Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a nonsense term, really.

Say United put a £20 million bid in, and we accepted it, City would merely have to match that bid to also get the right to talk to him. They wouldn't have to push it higher.

The selling club has to judge when they've received the best bid they're likely to get for a player. It isn't that two clubs are fighting with each other over the bid.

Surely if City offered more money that would automatically favour them in the process over United....

Why the **** do people think we ended up with Roberto Martinez and not somebody like Bielsa or Pereira?

Would the latter two have agreed to a sell-to-buy policy and asked no questions of money everybody knows will be flowing into the club's coffers simply disappearing, lies told by the chairman that he'll put his hand in his pocket and will not sell the best players?

Of course not.

So that's why we've got Roberto Martinez, and that's why we'll end up with **** like Sisqo, McGready and Alcatraz or whatever their names are.

Load of ****e Everton.

It goes from "Keep best players, chairman will provide money for transfers as he knows its important we kick on and improve" to our ex-manager bidding peanuts for our best player, utter **** players with no sell-on value (criminal for a club like Everton) linked for way OTT fees (6m for Kone, wtf?) and complete negativity once again surrounding the club. All within about two weeks.

Small time carts.

Pereira sold his best players every year. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your stupid ranting.

And until a contract is signed, that's meaningless.

Once we accept a bid, the next step is allowing the player to talk to the club. It's then in the player's hands. That's what it means to be allowed to talk to another club.

In order to be afforded the same privilege, a second club would only have to match whatever bid was accepted. There's absolutely no sense in coming in above an accepted fee.

... and to those who want to sell because we'll surely be able to improve with the money ... if it's that easy to get a bunch of Baines for 6m then good news ... we could have at least 4 new Baines quality players with TV money + Fellaini money. Maybe 5 or 6. Oh and the money saved from Moyes, Neville and maybe Heits? That's another Baines right there. 7 new Baines! We'll win the league with that!

Just like all the other poorer teams in the Prem that sell all their best players and replace them with even better players and hurtle up the league.

Once we accept a bid, the next step is allowing the player to talk to the club. It's then in the player's hands. That's what it means to be allowed to talk to another club.

In order to be afforded the same privilege, a second club would only have to match whatever bid was accepted. There's absolutely no sense in coming in above an accepted fee.

Yes but if you know that another club is interested then you can decline allowing the club to speak to the player in the hope that they come back, or the other club comes in. The bidding club knowing someone else is in the wings will bid high to make sure it happens quickly

Last edited:

Why did you miss out the bit where I suggest using the Baines money to sign Negredo?

There is a reason why boss strikers tend to cost more than even the best left backs. I think we would be better off losing Baines and replacing Anichebe with Negredo, rather than keeping Baines and continuing with the likes of Anichebe.

Baines has his negatives as well, he provides less defensive protection than Coleman does. Our team would improve if we gained Negredo at the expense of losing Baines IMO.

This.

Baines is great going forward but at the back he is not all that good.

A couple of incidents spring to mind from last season, the careless pass which resulted in Sunderland's goal in the 1-0 defeat there and the daft, needless foul tackle which conceeded the free kick from which Norwich equalised in the last minute at Goodison (for which Moyes publically lambasted him).

Don't get me wrong. I want Baines to stay and all players make mistakes but the notion that Baines is the be all and end all at Everton is just plain silly.

If United, or any other team, want him then let him go happen the price is right.

And use the dough to strengthen the attack.

This.

Baines is great going forward but at the back he is not all that good.

A couple of incidents spring to mind from last season, the careless pass which resulted in Sunderland's goal in the 1-0 defeat there and the daft, needless foul tackle which conceeded the free kick from which Norwich equalised in the last minute at Goodison (for which Moyes publically lambasted him).

Don't get me wrong. I want Baines to stay and all players make mistakes but the notion that Baines is the be all and end all at Everton is just plain silly.

If United, or any other team, want him then let him go happen the price is right.

And use the dough to strengthen the attack.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure Motes lambasted the ref for giving a foul for that challenge against Norwich which he deemed to be fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back