Last Film You Watched

Love going on my own myself.

I do loads on my own and prefer it to having company a lot of the time.

Cinema trips on your own are great. I live down the road from one so it's just a short walk for me and anytime I have a day to myself I'll try to walk down.

Same here.

l’ve been going for years by myself, especially if it’s a film that you know is going to require max concentration.

Remember going to see Malcolm X on my own when it was first released many years back. It was in one of the smaller screens at Brum Odeon. It was a 2 0 clock viewing and I was the only one there so sat in the middle about half way back. About half way through some bloke wondered in and sat next to me!!!, he could have sat anywhere else, must have thought that it was a shame I was alone but it freaked me out!!, as soon as the film finished I was off! 😆
I just wanted some of your popcorn...

Oppenheimer

I'm not really if the opinion it's an absolute masterpiece like others, I enjoyed it but there were parts about the film I didn't like.

Mainly the score for me, While it's an excellent film in a dialogue heavy score with characters with different actors it literally just made parts of the film hard to understand what was being said, and the score grated on me at times while concentrating on the dialogue.

Some great performances though from Robert Downey Jr, Cyllain Murphy, Emily Blunt may all be nominated for awards and deservingly so.

8/10

Despite my issue with the score I recommend it fantastic film

Oppenheimer

I'm not really if the opinion it's an absolute masterpiece like others, I enjoyed it but there were parts about the film I didn't like.

Mainly the score for me, While it's an excellent film in a dialogue heavy score with characters with different actors it literally just made parts of the film hard to understand what was being said, and the score grated on me at times while concentrating on the dialogue.

Some great performances though from Robert Downey Jr, Cyllain Murphy, Emily Blunt may all be nominated for awards and deservingly so.

8/10

Despite my issue with the score I recommend it fantastic film

Found it a bit 'boring' in places.

Redlettermedia's review put me off: saying it flows like a 3-hour trailer and the overloud music is oppressive. They did a funny by musing how a Nolan-soundtrack would sound on a classic like 12 Angry Men:

I don't think I've warmed to any Nolan film, they all leave me pretty cold. Quite looking forward to this one though

I don't think I've warmed to any Nolan film, they all leave me pretty cold. Quite looking forward to this one though
same. that cold clinical detached feeling i've had with all his films, tho' i did enjoy Inception & Prestige despite this.

as a sci-fi nut Tenet & Interstellar were huge disappointments.

Redlettermedia's review put me off: saying it flows like a 3-hour trailer and the overloud music is oppressive. They did a funny by musing how a Nolan-soundtrack would sound on a classic like 12 Angry Men:

I made the point about the quick editing in this thread, and felt it needed to slow down at times (strange to say that in a 3 hour movie).

The score didn’t bother me too much. Still a solid, well made movie by a filmmaker wanting to tell a compelling story, in an age of CGI franchise overload.

same. that cold clinical detached feeling i've had with all his films, tho' i did enjoy Inception & Prestige despite this.

as a sci-fi nut Tenet & Interstellar were huge disappointments.

Yeah, I don't really dislike any - apart from probably Inception and it's cool how he films on such a big scale but every one is just a bit of a shrug for me. But I still happily watch them

I made the point about the quick editing in this thread, and felt it needed to slow down at times (strange to say that in a 3 hour movie).

The score didn’t bother me too much. Still a solid, well made movie by a filmmaker wanting to tell a compelling story, in an age of CGI franchise overload.
i agree with the sentiment of wanting to support real film-making over CGI, but it still comes down to how much one enjoys the end-product. Ready Player One is an unashamed VR-fest and i loved it! Tenet was a dull confusing slog.

Tom Cruise's practical stunts are also doing their bit to keep real film-making in the game. Looking forward to Maverick on the home-projector once i can stomach having to watch Top Gun 1 first.

Yeah, I don't really dislike any - apart from probably Inception and it's cool how he films on such a big scale but every one is just a bit of a shrug for me. But I still happily watch them
interesting that Inception is your least-favourite, i think that's generally regarded as his best film. What is it that turned you off? I enjoyed the set-pieces, ideas and acting (pretty much the only film alongside Titanic where i can stomach Leo DiCaprio).

Interstellar however is the only Nolan i intensely dislike. All that crying was doing my head in. It just didn't feel earned.

i agree with the sentiment of wanting to support real film-making over CGI, but it still comes down to how much one enjoys the end-product. Ready Player One is an unashamed VR-fest and i loved it! Tenet was a dull confusing slog.

Tom Cruise's practical stunts are also doing their bit to keep real film-making in the game. Looking forward to Maverick on the home-projector once i can stomach having to watch Top Gun 1 first.

Nothing against CGI. David Fincher uses CGI extensively, but you hardly notice it, it’s all backgrounds and texture enhancements. Just not sure I can sit through another 20 minute weightless action scene, where you can see the confused look on actors faces at they try to imagine what is happening in the scene.

I like almost all Nolan’s movies, to different extents (Memento and The Prestige are both properly excellent), but yeah, Tenet - Pass, dull as dishwater.

It's probably because Nolan is in quite a unique position where he does classic, kind of indie style (but not) film making but also for the biggest budget and studios going so they will get to butt in a fair amount. I bet directors cuts of most of his films would be fairly different with editing etc, but the studios just won't give him that luxury

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back