping some of them will score a rare 10/10.

Seven Samurai (1954) - ignore the hype-train and it's an entertaining, humorous and interesting ride...with a handful of strong scenes. The first-half is a bit of a slog, mind. And 3 hours of nervous shouty japanese dialogue is an acquired taste. 7/10.

Suspiria (1977) - stylish in a good way (use of colours, camera) but goofy in a bad way (silly death scenes, poor dubbing, overbearing soundtrack, thin plot). Watch for the style over the substance and it's fine. 6/10.

Herzog's Nosferatu is next...

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part One
I felt this started off in a convoluted way, with far too much stuff happening at the same time. Eventually it became simpler to follow and it turned into a really enjoyable movie. The action set pieces and visuals are superbly done of course and the cast is great (especially TC and the lovely Vanessa Kirby). All in all it's another great entry from the most consistent action franchise out there. It also didn't feel like a 3 hour movie. It flew by. 8/10

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Going straight into this one after M:I, I found it funny how similar the action was at times. A special part in each movie that took place on trains were identical. The movie itself was everything I expected from a by the numbers 2023 Disney movie. It's an okay adventure film, but it didn't grab me much.
6/10

I'm on a mission this year to get round to classic films i've not caught yet, hoping some of them will score a rare 10/10.

Seven Samurai (1954) - ignore the hype-train and it's an entertaining, humorous and interesting ride...with a handful of strong scenes. The first-half is a bit of a slog, mind. And 3 hours of nervous shouty japanese dialogue is an acquired taste. 7/10.

Suspiria (1977) - stylish in a good way (use of colours, camera) but goofy in a bad way (silly death scenes, poor dubbing, overbearing soundtrack, thin plot). Watch for the style over the substance and it's fine. 6/10.

Best vampire/Dracula movie I've ever seen. So atmospheric. I'll never forget watching it on a channel named Canal+ as a 12-13 year old. Completely blown away. The score, the setting and Kinski's disgusting performance as Nosferatu is just perfection.

Halloween 3 - Season Of The Witch.

The best Halloween film. You've never witnessed true evil till you've seen a paunchy booze stinking Tom Atkins clambering on top of a pretty young lady less than half his age.

And the directing of the extras and the blocking is truly mesmerising, especially the fireman with the fancy dress helmet on.

I unashamedly love Season of the Witch, it’s how they wanted the Halloween series to go on but fans got too enamoured by ol’ Shatner mask so they had to think of a reason to revive him for 4

The original is still great but Kinski somehow makes the titular character even more of a creep than Max Schreck. If you can I’d also recommend Shadow of a Vampire which is a sort of embellished telling of the filming of the original with Willem Defoe playing Schreck

I unashamedly love Season of the Witch, it’s how they wanted the Halloween series to go on but fans got too enamoured by ol’ Shatner mask so they had to think of a reason to revive him for 4
There's a lot to ridicule about it but I also really like it. Though he only has producer credits it's the one that feels closest to the satirical side Carpenter to me.

The Shape is a good boogeyman but the absolute unhinged lunacy of Loomis is the highlight of those films - no 2 especially.

Best vampire/Dracula movie I've ever seen. So atmospheric. I'll never forget watching it on a channel named Canal+ as a 12-13 year old. Completely blown away. The score, the setting and Kinski's disgusting performance as Nosferatu is just perfection.

The original is still great but Kinski somehow makes the titular character even more of a creep than Max Schreck. If you can I’d also recommend Shadow of a Vampire which is a sort of embellished telling of the filming of the original with Willem Defoe playing Schreck

Nice. I've only seen bits of Herzog's Nosferatu, and bits of the 1922 silent classic, and you can feel their connection, but have seen all of Shadow of a Vampire, quite enjoyed that. Felt like a love-letter to the original, and very cool premise!

Apparently there's two versions of Herzog's Nosferatu: he filmed it twice: once in german and once in english...not sure how much real difference there is, I got both versions on separate DVDs and will check out the german first.

Yeah, Kinski is a bit of a cultural legend here in Germany, very eccentric character...some facets of which were quite unsavoury by some accounts. Like with Polanski there's always discussion among film fans if one should still watch his stuff, but personally I see the creation of films as a mega-project between hundreds of different people: that's what makes the end-result so potentially unique in the Art Canon of our civilisation. It would be a shame to reject all their efforts because one of their crew (however key to the project) is a bit of an arsehole.

So reckon about time i saw something with Kinski involved, also got Aguirre & Fitzcarraldo on the watchlist.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back