Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't blame Baines if he wants to go and play CL at Utd but he's given every indication of being happy at the club. Strikes me as very underhand by Utd. They now have pretty much a total insight into Everton's financial situation from Moyes and they are exploiting it. If they are very interested they will up the offer and then it will be up to Baines to force the move. Can't say I'm surprised that this has happened. Moyes has definitely burned a lot of bridges with this one, but he wants to get the best players for his team so it's understandable. Just very a very cheap shot.

You have to take into consideration something important, this is most probably the first thing Moyes is doing as United manager, he can’t pull out of the deal, he has to show that he is in control, he wants someone, he will get him.

If I was a United fan, I will worry if Moyes wasn’t even able to bring in a player he bought for his previous club, how the hell will he attract world class players from Europe?

Moyes has to show that he is in control, his the boss now, so he will do anything to get his man, if our board play it right, they can get 20+M which wont be a disaster.

Last edited:
How can you divorce Moyes from that bid? He's just asked his CEO to get Baines and let him decide on the value...the feller who's managed Baines for the past 7 years deferring to some suit?

Hardly likely is it?

I would very much doubt if Moyes at this early stage of his Utd life has any sway with the people at the club who are in charge of the finances. It's more likely to be the polar opposite of his position at Everton where he basically could decide 'how much' on his own.

Francis Jeffers ‏@FJ10official 37m
I tell u wat will happen with bainesy we will sell him say we didn't want to and blame player same **** different day #experience

I'm surprised by Moyes to be honest I think this is a really cheap shot. If they are serious and up there offer he's gone. I will be gutted as it will weaken the team. There is no way we will get a player as good.

I agree with the comment he is worth more to us than other teams.

**** off Moyes.

Cant believe that on Talksport they said 12-15mill "he's worth a little bit more than that" get to feck Cundy you probably valued cashley at about 27 when he was at his best, and Baines is better now than he EVER was, in fact you probably rate Cole as worth more than that now.

If we sell him for 20m we'll come out of it a better team, but I still don't want us to sell.

At the moment we're the 6th best team in the league, i.e. not good enough for Europe.

By selling him we'd probably go down the route of replacing him with a 'worse' player (not difficult is it!) for a fraction of the cost, but then target a top striker with the rest of the money. Say, a 5m left back, and a 12/15m striker.

We'd remain solid in defence, and (ideally) swap Baines' 5 goals and 10 assists a season for a 15-goal a season striker.

That ought to improve us from not-good-enough-for-Europe to challenging-the-top-five.

Let me make it clear I don't want him to go, though.

If we sell him for 20m we'll come out of it a better team, but I still don't want us to sell.

At the moment we're the 6th best team in the league, i.e. not good enough for Europe.

By selling him we'd probably go down the route of replacing him with a 'worse' player (not difficult is it!) for a fraction of the cost, but then target a top striker with the rest of the money. Say, a 5m left back, and a 12/15m striker.

We'd remain solid in defence, and (ideally) swap Baines' 5 goals and 10 assists a season for a 15-goal a season striker.

That ought to improve us from not-good-enough-for-Europe to challenging-the-top-five.

Let me make it clear I don't want him to go, though.

Couple points to be made here. The only reason sixth wasn't good enough for Europe was because of Wigan and Swansea. Next 5m spent (and it would get him as we all know what Spain is like at the moment) on Siqueira wouldn't be all that much of a downgrade.
Finally I agree that we could then spend the rest on a top class striker but I see us challenging the top four if this scenario becomes reality.

Baines wont be going anywhere unless a serious offer ( 17-18m ) comes in and he pushes for it.
And if the worse does happen and he does go well its a chance to give Oviedo a go. We may be sitting on another diamond with him but we wont know until hes given a chance

£17 million would be a good price, anything less then don't sell. If we did sell him, Luke Shaw is the only player i'd want!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back