Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I struggle with the concept that any footballer who has the talent and attitude to make it to the 0,000002% of footballing level as a PL/International player is a loser.

Not winning a few pots does not make you a loser.

Giving up on the talent and hard work to make it, cos its too hard, is a loser.

Different folks and all that.
Maybe a better way of putting it is 'he's not a winner'.

Ok mate, so he was approached or at least was the subject of a rumour. He waited to see what happened and, when Martinez said no, he stayed.
Hardly the first player to be involved in such a scenario and more unique than others in that it was his former manager trying to tempt him away. Maybe as much about working with Moyes again than leaving us for Man U.
Unlike.....Arteta, Lescott, Stones, Lukaku, Barkley, Moyes etc.
If he'd gone to United he might well have won a trophy - the FA Cup or League Cup. Once Moyes left - obviously.

Reactions: Loz
Reactions: FTY
Individual
Not glittering, granted.

There's been worse players than him with WC and CL winners medals. However, the stats dont lie, and he'll never be in the Van den Hauwe; Wilson, Hinchcliffe, Bailey legend category.

Bailey legend category.

Little known fact, on here anyrate, that John Bailey is a Bristol City legend as well. He pitched up here well past his sell by date, to be generous, struggled, to say the least, but then went and scored the spawniest goal ever against Bristol Rovers to win the match.

Crowd loved him after that.

If he'd gone to United he might well have won a trophy - the FA Cup or League Cup. Once Moyes left - obviously.
Haha, that is very true mate, sadly.
It’s strange really....I had certainly tired of Moyes’ brand of football and that first season under Martinez was as close as we’ve got to playing football of the quality of the heady days of the 80s, but I still find myself feeling sorry for Moyes. Even though he walked out on us.
And....even though Arteta behaved poorly when he forced his exit, I’d still have him back in some coaching capacity. Footballing brains like his are seemingly few and far between when you look at most “professional” footballers.

....I think his contract is up at the end of this season and he’s on big bucks. It would make sense for him and us if he found himself regular football, a guaranteed two year deal and a final pay day elsewhere. As good as he is, £85k per week is a lot to pay a reserve LB.

Robinson hasn’t done enough to suggest he can be an effective back-up but I think he’ll still be under contract next season and might have to suffice.

offer him reduced wages in his next contract, i.e. 35k a week, because it's a reduced role. He doesn't have to accept it.

There's been worse players than him with WC and CL winners medals. However, the stats dont lie, and he'll never be in the Van den Hauwe; Wilson, Hinchcliffe, Bailey legend category.
Hinchcliffe and Bailey very good players and good servants of the club but legends .....nah. Baines has been as good a servant and a far superior player to either.
In my opinion of course.

I'd love to see Bainesy and Seamus bombing down the flanks vs Bournemouth. Best fullbacks in the league? Well, that may be drawing a long bow, but certainly they wouldn't look out of place in a SKY6 outfit...and II can't give higher praise than that.

Very true, but I’d rate Baines higher than Hinchcliffe etc. Hinchcliffe was a magnificent deal ball deliverer and I struggle to think of someone who could whip a dangerous corner in like he could. Baines was a more complete left back though.
Pat VDH though...yes, a legend. As all that team rightly are.

I loved John Bailey, but Baines is way better than him. Also better than Hinchcliffe. Probably on a par with Van den Hauwe (left back was probably our only very slight weakness in the mid eighties team) as Pat was a very good defender, albeit a converted Centre Back but Baines far superior going forward. I've been watching Everton since 1974/5 and I would say Baines is the best left back I've seen in our shirt.

I loved John Bailey, but Baines is way better than him. Also better than Hinchcliffe. Probably on a par with Van den Hauwe (left back was probably our only very slight weakness in the mid eighties team) as Pat was a very good defender, albeit a converted Centre Back but Baines far superior going forward. I've been watching Everton since 1974/5 and I would say Baines is the best left back I've seen in our shirt.
In my opinion he is not even close to van den hauwe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back