Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then they won't get him (y)

youre-goddamn-right-gif.gif

I'm missing something here? He's under contract and is probably our best player. He's a scouser playing in a good Everton team who is on the cusp of making the England left back position his own too so unless there's been no angling for a move from him then it's down to us making a simple statement: he's not for sale.

Moyes can get to [Poor language removed] too for being behind this, but the ball is very much in our court at the moment.

Cole went from one title winning side to another. Where else would he go? Or a club would afford him.

And clubs don't need to see a player agitated, they make them agitated like United are doing.

We came in on this with you saying top clubs haven't shown a great deal of interest in Baines - and you were uisng that as a benchmark for how much he is coveted. But we've established that Baines is coveted by two of the elite clubs in world football whilst Cole hasn't exercised anyone's interest as far as I'm aware (apart from switching to Chelsea from Arsenal). We wouldn't expect Cole to go to United for £10-£12M would we? And the argument doesn't hold that it's different for us because Chelsea dont need to sell and therefore the price is inflated due to that, we only need look at the Lescott and Rodwell deals to put the lie to that.

Last edited:
I've a feeling that the amount will be increased or we are offered player plus cash fir him and also can see zaha coming on loan aswell...

It's like us bidding £12 million for RVP or Rooney, it would get the same response. Absolute joke of a bid, didn't we sell Jack Rodwell for a similar price? It would take a bid in the region of 18 to 20 million before I would even consider thinking about it.

It's like us bidding £12 million for RVP or Rooney, it would get the same response. Absolute joke of a bid, didn't we sell Jack Rodwell for a similar price? It would take a bid in the region of 18 to 20 million before I would even consider thinking about it.
Their bid is an insult to Everton Football Club. As someone on here said earlier, we shouldn't even have reponded to it. Waited for a few days and make a double bid of £8m for van Persie and Rooney.

As a benchmark Jordi Alba went from Valencia to Barcelona for £11.96m last year and he's only 24. Anyone thinking that a 28 year old with very little european or international experience is worth £20m is sadly deluded.

As a benchmark Jordi Alba went from Valencia to Barcelona for £11.96m last year and he's only 24. Anyone thinking that a 28 year old with very little european or international experience is worth £20m is sadly deluded.

If we are talking benchmarks then that is a terrible one to go by. Valencia and almost every spanish club are on much more tenuous financial grounds than us. They simply had to sell.

Edit: Also look at the other English players that have been sold in the last few years. The prices for people like Barry, Milner, etc should be more of a benchmark than a spanish transfer.

I think Baines will be quite content to see his career out at Everton. He just seems a chilled out geezer who doesn't want a fuss. Problem is if United up the bid then I can see Kenwright reluctantly (my arse) accepting it.

The little bit of cynicism in me has me wondering if Moyes has bid because he has been encouraged. Its not a contradiction on my side but a small but awful feeling.

Last edited:

I don't really care for what price Valencia sell their players. £20m would be the bare minimum we should be looking at and even than I would feel robbed. If they don't wish to meet our demands, even better, Baines stays.

Anyone thinking that a 28 year old with very little european or international experience is worth £20m is sadly deluded.

Baines is our best player. He's one of the best fullbacks in world football. He's also English, which inexplicably ups the price.

£20 million isn't deluded. We don't have to sell him, and he doesn't want to go, so it would take a bid in that region to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back