Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.

I reckon they will as well, or 10 million plus Anderson. They will rip us off, and play us like a fcuking piano.

Were Moyes still here and Ferguson still at United, I'd be more worried about that happening. Let's hope Kenwright feels aggrieved enough to throw a spanner or two in the works.

As a benchmark Jordi Alba went from Valencia to Barcelona for £11.96m last year and he's only 24. Anyone thinking that a 28 year old with very little european or international experience is worth £20m is sadly deluded.

Jordi Alba had one year left on his contract, so a decent price...and, as others have implied, a sale between two Spanish clubs will reflect their leagues going rate, not our going rate.

We came in on this with you saying top clubs haven't shown a great deal of interest in Baines - and you were uisng that as a benchmark for how much he is coveted. But we've established that Baines is coveted by two of the elite clubs in world football whilst Cole hasn't exercised anyone's interest as far as I'm aware (apart from switching to Chelsea from Arsenal). We wouldn't expect Cole to go to United for £10-£12M would we? And the argument doesn't hold that it's different for us because Chelsea dont need to sell and therefore the price is inflated due to that, we only need look at the Lescott and Rodwell deals to put the lie to that.

Cole was already at a "top" European club. So prizing him away in his pomp would've cost a lot of money for another top European club to battle for his signature from Chelsea. You can say the same for a lot of class players that play for Uniteds etc. They're already at the top.. Unless they want more money.

Case with Baines is that, he's very approachable for top European clubs as he plays for a team not fighting for titles or playing in the Champions league. Yet only 2 clubs have been interested, with one tabling a less than great bid. Plenty of clubs could turn his head . Man City don't have a better left back...etc.

From that it seem to me like he's not overly converted in Europe as he should be. Hence the ****ty bids and the lack of sustained interested from elsewhere.

I'm just trying to justify the bid tabled. A bid they've eyed up twice

Last edited:
Doubt if Moyes decided the level of the bid, just that he wanted the player. Still, it's an excuse for some people to blame everyone including their fellow supporters for our present predicament.

'Manager leaves club and then wants to bring his better players with him', shock, horror. It has happened forever if football and will continue to happen. I very much doubt there would be level of dogs abuse that Moyes is getting here if SAF had still been at Utd and come in with a bid, which he probably would have after going after Baines last summer.

Having said all that United can fook right off. Judging by his comments I'd be reasonably confident that Baines will stay because he will be guaranteed 1st team football here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back