Led Zeppelin. BOSS

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're alright. Whole Lotta Love is an absolutely cracking song, but I got that Mothership best of album and couldn't really get on with it.

If people want to love them, that's cool, but I don't think I'll ever feel it myself.

They're alright. Whole Lotta Love is an absolutely cracking song, but I got that Mothership best of album and couldn't really get on with it.

If people want to love them, that's cool, but I don't think I'll ever feel it myself.

Which they didnt actually write.......

I love Zep. Everyone knows Whole Lotta Love, Stairway, etc, but bear this in mind, and compare to the "big" bands over the last 20 years.

Between Jan 1969, and Oct 1971, they did this;

4 albums, 2 of which are considered as total classics, (II & IV. Prefer III myself). IV is one of the top selling albums of all time. They went from being totally unknown, apart from Jimmy Page, to the biggest selling/grossing/touring band in the world, breaking sales and concert attendances set by the Beatles.

So, global domination, squillions of record sales, and 2 of the best selling rock albums, (including perhaps 4 all time classic tracks) in history. From scratch. In 3 years.

Nearest equivalent?

For short lived ( no pune intended ) but very excellent, Hendrix and Cream gave it a good go.

Saw Led Zep at Knebworth
*feeling smug

There are lots of great rocks bands around now, but no-one is really recognised as being "the best".
U2 are the only band that I can think of since Led Zep who dominated rock in a similar way ( up to about 87 ) and then tailed off.

Went to both Knebworths, then saw them twice in Germany 1980 on their last ever tour. Halcyon days.

I watched Robert Plant in Blackpool last week, he was outstanding

Anyone under 45 won't realise just how big Led Zep were or their influence on the musical world.

Patronising. You saying people under 45 can't obtain music knowledge from before their birth.

From what I've learnt about your musical tastes from your posts, I'd be surprised if you felt much affinity for LZ. And it is not easy to pick up the music of anyone nearly 35-45 years after the event and feel it in the way it was intended at the time. LZ were a colossal band who ruled the rock world.

If you fancied another crack, but with an album rather than a compilation, then LZ III is always a good introduction to this astonishing band.

From what I've learnt about your musical tastes from your posts, I'd be surprised if you felt much affinity for LZ. And it is not easy to pick up the music of anyone nearly 35-45 years after the event and feel it in the way it was intended at the time. LZ were a colossal band who ruled the rock world.

If you fancied another crack, but with an album rather than a compilation, then LZ III is always a good introduction to this astonishing band.

Is right that. Also, comparing the sound on their first 2 albums to what was around at the time will give someone an idea of just how powerful and different they sounded. Just 90 seconds into Led Zep 1, there is an astonishing short guitar solo, that the sound just knocks the socks off anything else at the time. Hendrix included.

Bumped.

Jury in Merica thrown out the plagerism case on Stairway to Heaven.

*waits for the whole lotta love one*

It is almost identicaly the same notes and timing so made up they have been cleared, that black and white Denmark vid from 1969 blows me away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back