Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget that Man u offered a low sum for VP who was at arsenal at first, the only different was that he has 12 months left where Baines got 24 months.

just flat out refuse any offer. There's no point getting 20m in to buy another 20m player when we already have a 20m who works well with the team.

We progressed last seasons because we kept our best players. If we sell any of them this season it'll be a step back. there's no other way about it

Not really had a problem with United in recent years, they are what they are.

This has re-ignited my dislike for them which I once had. Hope Moyes bombs massively next season now.

This, I hope it goes badly tits up for Moyes and he ends up at Norwich city, and then we raid them.

just flat out refuse any offer. There's no point getting 20m in to buy another 20m player when we already have a 20m who works well with the team.

We progressed last seasons because we kept our best players. If we sell any of them this season it'll be a step back. there's no other way about it

If you get rid of a £20 million player who we won't be able to sell for alot of money in a few years, and get in a player who is abit cheaper - yet younger who will have a sell on fee in a few years - then its probably worth it. Otherwise we would just let our players get old and let their contracts run out - and never be able to re invest into the team to make a younger squad

To lose Moyes, Fellaini and Baines in the same summer would be a disaster, and I doubt any club in the league will lose 3 KEY assets, yet it looks like we will. Could be an absolute nightmare.

We shouldn't entertain a bid lower than £18m.

Those saying that we wouldn't miss Baines or he's "weak defensively" are deluding themselves. He's the best left back in the country by a mile and one of the best in the world. Losing him would be a massive blow.

Have yet to see a post where an Everton fan suggests either of these, if i'v missed them and they have you are quite right, they are deluding themselves.

I hope we have the strength to tell Moyes and Man U to fk off. If we are just going to buy up raw potential and turn it into a top class player for these franchised ***** to cherry pick then what is the point? I don't look at these situations from just a personal point of view but that of the next generations of Evertonians. If we show no ambition why would any one choose to follow us over the ample amounts of clubs in close proximity who throw money around like confetti. We are very close to a top 4 finish and I would hate to see us pushed back again.

Didn't Moyes comment last year that a £12M bid for Baines was 'a ridiculous offer'?

Apparently not now he's doing the bidding.

If you get rid of a £20 million player who we won't be able to sell for alot of money in a few years, and get in a player who is abit cheaper - yet younger who will have a sell on fee in a few years - then its probably worth it. Otherwise we would just let our players get old and let their contracts run out - and never be able to re invest into the team to make a younger squad

I'd rather keep our full strength squad that could have finished in a championship place last season, add to it and finish in the top 4. Thus bringing in more players and money

Baines is definitely more important to us than his apparent £15 mil value. Though if he wants to go, well I think he deserves to play for a top team in Europe, so I would wish him all the best. Out of all the players in our squad, Baines is the least replacable, though. I doubt we could replace him with anyone of his calibre so we'd better get at least £20 million or not lose him at all.

Related Links

Baines: Exciting Times Ahead
Leighton Baines is set to spend the final few days of his summer break revelling with fellow music lovers on a farm in the south west of England.

While his Everton teammates may well be taking the chance to soak up some last rays of sunshine on warmer foreign shores, the England left-back will instead be a part of the 150,000-throng attending Glastonbury Festival.

Baines admits he won’t quite be following the normal tradition of squatting in a tent for the best part of a week.

But he will be keen to take in as much of the entertainment as possible during his short stay in Somerset.

“I’m just going to dip into it, I’m not going to stay for the whole thing,” said the 28-year-old. “I’m going to go down and spend a day or two.

“Arctic Monkeys are headlining on the Friday and I’m looking forward to that massively. Friday is a good day – there are quite a lot of people on that I’m looking forward to seeing.

“The weather plays a big part and as long as the rain holds off, I’ll be happy.”

Despite the drizzle on Merseyside, the forecast at Glastonbury looks slightly brighter - although that doesn’t necessarily count for much when Baines is in attendance.

“There wasn’t Glastonbury last year because of the Olympics but I went down the year before and it rained quite badly,” he added.

“I’m quite a jinx. My mate mentioned it the other day that he has never been to a festival that I’ve been to as well and it hasn’t rained.

“I’ve jinxed every festival I’ve been to so I’m trying to turn a corner with that.”

Are you a Blue at Glastonbury? Look out for Bainesy and if you get a photo send it to us at photos@evertonfc.com!

Anyone at Glastonbury tell him to stay !!

This.

Baines is great going forward but at the back he is not all that good.

A couple of incidents spring to mind from last season, the careless pass which resulted in Sunderland's goal in the 1-0 defeat there and the daft, needless foul tackle which conceeded the free kick from which Norwich equalised in the last minute at Goodison (for which Moyes publically lambasted him).

Don't get me wrong. I want Baines to stay and all players make mistakes but the notion that Baines is the be all and end all at Everton is just plain silly.

If United, or any other team, want him then let him go happen the price is right.

And use the dough to strengthen the attack.

Don't be stupid. He's the best left back in the world. That misplaced pass was a mistake, yes, but it was near the halfway line and would usually come to nothing. And that was never a foul - Moyes had a go at the ref.

Can we not do this thing where we pretend Baines isn't as good as we said because he might be leaving? He's f*cking fantastic.

It’s his call, he either signs a new contract or he won’t, if he doesn’t a new contract and tells the board that he wants to move to United, we have to sell or else we will have an unhappy player approaching his last 12 months of his contract and turning 30, his performance next year will drop and his price will drop even more.

Some United 'fans' display breathtaking ignorance of football. Take this gem from the Daily Mail story's comments:

"Moyes is a disgrace, we have Evra/Buttner/Fabio, all are better than Baines but this poor excuse of a manager wnats to waste our money on this weak fullback, he is not worth 12m"

Absolutely laughable! To be fair though it's probably some kid from Indonesia who's never even seen a game

That seems to be their overview to be honest. Hes not a big name and they seen it as a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back