Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubt if Moyes decided the level of the bid, just that he wanted the player. Still, it's an excuse for some people to blame everyone including their fellow supporters for our present predicament.

'Manager leaves club and then wants to bring his better players with him', shock, horror. It has happened forever if football and will continue to happen. I very much doubt there would be level of dogs abuse that Moyes is getting here if SAF had still been at Utd and come in with a bid, which he probably would have after going after Baines last summer.

Having said all that United can fook right off. Judging by his comments I'd be reasonably confident that Baines will stay because he will be guaranteed 1st team football here.

How can you divorce Moyes from that bid? He's just asked his CEO to get Baines and let him decide on the value...the feller who's managed Baines for the past 7 years deferring to some suit?

Hardly likely is it?

If you look at the 15 most expensive defenders in Premier League history:

Ferdinand £40.5m
Carvalho £26.5m
Luiz £26.5m
Lescott £24m
Ferdinand £23m
Kolarov £20m
Bosingwa £18m
Johnson £18m
Ferriera £17.5m
Jones £17m
Toure £16.5m
Woodgate £16m
Stam £15m
Nastasic £13.5m
Samba £13m

Only 4 of those are full backs and the peak value is £20m (Transfermarkt).

According to Wiki Kolarov's transfer fee was actually £16m when he joined City from Lazio in 2010. He was aged 24.

Wiki claim that Bosingwa cost Chelsea £16.3m from Porto. He was 25 at the time.

Liverpool supposedly paid Portsmouth £10m for Johnson as well as writing off £7m they were owed for Crouch. He was 24.

Ferriera was 25 when he joined Chelsea from Porto for a reported £13.2m.

So the ceiling price could actually be £17m and all of those players had their peak years ahead of them, whereas Baines will be 29 before Christmas.

So what your saying is lets bend over and accept the bid from the Ginger ****, Baines is worth more than £20 mil to Everton , you are talking about the best left back in Europe

...and have prices inflated since then d'you think (especally given the extra new revenue)?

You seem to want to talk Baines out of the club on the cheap. He's in his prime and one of the best attacking defenders in world football. We deserve twice what's being offered at least.
20-25m is what we should expect. I'd hope even the chairman can see that.

Jordi Alba had one year left on his contract, so a decent price...and, as others have implied, a sale between two Spanish clubs will reflect their leagues going rate, not our going rate.

If Moyes decided that he wanted Baines how ever much it cost then surely their Chief Exec would have phoned Elstone and asked him to name his price and then, with a minimum of negotiation, offered it. Maybe that conversation has taken place and they have been told that Baines isn't for sale. They might then have put £12m of real money on the table to test how resolute we really are.

Now that they've declared their valuation of him I don't think they can raise it by more than £5m without either looking like they're being taken to the cleaners or that they made a derisory offer in the first place.

A couple of years ago £9m of Bayern's money was supposedly good enough. He's played more games for England since then but he's also got a couple of years older, so it's difficult to argue that he's worth a lot more.

If Moyes decided that he wanted Baines how ever much it cost then surely their Chief Exec would have phoned Elstone and asked him to name his price and then, with a minimum of negotiation, offered it. Maybe that conversation has taken place and they have been told that Baines isn't for sale. They might then have put £12m of real money on the table to test how resolute we really are.

Now that they've declared their valuation of him I don't think they can raise it by more than £5m without either looking like they're being taken to the cleaners or that they made a derisory offer in the first place.

A couple of years ago £9m of Bayern's money was supposedly good enough. He's played more games for England since then but he's also got a couple of years older, so it's difficult to argue that he's worth a lot more.

Exactly, which makes your Jordi Alaba 'benchmark' point even more wrong.

.. He's in his prime and one of the best attacking defenders in world football. We deserve twice what's being offered at least.

Even then I'm not sure selling him makes sense. If Baines wants to go its another matter but I'll not forget/forgive Moyes for this one. Baines is our single top notch player. To offer peanuts for him - WHEN STILL EMPLOYED BY EVERTON is taking the absolute mick

Baines and Martinez the ultimate likeable, insightful, down to Earth duo. Would be criminal not to see him tearing up the left in our new crazy attacking set up. Koff Moyes you bygone dour tartan twåt

Even then I'm not sure selling him makes sense. If Baines wants to go its another matter but I'll not forget/forgive Moyes for this one. Baines is our single top notch player. To offer peanuts for him - WHEN STILL EMPLOYED BY EVERTON is taking the absolute mick

Yeah mate, but it's *nothing to do with Moyes* though...he's the manager of Man City or Arsenal i think...he's got nothing to do with United.

...and have prices inflated since then d'you think (especally given the extra new revenue)?

You seem to want to talk Baines out of the club on the cheap. He's in his prime and one of the best attacking defenders in world football. We deserve twice what's being offered at least.

I imagine that the prices were inflated anyway because of the 'new money' effect of changes in ownership at their respective clubs. Bosingwa would probably be the exception to that.

I don't want Baines to leave, I'm just trying to imagine some of the points that could be raised if the clubs sat down and tried to accurately value the player.

Chelsea will only offer 1 year contracts to players over the age of 30 so, at 29, if he hasn't already peaked, Baines isn't going to get much better.

I mentioned this in the previous post. It doesn't hold water when you consider what Everton took in for Lescott. We dont need to cave in. You cant say that Cole would fetch more because he's at a CL club. Look at what Bayern had to fork out for Martinez at another non-CL club: £32M.

If you turn down Bayern Munich then I think others look on and say 'we've got **** all chance then'. It doesn't mean he isn;t coveted - just that the chances of his removal were slim.

Oh I've never doubted a fee we should command, I've justified the bid they've currently offered.

Additionally, Bayern cooled their interest due to either the quality of the player or the fact they didn't rate him that much to justify the fee. He never turned them down as they didn't press on.

The list that's been put up here of defenders and fees says a lot too. Age plays a factor etc.

But like I've said before, balls in our court.

I imagine that the prices were inflated anyway because of the 'new money' effect of changes in ownership at their respective clubs. Bosingwa would probably be the exception to that.

I don't want Baines to leave, I'm just trying to imagine some of the points that could be raised if the clubs sat down and tried to accurately value the player.

Chelsea will only offer 1 year contracts to players over the age of 30 so, at 29, if he hasn't already peaked, Baines isn't going to get much better.

He's not 29 though, he's 28 and he's the England LB and has a great fitness record, has two years left on his contract and has the most assists from any player in Europe from his position etc etc.

There's not much room for debate on this one. £20-25M for our lynchpin player or they can **** right off. That has to be the non-negotiable line here and the reasonable one too.

Exactly, which makes your Jordi Alaba 'benchmark' point even more wrong.

I'm not quite sure what you're agreeing with. Besides crazy fees like Dani Alves and Coentrao, who were both in their mid twenties when they moved, the maximum price for a fullback seems to be in the region of £16m. United would have to want Baines so much that they'd be prepared to overlook his age and pay the going rate for a younger player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back