Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardly a surprise; he did it for the entire last season he was here and people wanted to give him a medal for it.

The idea that Man Utd bid for Baines and Moyes is completely in the dark about it is absolutely fascinating.

It's like Stockholm Syndrome.

Hardly a surprise; he did it for the entire last season he was here and people wanted to give him a medal for it.

The idea that Man Utd bid for Baines and Moyes is completely in the dark about it is absolutely fascinating.

Certainly not in the dark, but he has nothing to do with the details and negotiations for ManU. It's not him valuing Baines at 12 million, he just wants the player.

Yeah is right it's not like SAF is still there working from behind the scenes like is it...oh wait.

If you belive that moyes has been let off the leash before he has even officially been put in charge then some thing is not right with your argument.

Are you saying Baines is being sought by United but not by Moyes?

This feller will have told Moyes the cash available and Moyes would then have told him exactly where he wants that to go and in what proportions. There is no director of football at United, so there is no excuses whatsoever for Moyes on this valuation, no fig leaf for him to hide behind that's being presented on his behalf by even some Evertonians.

Moyes has sanctioned that first bid and he'll say how much the bidding stops at.

Moyes is playing us like a piano, he knows Baines is worth 20 million. He will end up signing him for 15 million.

A day after the EGM as well, at least Moyes waited for that to be done before stabbing Bill in the back.

Certainly not in the dark, but he has nothing to do with the details and negotiations for ManU. It's not him valuing Baines at 12 million, he just wants the player.

He knows his transfer budget, does he not? He'll have a number of positions he wants sorting out from that and a starting price at which they move off from and a figure they'll stop at based on how crucial their capture is to plans. Do you think this Woodward CEO feller, an investment banker by trade, has full control over that process?

He knows his transfer budget, does he not? He'll have a number of positions he wants sorting out from that and a starting price at which they move off from and a figure they'll stop at based on how crucial their capture is to plans. Do you think this Woodward CEO feller, an investment banker by trade, has full control over that process?

If they parsed 12 million out of the transfer budget for Baines, then went in there with their first bid at 12 million, they'd be morons of the highest order. Which we know they are not.

If they parsed 12 million out of the transfer budget for Baines, then went in there with their first bid at 12 million, they'd be morons of the highest order. Which we know they are not.

It's a bit of both ... I bet Moyes has said I want such and such a player but only up to (x) portion of the budget they have allotted him. I don't believe that Moyes has said "Bid 12m for him cause they're poor" but I also don't buy the bullpoopy that Moyes has no control over anything. They made him manager for a reason did they not?

Edit: Full disclosure I have little respect left for Moyes as there is no way that after saying his contract would be sorted in January and then in January saying it'll be sorted by the end of the season he could not have known about what SAF was going to do. He has shown his true colors and I don't like him one bit but still respect what he has done at the club.

Last edited:
Don't be stupid. He's the best left back in the world. That misplaced pass was a mistake, yes, but it was near the halfway line and would usually come to nothing. And that was never a foul - Moyes had a go at the ref.

Can we not do this thing where we pretend Baines isn't as good as we said because he might be leaving? He's f*cking fantastic.

Let's not pretend he is totally infallible either, or that he is so good that he is priceless.

He is one of the best fullbacks in the world, but his proficiency is from attacking football, and there are numerous other fullbacks who are better at defending than Baines, Seamus Coleman might even be one of them.

I don't buy into the notion that our team would collapse if Baines was sold, especially if he was replaced with a top European goalscorer.

He's been injured before and the team didn't fall to pieces or become incapable of attacking the opposition.

Let's not pretend he is totally infallible either, or that he is so good that he is priceless.

He is one of the best fullbacks in the world, but his proficiency is from attacking football, and there are numerous other fullbacks who are better at defending than Baines, Seamus Coleman might even be one of them.

I don't buy into the notion that our team would collapse if Baines was sold, especially if he was replaced with a top European goalscorer.

He's been injured before and the team didn't fall to pieces or become incapable of attacking the opposition.

Exactly. Remember what happened one of the seasons we had Pistone and Naysmith as our LBs? (<General question to the forum not specific to anyone.)

Yes, but when all is said and done it's still a £12M bid isn't it...and my point is that Moyes has input at the very least on that: a figure he himself described in relation to Baines as 'ridiculous' when he dismissed it as a first bid 12 months ago.

It's a bit of both ... I bet Moyes has said I want such and such a player but only up to (x) portion of the budget they have allotted him. I don't believe that Moyes has said "Bid 12m for him cause they're poor" but I also don't buy the bullpoopy that Moyes has no control over anything. They made him manager for a reason did they not?

There's no Director of Football at United, and the very thought of a United manager handing over decision making on value of players to a pen pusher is preposterous.

It would be pretty ****ty from an Everton point of view to see one of your best players go. But when Moyes was announced as manager of Man U, I thought this kind of thing would be inevitable. At least I can empathise, this kind of thing happens between Leeds and Norwich in every transfer window!

It's pretty funny seeing Man U fans turn up their noses at the likes of Baines and Fellaini, as if Evra and Cleverley would be more preferable. Clueless, snobbish fans.

You lot should have faith in Martinez by the way. He brought through some good players at Wigan and got them playing attractive football. Yes, they went down but Everton are a level above Wigan anyway.

Yes, but when all is said and done it's still a £12M bid isn't it...and my point is that Moyes has input at the very least on that: a figure he himself described in relation to Baines as 'ridiculous' when he dismissed it as a first bid 12 months ago.

There's no Director of Football at United, and the very thought of a United manager handing over decision making on value of players to a pen pusher is preposterous.

What is SAF's role then? Does anyone know? I'm not saying he is a DoF just asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back