Last Film You Watched

Spacey found not guilty. Difficult this, I like a lot of his films and have had a crisis of confidence, I was quite happy to bin will smith and all his movies because of how much of a bellend he is (civilians* scientology* woeful rap* a work in progress* that assault*) even though it meant binning 'enemy of the state' and I just lurve Gene Hackman performances. The sheer volume of complaints against Spacey in both the US and UK make this a difficult road back.
On the news now, allen, polanski, depp, re cancelled men. For instance there is a very well know occasion of serious criminality commit by kirk douglas and he's been binned, the size, the magnitude of some careers make some stars very difficult to avoid. Gonna keep wrestling with this as there is no silver bullet that finishes it unfortunately.
But he was found not guilty (as with Depp).

What's left to wrestle with?

But he was found not guilty (as with Depp).

What's left to wrestle with?
You should have sky arts on, right now - Peter O'Toole special 9pm till 10. As for Spacey, it's the sheer number of incidents and a similar pattern in each. I want to be able to watch the usual suspects, se7en, glengarry, american beauty, l.a confidential, moon, house of cards relatively guilt free. depp and heard are 1-1 aren't they?

Yeah, Kinski is a bit of a cultural legend here in Germany, very eccentric character...some facets of which were quite unsavoury by some accounts. Like with Polanski there's always discussion among film fans if one should still watch his stuff, but personally I see the creation of films as a mega-project between hundreds of different people: that's what makes the end-result so potentially unique in the Art Canon of our civilisation. It would be a shame to reject all their efforts because one of their crew (however key to the project) is a bit of an arsehole.

As for Spacey, it's the sheer number of incidents and a similar pattern in each. I want to be able to watch the usual suspects, se7en, glengarry, american beauty, l.a confidential, moon, house of cards relatively guilt free.
See my above comment from coupla weeks ago, Rita. My view is, even in the case of relatively-confirmed guilt like Polanski, that the making of a film is a mega-project between so many different people, and they are the ones - their efforts - unfairly tainted with guilt-by-association if we reject all works featuring any single arsehole.

You should have sky arts on, right now - Peter O'Toole special 9pm till 10. As for Spacey, it's the sheer number of incidents and a similar pattern in each. I want to be able to watch the usual suspects, se7en, glengarry, american beauty, l.a confidential, moon, house of cards relatively guilt free. depp and heard are 1-1 aren't they?

I can watch them guilt free.

Where do you draw the line with stuff like this is the problem.

Do you still watch the countless films Harvey Weinstein produced?

See my above comment from coupla weeks ago, Rita. My view is, even in the case of relatively-confirmed guilt like Polanski, that the making of a film is a mega-project between so many different people, and they are the ones - their efforts - unfairly tainted with guilt-by-association if we reject all works featuring any single arsehole.
That's the wrestle, ian watkins was just the singer in the lost prophets, but that brand and all music is toxified. The other musicians supplied more than him in total but that work is dead. Sometimes it is impossible to separate the work from the criminal. It's also easier in some cases to cancel an artist because of perception, or rather massaged perception. Todays loss being a case in point re that SNL appearance.

That's the wrestle, ian watkins was just the singer in the lost prophets, but that brand and all music is toxified. The other musicians supplied more than him in total but that work is dead. Sometimes it is impossible to separate the work from the criminal.
oh lordy, that horrific Ian Watkins did crimes so far beyond anything Depp, Spacey etc have been accused of...that i agree his band are utter toast. He was also found guilty, of course.

Shudders at mention of that name. I bet the other band-members themselves don't wanna associate with their past music with him. Unreal stuff.

Oppenheimer

Beautifully shot, wonderfully acted and a fascinating story - Alas, told in an overcomplicated, emotionally dead manner

There were snippets of absolute wonder in this (The Einstein conversation, the Trinity test scene) but much of it felt like an inferior version of Oliver Stone's J.F.K

Oppenheimer

Beautifully shot, wonderfully acted and a fascinating story - Alas, told in an overcomplicated, emotionally dead manner

There were snippets of absolute wonder in this (The Einstein conversation, the Trinity test scene) but much of it felt like an inferior version of Oliver Stone's J.F.K
Have to disagree. I thought it was superb. After The Prestige I think it’s Nolan’s best film.

Must be a Christopher Nolan thing
It is. He's absolutely up his own ass about mixing it solely for the theater experience and, even then, it fails because most theaters don't have what NOLAN has. Seriously, it's like the opposite of what music producers used to do. They'd play it on like 20 different mediums of speakers, from awful car speakers to top end hi-fi. They used to make sure it worked on everything. His crap doesn't even work on top end systems because, again, up his own ass so much.

Oscar winner, film4 9pm Thursday evening (tonight)

images

It is. He's absolutely up his own ass about mixing it solely for the theater experience and, even then, it fails because most theaters don't have what NOLAN has. Seriously, it's like the opposite of what music producers used to do. They'd play it on like 20 different mediums of speakers, from awful car speakers to top end hi-fi. They used to make sure it worked on everything. His crap doesn't even work on top end systems because, again, up his own ass so much.
Yeah 💯

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back