Last Film You Watched

Over the last week, I’ve been doing a little Halloween marathon. Watching them all from the oldest to the latest one.
The older ones are much more scary than the latest ones, just finished watching insidious: red door, nothing special again.

Anyone recommend a really good horror film? The newer ones just don’t cut it.
Had a trawl through some places of reference, and a few I've seen (on top of the initial three) and a few I will...
the wailing 2016
torso 1973
the chaser 2008
high tension 2005
I saw the devil 2010
tumbbad 2018
goodnight mommy 2014
the devils backbone 2001
a tale of two sisters 2003
martyrs 2008
train to busan 2016

plenty to investigate there.

He's a cop but for some reason has trained with the samurai masters....or something. Bad acting, worse fight scenes, mullets, banana hammocks and babes.

Notable for many things least of all that the lead had his hair cut after shooting had finished only for it to turn out that shooting had not finished. The solution was the worlds worst wig which crops up throughout the film including a fight scene where it clearly comes off but the director didn't shout cut.

Had a trawl through some places of reference, and a few I've seen (on top of the initial three) and a few I will...
the wailing 2016
torso 1973
the chaser 2008
high tension 2005
I saw the devil 2010
tumbbad 2018
goodnight mommy 2014
the devils backbone 2001
martyrs 2008
train to busan 2016

Much appreciated, thank you

He's a cop but for some reason has trained with the samurai masters....or something. Bad acting, worse fight scenes, mullets, banana hammocks and babes.

Notable for many things least of all that the lead had his hair cut after shooting had finished only for it to turn out that shooting had not finished. The solution was the worlds worst wig which crops up throughout the film including a fight scene where it clearly comes off but the director didn't shout cut.

Belting film that, the sequel is disappointing.

Over the last week, I’ve been doing a little Halloween marathon. Watching them all from the oldest to the latest one.
The older ones are much more scary than the latest ones, just finished watching insidious: red door, nothing special again.

Anyone recommend a really good horror film? The newer ones just don’t cut it.
Also, The Void and Colour Out Of Space if you don't mind a bit of cosmic horror.

the wailing 2016
torso 1973
the chaser 2008
high tension 2005
I saw the devil 2010
tumbbad 2018
goodnight mommy 2014
the devils backbone 2001
martyrs 2008
train to busan 2016

The wailing is brilliant

A Pearl Harbor double bill yesterday. (whilst avoiding the truly awful Pearl Harbor)

Tora! Tora! Tora!

One of the most historically accurate films about events of WW2, shown from both sides. Some amazing gaffs by the Americans in the build up to the attack. Quite long at 2.5 hours but there's absolutely no filler.

A solid 7.5, maybe 8.

The Final Countdown

Kirk Douglas captains the USS Nimitz as it goes through a wormhole to travel back in time to the day before the Pearl Harbour Attack. Once he figures out what's happened, does he attack the Japanese fleet and change history? The 'plot twist' reveals itself in a fairly obvious way but it's still a pretty nice idea for a film. (some proper ropey special effects don't spoil it.) For jet plane geeks no film has as much aviation fuel besides Top Gun.

An enjoyable 6.5.

On the plane I watched the latest Blade Runner, which was really good. I also watched Ford versus Ferrari, which told an interesting story but was very "Hollywood" and could have been better edited. I tried to watch John Wick 4, but having not seen the previous ones, I had no idea what was going on, so it didn't keep my attention, despite some cool cinematography.

Dracula (1979)
Pretty good set design and atmosphere. Frank Langella did fine playing Dracula (though he is no Christopher Lee nor Bela Lugosi), and I'll always love Donald Pleasence whenever I see him. The story was okay, but nothing special and didn't get me overly invested. The guy playing Van Hellsing is not fit to polish Peter Cushings boots. I also thought the movie was a bit too clean. There's almost no blood in it.
I did like the way
Dracula got defeated at the end, though it looked like they were setting up for a sequel.
All in all I enjoyed the film. Almost a 7, but it'll have to settle for a 6/10

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back