Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, that is very true mate, sadly.
It’s strange really....I had certainly tired of Moyes’ brand of football and that first season under Martinez was as close as we’ve got to playing football of the quality of the heady days of the 80s, but I still find myself feeling sorry for Moyes. Even though he walked out on us.
And....even though Arteta behaved poorly when he forced his exit, I’d still have him back in some coaching capacity. Footballing brains like his are seemingly few and far between when you look at most “professional” footballers.
I honestly dont see what it is about Arteta. What tangible evidence is there beyond being Guardiola's mate that he has what it takes to be a managwer?

My response to these claims is always the same: go and prove it before you get a go at running this club.

Hinchcliffe and Bailey very good players and good servants of the club but legends .....nah. Baines has been as good a servant and a far superior player to either.
In my opinion of course.
Members of Everton sides that have won stuff - for me they will live long in the memeory as such...Baines, on the other hand, will be talked of by future generations of Evertonians as: "wasn't he that Style Council fan who played a load of games for Everton?".

Very true, but I’d rate Baines higher than Hinchcliffe etc. Hinchcliffe was a magnificent deal ball deliverer and I struggle to think of someone who could whip a dangerous corner in like he could. Baines was a more complete left back though.
Pat VDH though...yes, a legend. As all that team rightly are.
How is he a complete left back when he cant defend?

I loved John Bailey, but Baines is way better than him. Also better than Hinchcliffe. Probably on a par with Van den Hauwe (left back was probably our only very slight weakness in the mid eighties team) as Pat was a very good defender, albeit a converted Centre Back but Baines far superior going forward. I've been watching Everton since 1974/5 and I would say Baines is the best left back I've seen in our shirt.
Baines is not a LB. He never was. To be described as a "back" you have to be there and be defending professionally. He did neither very often.

Baines is not a LB. He never was. To be described as a "back" you have to be there and be defending professionally. He did neither very often.
To be honest, due to your somewhat biased viewpoint I don't value your opinion when it comes to Baines.

To be honest, due to your somewhat biased viewpoint I don't value your opinion when it comes to Baines.
I dont think too ,many other people would describe Baines as a defender. Never gets near a player to cut a cross out, pegging it back downfield to get back into position, turns his back on shots. He's done that throughout his career and it underlines how much he is not a defender.

Doesn't have the mentality or aptitude for it. He is a wide left player and he's been adapted to a LB position.

There are many areas where I disagree with Dave but this is not one of them. Baines has been a very good servant to the club but his playing career for us is at an end. Digne is the future Baines is at best a handy sub or he should move on say Villa for example.

There are many areas where I disagree with Dave but this is not one of them. Baines has been a very good servant to the club but his playing career for us is at an end. Digne is the future Baines is at best a handy sub or he should move on say Villa for example.
I don't disagree that his playing career is nearing the end. I do disagree with most of the other things that he says about Baines,

I dont think too ,many other people would describe Baines as a defender. Never gets near a player to cut a cross out, pegging it back downfield to get back into position, turns his back on shots. He's done that throughout his career and it underlines how much he is not a defender.

Doesn't have the mentality or aptitude for it. He is a wide left player and he's been adapted to a LB position.
Rubbish. He played his whole career as a marauding left back. Defenders don't play in the same way these days as they did 30 years ago, especially not full backs. As a defensive full back he was moderate, but he was the fulcrum of the team for several years, even leading our stats for assists 1 year, which is incredible for a left back.

I honestly dont see what it is about Arteta. What tangible evidence is there beyond being Guardiola's mate that he has what it takes to be a managwer?

My response to these claims is always the same: go and prove it before you get a go at running this club.
I didn’t say manager though. I said a coaching capacity. As Colin Harvey showed, one can be a great, skilful, intelligent midfielder and then become a great coach, without that necessarily translating into becoming a great manager.
Arteta? Great footballer, skilful, intelligent. Working with a top manager having also played under one, and seems to be becoming a respected coach. Might not become a great manager of course, but maybe worth a punt as a coach.

How is he a complete left back when he cant defend?
Granted he isn’t and wasn’t the greatest out and out defender, but he wasn’t bad. Also the role of a left back has changed since Hinchcliffe was at his peak twenty five years ago, and more of the emphasis is on getting forwards, which Baines was top class at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back