Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rubbish. He played his whole career as a marauding left back. Defenders don't play in the same way these days as they did 30 years ago, especially not full backs. As a defensive full back he was moderate, but he was the fulcrum of the team for several years, even leading our stats for assists 1 year, which is incredible for a left back.
He wasn't moderate, he was terrible.

I didn’t say manager though. I said a coaching capacity. As Colin Harvey showed, one can be a great, skilful, intelligent midfielder and then become a great coach, without that necessarily translating into becoming a great manager.
Arteta? Great footballer, skilful, intelligent. Working with a top manager having also played under one, and seems to be becoming a respected coach. Might not become a great manager of course, but maybe worth a punt as a coach.
As an assistant to an Everton manager, possibly. But he'd need to go and prove himself to be manager.

Reactions: Loz
Granted he isn’t and wasn’t the greatest out and out defender, but he wasn’t bad. Also the role of a left back has changed since Hinchcliffe was at his peak twenty five years ago, and more of the emphasis is on getting forwards, which Baines was top class at.
Basically we had two good wide left players in Pienaar and Baines, and they each shared defensive duties.

On his own though Baines was not defence-minded and almost by default cant be considered a LB - good or otherwise.

Reactions: Loz
Basically we had two good wide left players in Pienaar and Baines, and they each shared defensive duties.

On his own though Baines was not defence-minded and almost by default cant be considered a LB - good or otherwise.
You could say the same about Gary Stevens, or any other attacking full back. That's how it works. The fullback overlaps and the winger covers his position.

Members of Everton sides that have won stuff - for me they will live long in the memeory as such...Baines, on the other hand, will be talked of by future generations of Evertonians as: "wasn't he that Style Council fan who played a load of games for Everton?".
As an assistant to an Everton manager, possibly. But he'd need to go and prove himself to be manager.
yeah, I’d agree with that. Maybe one for the future and, for now, I guess we have to hope that Silva has a plan to turn the current form around....

At his peak he was the 2nd best Left Back in World Football, WITHOUT question.

Members of Everton sides that have won stuff - for me they will live long in the memeory as such...Baines, on the other hand, will be talked of by future generations of Evertonians as: "wasn't he that Style Council fan who played a load of games for Everton?".
Doubt it mate, fairly sure anyone born between the late mid 90s and early 2000's will remember him as one of the best players we saw play for us

World class for a while n anyone saying otherwise can't have watched us over that 3/4 year period

An icon of the Premier League era, on and off the pitch he is an Evertonian, great player who wore the shirt with pride

Doubt it mate, fairly sure anyone born between the late mid 90s and early 2000's will remember him as one of the best players we saw play for us

World class for a while n anyone saying otherwise can't have watched us over that 3/4 year period

That's a pretty low bar to negotiate...and it still doesn't make him a LB...because he wasn't and isn't a LB.

An icon of the Premier League era, on and off the pitch he is an Evertonian, great player who wore the shirt with pride
Ha Ha Ha Ha.

No one outside of Evertonians are remotley arsed about Baines.

"Icon of the Premier League".

Me toes are curling here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back