Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not having a go here mate it just happens to be your post I'm replying to, but I've heard about these comments you refer to especially from davek could you or anyone put up these comments be interesting to read them and the context they made.
Of course mate, no worries at all. So for context, these were days before a cup semi final. He may have been right but it's not the time or place, certainly in my opinion anyway.

It was very undermining of a manager that, whether you liked him or not, had to prepare a team for a huge game.

It also was one of the main reasons why the fans turned, when Martinez snapped back. Along with poor results, obviously.

BY PHIL KIRKBRIDE
16:00, 4 APR 2016UPDATED10:24, 5 APR 2016
JS86467769.jpg
Timothy Fosu-Mensah of Manchester United tackles Leighton Baines of Everton during the Barclays Premier League match between Manchester United and Everton at Old Trafford on April 3, 2016 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)
Leighton Baines has lifted the lid on Everton’s troubles by admitting: 'There’s no chemistry between the players right now'.

The Blues slumped to a third successive Premier League defeat on Sunday, as they lost 1-0 at Manchester United.

In a typically honest assessment of Everton’s plight, Baines says the players have let the Blues fans down and that FA Cup success is the only way to repay their support.

The left-back admits Everton’s season now hinges on their semi-final at Wembley later this month but insists that performances and results in the Premier League games either side do matter.

But Baines says that if the Blues are to drag themselves out of this rut then and take some form into the FA Cup then they players quickly need to rediscover their understanding with each other.

“You are only really secure as individuals when you are winning games but even then we will make changes from time to time with what is required tactically,” Baines told the ECHO.

“I don’t think there is anyone expecting to have their name pencilled in for that game (FA Cup semi-final).”

JS86310850.jpg
Leighton Baines during the Everton training session at Finch Farm on April 1(Photo by Tony McArdle/Everton FC via Getty Images)

“But the motivation should be getting your name there,” he added.

“I just don’t feel as though the chemistry is quite there with the team on the pitch at the moment, and it hasn’t been for a while.

“We are maybe leaning too heavily on individuals to come up with something.

“We’re in games, we were in the game on Sunday and had a couple of chances, but we’re not performing as a team to the level we know we can or we should be.

“Results have an impact on that because chemistry and confidence go hand in hand, if you start winning games.

“Look at the teams who are having success this year and you’d say they have chemistry.

“If I had to say one thing, I just don’t know if it’s there with us at the moment, for whatever reason.”

READ: Who was booing who in Blues dressing room?
READ: Jagielka warns Everton players
READ: Transfer rumours - Blues battle with Manchester United for Dutch striker
Everton are languishing in 12th in the table, on 38 points, with eight games remaining.

The Blues’ home form has been wretched this season but they have fared much better on the road.

But after a limp display, they fell to a second away defeat in the league of the campaign at Old Trafford on Sunday.

“It’s another game where we have come away without a win and we’re not where we should be,” Baines said.

JS85431754.jpg
Leighton Baines and Phil Jagielka.
“We haven’t won enough games to make excuses.

“You get judged at the end of the season, and we’re getting towards the end of the season, and we’re not near a position we should be in given what we’ve got.

“We’re all accountable. We try and put it right but we’ve not been able to. That’s the third loss on the bounce in the league which is disappointing to us all.

“We want to win everytime we go out to play and we’d like to go into that cup game with a few wins behind us.

“That’s our season in some respects now, it certainly is from the fans’ point of view and we’ve let them down a lot, it’s our only way of making it up to them.

“To go on and have success in the Cup now. You had the travelling fans there again on Sunday and they are amazing, they follow us wherever we go and generally they have seen us win a few games this season but unfortunately we weren’t able to give them the result or performance we wanted to."

Of course mate, no worries at all. So for context, these were days before a cup semi final. He may have been right but it's not the time or place, certainly in my opinion anyway.

It was very undermining of a manager that, whether you liked him or not, had to prepare a team for a huge game.

It also was one of the main reasons why the fans turned, when Martinez snapped back. Along with poor results, obviously.

BY PHIL KIRKBRIDE
JS86467769.jpg
Timothy Fosu-Mensah of Manchester United tackles Leighton Baines of Everton during the Barclays Premier League match between Manchester United and Everton at Old Trafford on April 3, 2016 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)
Leighton Baines has lifted the lid on Everton’s troubles by admitting: 'There’s no chemistry between the players right now'.

The Blues slumped to a third successive Premier League defeat on Sunday, as they lost 1-0 at Manchester United.

In a typically honest assessment of Everton’s plight, Baines says the players have let the Blues fans down and that FA Cup success is the only way to repay their support.

The left-back admits Everton’s season now hinges on their semi-final at Wembley later this month but insists that performances and results in the Premier League games either side do matter.

But Baines says that if the Blues are to drag themselves out of this rut then and take some form into the FA Cup then they players quickly need to rediscover their understanding with each other.

“You are only really secure as individuals when you are winning games but even then we will make changes from time to time with what is required tactically,” Baines told the ECHO.

“I don’t think there is anyone expecting to have their name pencilled in for that game (FA Cup semi-final).”

