Last Film You Watched

Lost gem alert

View attachment 219096

Matinee, Joe Dante's love letter to childhood and the schlock movies of the 50s and 60s. Despite critical acclaim it never found much of an audience. Came out in 93 and may have been overshadowed by some of the big hitters that year (JP among them), which is a real shame as its a deftly written, charming comedy with some great performances, not least from John Goodman in a rare leading role, and Robert Picardo as a neurotic cinema manager.

Its foresightedly meta, and a treat for cinephiles and while it does over extend itself a bit at the end its well worth a gander.

I've got it on a beautifully restored Arrow blu ray.
This feature 'the lion sleeps tonight'?

Because they've just been on the news...
F1qMvn9XoAEwQMu

Someone looks really not keen.

Was a decent watch, the main actress had no luck tho sadly.

On October 2008, Dean and fellow model Ashton Schnehage survived a car crash. Her injuries included a broken wrist, four broken ribs, and a collapsed lung.She was hospitalised at Milnerton Medi-Clinic and received life-saving surgery.She took a break from her career after the accident.

On 29 August 2022, Dean was admitted to a hospital in New York City after feeling unwell. While her initial symptoms were mild, her condition deteriorated rapidly and she died several hours later; she was 32. Autopsy results released on 21 December 2022 confirmed the actress died of bacterial sepsis, which was caused by Capnocytophaga. Her spleen had been removed after the 2008 car crash, which increased her risk of serious infections. Dean's death occurred shortly before the international release of Triangle of Sadness.Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian wrote that she "was a true star-in-the-making. Her loss is a huge one... [she] had a singular style and enormous promise.
Shocked by that tbh. Only watched this film last night and had no idea.

Oppenheimer

Excellent acting and score. I reckon Cillian will get an Oscar.

It's very long like.

9/10
It's the kind of film that tends to win Actor/Director/Picture, especially when the Academy voters feel that the actor and director have been overlooked in the past.

I just watched Shutter Island, on net flicks, a very good chilling film.
Only Ben Kingsley can play that role, and keep you guessing right up until the end. Hopkins might be able to pull it off, but he's the only other person I can think of who could work.

Went to see Dial of Destiny today. I enjoyed it in fairness. It's just good fun as long as you don't overthink it and start comparing it to the original. IMO nowhere near as bad as some on here would have it.

Not sure about Phoebe Waller Bridge though. Kept on expecting her to turn round to the camera and start talking about anal sex. Brilliant writer and innovator, but a bit of a one track pony when she's put in front of the camera.
I really liked it until the last 15/20 mins, when it all went a bit off rails for me. Thought both PWB and the young lad were really good, tho I whilst I knew who she was, I've never seen Flea Bag, so didn't have any expectations/preconceptions coming in to it (and also didn't know she was in it until I watched it). Much better than Crystal Skull tho.
I just watched Shutter Island, on net flicks, a very good chilling film.
Love that film. One of my fave Leo films.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back