Last Film You Watched

Watched that Seinfeld cereal movie.

Maybe it's a comedy. If it is, it's not my type of comedy I guess. Like a bad SNL sketch, for one and a half 'kin hours.

Like there's nothing ludicrous enough or slapstick to be funny. There's also nothing clever enough to be funny. Also there's no real jokes.

Watched Das Boot after many years.
One thing for sure, being in submarine during depth charges attack is stuff of nightmares, i would rather charge trenches over open field than being stuck in metal coffin in dark abyss.
The film is basically a cut down version of the 3 part mini series that lasts about 5 hours. Been looking for it on DVD but can't find it anywhere.

Every character is superb.

The Fall Guy was good fun. Doesn’t take itself seriously, Gosling was a really good choice for the lead. Switch your brain off and have an entertaining couple of hours in the cinema.

As much it was almost impossible to do, I thought Emily Blunt was wrong for the part.

She’s a wonderful actor, but really doesn’t suit “ goofy “ roles.

I know it’s not meant to be taken seriously, but I thought it spoilt the fun a little bit.

As much it was almost impossible to do, I thought Emily Blunt was wrong for the part.

She’s a wonderful actor, but really doesn’t suit “ goofy “ roles.

I know it’s not meant to be taken seriously, but I thought it spoilt the fun a little bit.
I didn’t mind her but she’s one of those actors that I kind of like in everything. Definitely wasn’t her best work but I thought her and Gosling had pretty good chemistry and she was largely playing the straight role which is always a bit difficult to do much with.

come-over-here-bottles.gif

Top Gun: Maverick

So, it's hard to criticise a movie that achieves exactly what it sets out to do, and succeeds in that effort pretty much flawlessly. The aerial photography really is fantastic and technically the film is impressive, credit to the actors and filmmakers in making it happen.

Ultimately, if you love the first film, you'll love this, and if you're not in that camp (and I'm firmly not in that camp) you can still somewhat enjoy what is essentially a nostalgic remake of Top Gun (often shot for shot) machine tooled to push every button for its intended audience.

Much of it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and there were potentially some more interesting places you could have taken this that are hinted at - drone warfare, pilot obsolescence, limits of air superiority, but again not what the punters wanted.

I'm not gonna argue against a 1.5 billion dollar take, but its not a flick I'll ever revisit, same as the first one.
Yeah I never got the love in for it….didnt mind the first one, but this was essentially a remake in the sense that it had the same beats and similar visuals and soundtrack.

Time for a Nick Cage binge.

First up FaceOff, followed by The Rock, with a side order of Con Air to finish.
I know plenty ppl can't stand him/his acting/films, but has any else had a run of consecutive hit films like he had in that 2/3 year period? Also did Leaving Las Vegas just before those three. Spacey around the same time maybe?

I know plenty ppl can't stand him/his acting/films, but has any else had a run of consecutive hit films like he had in that 2/3 year period? Also did Leaving Las Vegas just before those three. Spacey around the same time maybe?
They’re all just really fun stupid action films from that time that Bruckheimer and Simpson excelled at. They defined that type of film in the late 80’s/90’s. They did exactly what they said on the tin. Happily watch any of them when they come on TV.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back