JS86310850.jpg
Leighton Baines during the Everton training session at Finch Farm on April 1(Photo by Tony McArdle/Everton FC via Getty Images)

“I just don’t feel as though the chemistry is quite there with the team on the pitch at the moment, and it hasn’t been for a while.

“We’re in games, we were in the game on Sunday and had a couple of chances, but we’re not performing as a team to the level we know we can or we should be.

“Results have an impact on that because chemistry and confidence go hand in hand, if you start winning games.

“Look at the teams who are having success this year and you’d say they have chemistry.

“If I had to say one thing, I just don’t know if it’s there with us at the moment, for whatever reason.”

Everton are languishing in 12th in the table, on 38 points, with eight games remaining.

The Blues’ home form has been wretched this season but they have fared much better on the road.

But after a limp display, they fell to a second away defeat in the league of the campaign at Old Trafford on Sunday.

“It’s another game where we have come away without a win and we’re not where we should be,” Baines said.

JS85431754.jpg

“You get judged at the end of the season, and we’re getting towards the end of the season, and we’re not near a position we should be in given what we’ve got.

“We’re all accountable. We try and put it right but we’ve not been able to. That’s the third loss on the bounce in the league which is disappointing to us all.

“We want to win everytime we go out to play and we’d like to go into that cup game with a few wins behind us.

“That’s our season in some respects now, it certainly is from the fans’ point of view and we’ve let them down a lot, it’s our only way of making it up to them.

“To go on and have success in the Cup now. You had the travelling fans there again on Sunday and they are amazing, they follow us wherever we go and generally they have seen us win a few games this season but unfortunately we weren’t able to give them the result or performance we wanted to."
Thanks for that mate, I've read it twice and for me the only people he's pointing the finger at is the players, no chemistry, players letting the fans down,it's the players who have to drag us out of this slump, everything he said was spot on, do I see it as undermining the manager personally I don't, to me he's holding the players to account and rightfully so. If people see it as undermining the manager that that is their opinion, and only an opinion not fact.

Thanks for that mate, I've read it twice and for me the only people he's pointing the finger at is the players, no chemistry, players letting the fans down,it's the players who have to drag us out of this slump, everything he said was spot on, do I see it as undermining the manager personally I don't, to me he's holding the players to account and rightfully so. If people see it as undermining the manager that that is their opinion, and only an opinion not fact.
It's because it didn't tally with what Martinez was saying, that we were in a phenomenal moment, we didn't need to practice set pieces or defending, and that Tom Cleverly was going to be better than Pele.

It's because it didn't tally with what Martinez was saying, that we were in a phenomenal moment, we didn't need to practice set pieces or defending, and that Tom Cleverly was going to be better than Pele.

None of which is true, and it's stuff like this that makes your case look like the caricature it is.

The problem at Everton in the second half of Martinez's reign here was mostly with the team...and their lack of character...which is what Vlasic underlined in spades today. A spineless bunch of no marks frightened of their own fans and probably their own shadows. Martinez leaves and has professionals to work with and is a success.

Still, you'll carry on with the nonsensical attacks because its all you have to throw...and we're rubbish still...and you feel you need to look for a familiar scapegoat. I understand.

None of which is true, and it's stuff like this that makes your case look like the caricature it is.

The problem at Everton in the second half of Martinez's reign here was mostly with the team...and their lack of character...which is what Vlasic underlined in spades today. Martinez leaves and has professionals to work with and is a success.

Still, you'll carry on with the nonsensical attacks because its all you have and we're rubbish still and you feel you need to look for a familiar scapegoat. I understand.
The bloke was full of it Dave. I like positivity as much as anyone, but not blind optimism which prevents you from seeing what everyone else can see.

The bloke was full of it Dave. I like positivity as much as anyone, but not blind optimism which prevents you from seeing what everyone else can see.

The whole Martinez era is summed up in this way:

First 18 months he got average to good players playing at maximum capacity, and he got performances to match that.
Second 18 months he had players who couldn't develop and there was little cash to leave them aside and change up.

It's as simple as that. He was unrealistic and too stubborn to make the adaptations and cope with that scenario...and that's what brought him down.

A good coach who showed too much faith in players incapable of carrying out his vision.

BY PHIL KIRKBRIDE
JS86467769.jpg

JS86310850.jpg

JS85431754.jpg

I honestly don't see that as undermining the manager at all, basically saying they weren't playing well and that's it.

The whole Martinez era is summed up in this way:

First 18 months he got average to good players playing at maximum capacity, and he got performances to match that.
Second 18 months he had players who couldn't develop and there was little cash to leave them aside and change up.

It's as simple as that. He was unrealistic and too stubborn to make the adaptations and cope with that scenario...and that's what brought him down.

A good coach who showed too much faith in players incapable of carrying out his vision.
index.webp

The problem at Everton in the second half of Martinez's reign here was mostly with the team...and their lack of character...which is what Vlasic underlined in spades today. A spineless bunch of no marks frightened of their own fans and probably their own shadows. Martinez leaves and has professionals to work with and is a success.

Still, you'll carry on with the nonsensical attacks because its all you have to throw...and we're rubbish still...and you feel you need to look for a familiar scapegoat. I understand.
Let's see if he has any success in club football, where he needs to work with players everyday, shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back