Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't have a bad word said about Baines. Stayed when it was possible for him to leave, it was probably a wrong career move to be honest. A nice guy but too nice as times. That time he let Mirallas take the penalty was case in point.

Himself and Pienaar were an absolute joy to watch.

It depends what you call a legend. “Modern day legends” as they say you’d go Baines, Cahill, Ferguson maybe.

But compare them to Southall, Kendall, Ratcliffe, Sheedy, West etc. who’ve won multiple league titles and other trophies it’s a no contest.

I’m not knocking every player who’s played for us since 1995. But I think the word legend is overused these days, certainly by the the media. One TV programme had “Everton legend Phil Neville” on the other week.

That TV programme should be prosecuted under the Trades Description Act. ;)

Should I have used flippant? Same same. I think the mockery of dean windass and hull city is tantamount to what other more successful clubs fans do to our players. Do we like it when they do it to us? No. So why is it alright to do it to them? This was only done to belittle a point which was instrumental in highlighting the fundemental flaw in the previous statements.

So let me get this straight, last season we had baines and no other left back, now that we have bough a left back to take/compete with baines some people want baines out the door. It would be much more beneficial for Robinson to be playing every week and improving his craft than sitting on bench in PL and only getting cup games. Baines contract is out in the summer. No reason for him to go anywhere.

Baines isn't a legend, come on now.

Good player for us in the main. I like my legends to be rare though. If Baines is one then so are loads who have played for us.

Baines isn't a legend, come on now.

Good player for us in the main. I like my legends to be rare though. If Baines is one then so are loads who have played for us.

He's been a fantastic servant and let's not forget at his peak was one of the most productive defenders in europe going forward, in a side that won absolutely nothing.

Could have left, wanted to stay, so in some people's eyes,that qualifies him as a legend.

In a period of the clubs history where we haven't actually won anything for nearly 25 years, what other criteria do we deem fit for qualification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back