Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel nothing but dislike for David Moyes, nothing would please me more than to see him fail miserably.

when we sold Rooney it was Newcastle that pushed the price up by bidding so yes it does happen. Also Newcastle did it when they bought Michael Owen fromReal Madrid

Has there ever, EVER been a "bidding war" for a player? It's one of those things that gets mentioned in the press, but never actually seems to happen.
It's a nonsense term, really.

Say United put a £20 million bid in, and we accepted it, City would merely have to match that bid to also get the right to talk to him. They wouldn't have to push it higher.

The selling club has to judge when they've received the best bid they're likely to get for a player. It isn't that two clubs are fighting with each other over the bid.

I feel nothing but dislike for David Moyes, nothing would please me more than to see him fail miserably.

who would you like to win the title then? It will only be Chelsea or City, Chelsea's fans are dogs City have bought it. Its inevitable that Moyes would go for some of our players like Martinez and Kone. Its the way it works.

Don't let the hate eat you up!

Why did you miss out the bit where I suggest using the Baines money to sign Negredo? There is a reason why boss strikers tend to cost more than even the best left backs. I think we would be better off losing Baines and replacing Anichebe with Negredo, rather than keeping Baines and continuing with the likes of Anichebe. Baines has his negatives as well, he provides less defensive protection than Coleman does. Our team would improve if we gained Negredo at the expense of losing Baines IMO.
I addressed it in an earlier post in which I said we'd have a striker who is better at converting chances and a team which is creating far less chances. I'd be quite surprised if Oviedo or Distin led all top-flight leagues in creating chances.

Look at the difference between Baines and the guy in tenth place -- remember the guy in tenth is still top ten in the league -- are Distin or Oviedo going to be top ten in the league? And that's comparing him with attacking players -- the difference between Baines and other defenders is even more massive.

http://www.eplindex.com/22172/baines-leads-comparison-europes-creators.html

(Yes it's not from the whole season but he finished the season in first.)

The difference in conversion rate between a striker like Negredo and an average striker is not as big as the difference between Baines and an average LB. Baines is massively better than the average LB. Strikers cost more because teams incorrectly value the 5-10 extra goals an elite striker might get you over a team which is creating more chances but has average strikers. The end result is the same and one way is cheaper.

http://www.soccerstatistically.com/...e-epl-chances-created-and-chance-convers.html

You can improve by creating more chance or being better at converting chances (or ideally both). You don't improve by getting very slightly better at converting chances and getting worse at creating chances.

... and that doesn't even get into actual goals. Baines scored 7. Does his replacement get 3? 4? So sub those lost goals, lost chances, some lost defensive attributes (he is better at defending than Oviedo -- could be worth a 3 or 4 goals a season) out of Negredo's total ... I'd have a hard time thinking we are better after losing all of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back