Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but if you know that another club is interested then you can decline allowing the club to speak to the player in the hope that they come back, or the other club comes in. The bidding club knowing someone else is in the wings will bid high to make sure it happens quickly

Exactly. The brinkmanship all happens before you accept a bid. Afterwards, it's out of your hands.

We shouldn't entertain a bid lower than £18m.

Those saying that we wouldn't miss Baines or he's "weak defensively" are deluding themselves. He's the best left back in the country by a mile and one of the best in the world. Losing him would be a massive blow.

Once we accept a bid, the next step is allowing the player to talk to the club. It's then in the player's hands. That's what it means to be allowed to talk to another club.

In order to be afforded the same privilege, a second club would only have to match whatever bid was accepted. There's absolutely no sense in coming in above an accepted fee.

Kyle Naughton?

This.

Baines is great going forward but at the back he is not all that good.

A couple of incidents spring to mind from last season, the careless pass which resulted in Sunderland's goal in the 1-0 defeat there and the daft, needless foul tackle which conceeded the free kick from which Norwich equalised in the last minute at Goodison (for which Moyes publically lambasted him).

Don't get me wrong. I want Baines to stay and all players make mistakes but the notion that Baines is the be all and end all at Everton is just plain silly.

If United, or any other team, want him then let him go happen the price is right.

And use the dough to strengthen the attack.

Disregarding the fact that Moyes actually lambasted the ref for giving it, on average, Baines goes 1530 minutes between defensive errors, thats among the best defensive stats in European football. He does that while being the number on player in European football for chances created up the other end.

We shouldn't entertain a bid lower than £18m.

Those saying that we wouldn't miss Baines or he's "weak defensively" are deluding themselves. He's the best left back in the country by a mile and one of the best in the world. Losing him would be a massive blow.

Sums it up nicely, Tubes. Couldn't agree more.

Baines is not only the best LB in the UK, but arguably in Europe as well. Was he not the highst placed English footballer in the Europe top 50? Losing him would be a masive blow, think of the partnership with Pienaar.

I've been watching Everton week-in, week-out for about 12 years now. And with the exception of Rooney, Baines is the best player I've ever seen play for Everton which is an incredible feat for a Left Back.

Keep him.

However as this is the real wolrd, don't accept anything less than 20 mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back