Last Film You Watched

Nothing against CGI. David Fincher uses CGI extensively, but you hardly notice it, it’s all backgrounds and texture enhancements.
i'm not sure i appreciate stuff like this, tho' (Scorsese-example)...

..even if we the viewer don't notice it, or maybe we do on an unconscious level. I've been watching old classics this year, and some of the productions feel so immersive (Lawrence of Arabia recently....those landscapes...wow).

Edit: more here:

Last edited:
It's probably because Nolan is in quite a unique position where he does classic, kind of indie style (but not) film making but also for the biggest budget and studios going so they will get to butt in a fair amount. I bet directors cuts of most of his films would be fairly different with editing etc, but the studios just won't give him that luxury

Interesting point, I’d have thought Nolan would have a fair degree of autonomy, but the editing choice in Oppenheimer defo feels like a studio saying “it’s too boring, it’s just people in a room talking, you need to make this snappier“.

i'm not sure i appreciate stuff like this, tho' (Scorsese-example)...

..even if we the viewer don't notice it, or maybe we do on an unconscious level. I've been watching old classics this year, and some of the productions feel so immersive (Lawrence of Arabia recently....those landscapes...wow).

Think we’ve hit bedrock of disagreement then. I’ll leave you to the Ready Player One Barf fest.

interesting that Inception is your least-favourite, i think that's generally regarded as his best film. What is it that turned you off? I enjoyed the set-pieces, ideas and acting (pretty much the only film alongside Titanic where i can stomach Leo DiCaprio).

Interstellar however is the only Nolan i intensely dislike. All that crying was doing my head in. It just didn't feel earned.

Interstellar is a superb film.

interesting that Inception is your least-favourite, i think that's generally regarded as his best film. What is it that turned you off? I enjoyed the set-pieces, ideas and acting (pretty much the only film alongside Titanic where i can stomach Leo DiCaprio).

Interstellar however is the only Nolan i intensely dislike. All that crying was doing my head in. It just didn't feel earned.

Well I've probably not watched it in over 10 years tbh, and I watch a lot of dreamy kind of films and his spin was one of the more tedious and convoluted ones I have seen and I don't love DiCaprio

Interesting point, I’d have thought Nolan would have a fair degree of autonomy, but the editing choice in Oppenheimer defo feels like a studio saying “it’s too boring, it’s just people in a room talking, you need to make this snappier“.

He probably has more than most these days, particularly with the amount of franchise films around - you get very little say there obviously

He may well have the biggest budget out of everyone, barr Cameron possibly,so the studio have a decent amount of say I reckon, seeing as they are lending him half a billion or so

Well I've probably not watched it in over 10 years tbh, and I watch a lot of dreamy kind of films and his spin was one of the more tedious and convoluted ones I have seen and I don't love DiCaprio
I've recently seen a couple of films I didn't personally like but think you might (if i remember right you enjoy arthouse stuff):

Jodorowsky's Santa Sangre and Tarkovsky's Stalker. Not for me, but maybe for others who like weird fever-dream imagery.

Spacey found not guilty. Difficult this, I like a lot of his films and have had a crisis of confidence, I was quite happy to bin will smith and all his movies because of how much of a bellend he is (civilians* scientology* woeful rap* a work in progress* that assault*) even though it meant binning 'enemy of the state' and I just lurve Gene Hackman performances. The sheer volume of complaints against Spacey in both the US and UK make this a difficult road back.
On the news now, allen, polanski, depp, re cancelled men. For instance there is a very well know occasion of serious criminality commit by kirk douglas and he's been binned, the size, the magnitude of some careers make some stars very difficult to avoid. Gonna keep wrestling with this as there is no silver bullet that finishes it unfortunately.

Just seen Oppenheimer and loved it. Can understand some of the criticisms given in here but personally they didn’t bother me. Lots of great performances in it. I did spend a good portion of the film trying to work out who one of the actors was before it clicked and I realised it was Floki from Vikings.

I am a big fan of Nolan in general though. Only one I didn’t really like was Tenet.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back