Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I've never doubted a fee we should command, I've justified the bid they've currently offered.

Additionally, Bayern cooled their interest due to either the quality of the player or the fact they didn't rate him that much to justify the fee. He never turned them down as they didn't press on.

The list that's been put up here of defenders and fees says a lot too. Age plays a factor etc.

But like I've said before, balls in our court.

To describe Baines as a 'defender' is like saying Michael Angelo just did a bit of painting.

In short on all this: I've seen no valid counter arguments against accepting only offers above £20M for Baines. None. Not in this day and age and the prices knocking about.

I think that this is Moyes testing Martinez.
Moyes knows that Kenwright will let his manager make the decision to sell or keep(even though technically that man is still Moyes).
Martinez probably has some players that he would really like to bring to Everton,McCarthy being the most obvious or Moses.Moyes is testing the water to see if Martinez has any interest in building up a transfer fund for himself.
I think that if Martinez gives a flat no then Moyes will move on to other targets. I would ask for 23m and say if you want him that's your price.For a full back soon to be 29 it would be hard to turn dow.I wouldn't be surprised if that were to happen he might end up in Manchester but maybe not Utd.

I'm not quite sure what you're agreeing with. Besides crazy fees like Dani Alves and Coentrao, who were both in their mid twenties when they moved, the maximum price for a fullback seems to be in the region of £16m. United would have to want Baines so much that they'd be prepared to overlook his age and pay the going rate for a younger player.

That'd be a full back that creates more chances than anyone else on Earth?

That as a player has a cracking injury record, doesn't rely wholly on pace and is as solid and down to earth as they come?

Anything less than £25m and we'll have been raped.

To describe Baines as a 'defender' is like saying Michael Angelo just did a bit of painting.

In short on all this: I've seen no valid counter arguments against accepting only offers above £20M for Baines. None. Not in this day and age and the prices knocking about.

And you know kenwright won't be that demanding and he'll got for less than that, like billycopper says, because of reasons mentioned.

It'll be ****, but that's how it will be.

That'd be a full back that creates more chances than anyone else on Earth?

That as a player has a cracking injury record, doesn't rely wholly on pace and is as solid and down to earth as they come?

Anything less than £25m and we'll have been raped.

The chairman is used to that

And you know kenwright won't be that demanding and he'll got for less than that, like billycopper says, because of reasons mentioned.

It'll be ****, but that's how it will be.

It need not be. We have a hand to play. We haven;t got a fire sale on. It takes resolve and a bit of savvy is all.

It need not be. We have a hand to play. We haven;t got a fire sale on. It takes resolve and a bit of savvy is all.

If they keep knocking, Bill will cave at £18mill. They'll ask Baines if he wants to go really late in the day, and that will be that (I think he'll go if came to the crunch).

But I can see United not chasing it too hard like last season.

He's not 29 though, he's 28 and he's the England LB and has a great fitness record, has two years left on his contract and has the most assists from any player in Europe from his position etc etc.

There's not much room for debate on this one. £20-25M for our lynchpin player or they can **** right off. That has to be the non-negotiable line here and the reasonable one too.

On 11 December he will be 29. As far as I'm aware he's only played four competitive games for England and two of those were against San Marino, so it's a bit of a stretch to say that he's England's left back. He did create the most chances of any player but he only set up 5 goals compared to Mata (12), Cazorla (11), Gerrard (9) and Silva (8).

Here are the oldest players in the top 50 most expensive Premier League defenders:

Toure (28) Arsenal-City £16.5m
Samba (28) Anzhi-QPR £13m
Bridge (28) Chelsea-City £11.5m
Woodgate (28) Middlesboro-Spurs £9.5m

The only comparable I can find is Heinze going from United to Real for £10.5m aged 29.

So far Baines has given no indication that he wants to leave even contributing a piece on the o/s about looking forward to working with Martinez.
As well, he is still contracted to Everton and has two or three years left to run.

Do you remember when Lescott wanted to leave,it started almost as soon as the season was over when he failed to confirm that he wouls stay. It is totally different with Baines and this puts Everton in a strong position.It will force Utd to go away or pay proper money.

On 11 December he will be 29. As far as I'm aware he's only played four competitive games for England and two of those were against San Marino, so it's a bit of a stretch to say that he's England's left back. He did create the most chances of any player but he only set up 5 goals compared to Mata (12), Cazorla (11), Gerrard (9) and Silva (8).

Here are the oldest players in the top 50 most expensive Premier League defenders:

Toure (28) Arsenal-City £16.5m
Samba (28) Anzhi-QPR £13m
Bridge (28) Chelsea-City £11.5m
Woodgate (28) Middlesboro-Spurs £9.5m

The only comparable I can find is Heinze going from United to Real for £10.5m aged 29.

I'd say the blame there lies completely with the strikers.

I think there's a fundamental difference between what he's worth to Man Utd and what he's worth to us. I can accept the stats above for a team that wants to play Baines as a standard left-back but for us he's everything.

Which makes it even worse that Moyes has come in for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back