Last Film You Watched

Triangle of Sadness (Amazon Prime)

Watched this last night. It's a darkish comedy set (mainly) on a luxury yacht. The rich and powerful have everything they need until disaster strikes and they are forced to undergo a restructuring of the class stratas to which they've become accustomed.

It's interesting enough in a Lord of the Flies kind of way but there are plenty of giggles too. Not a stellar cast with Woody Harrelson being the only big name but some of the acting is top notch.

At 2.5 hours it might be overly long but worth checking out if you have the time.

Did Paths of Glory last night: underwhelmed! It's a small story, on a small set, with a cartoonish antagonist who's dialogue & acting skills are straight out of amateur theatre. I wasn't sold on the premise as I kept asking why no-one suggested they storm the Ant Hill at night (the reconnaissance the night before strongly suggested this would be the way forward, what with the lack of bombs and cover of darkness).

Some nice camera work: fluid camera-dolly in the trenches, and the race to the Ant Hill felt like a proto-version of Spielberg's famous storming-of-the-beach scene in Saving Private Ryan. Kirk Douglas is always watchable. Rest of the cast were so-so.

I appreciate how the plot developed in a way that subverted expectations: the movie wasn't about
an impossible storming of something, like many other war movies. And the prisoners weren't saved at the last minute. The final scene with the singing was nice.

I get that the story represents how inhumane the French authorities were to their soldiers at that time, but it just didn't enthrall me or even interest me that much. And a mix of british/american actors all playing french folk felt way off.

5/10...my lowest-rated Kubrick. Only Lolita left to see now.

Watched this last night. It's a darkish comedy set (mainly) on a luxury yacht. The rich and powerful have everything they need until disaster strikes and they are forced to undergo a restructuring of the class stratas to which they've become accustomed.

It's interesting enough in a Lord of the Flies kind of way but there are plenty of giggles too. Not a stellar cast with Woody Harrelson being the only big name but some of the acting is top notch.

At 2.5 hours it might be overly long but worth checking out if you have the time.
The vomiting scene alone is worth the price of admission!

Did Paths of Glory last night: underwhelmed! It's a small story, on a small set, with a cartoonish antagonist who's dialogue & acting skills are straight out of amateur theatre. I wasn't sold on the premise as I kept asking why no-one suggested they storm the Ant Hill at night (the reconnaissance the night before strongly suggested this would be the way forward, what with the lack of bombs and cover of darkness).

Some nice camera work: fluid camera-dolly in the trenches, and the race to the Ant Hill felt like a proto-version of Spielberg's famous storming-of-the-beach scene in Saving Private Ryan. Kirk Douglas is always watchable. Rest of the cast were so-so.

I appreciate how the plot developed in a way that subverted expectations: the movie wasn't about
an impossible storming of something, like many other war movies. And the prisoners weren't saved at the last minute. The final scene with the singing was nice.

I get that the story represents how inhumane the French authorities were to their soldiers at that time, but it just didn't enthrall me or even interest me that much. And a mix of british/american actors all playing french folk felt way off.

5/10...my lowest-rated Kubrick. Only Lolita left to see now.
Why didn’t they attack the AntHill at night? Why did the British Army launch the Battle of the Somme at 6AM on July 1st?

Went to see Oppenheimer this afternoon with my son. Typical Nolan movie with his movie making dna all over it e.g. heavily orchestral soundtrack. Really thought provoking and I can see why he said people viewed it as a horror movie. Good movie…the 2 hrs 50 mins went by quickly. Would recommend!

I liked it, though I thought it was a bit on the nose

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back