Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but when all is said and done it's still a £12M bid isn't it...and my point is that Moyes has input at the very least on that: a figure he himself described in relation to Baines as 'ridiculous' when he dismissed it 12 months ago.
There's no Director of Football at United, and the very thought of a United manager handing over decision making on value of players to a pen pusher is preposterous.

So Moyes' perspective changed once he moved jobs and Baines got one year closer to having his contract run out? Shocker.

I don't know how Manchester United handles transfers, but what they bid and what the value a player at are certainly two different things. I don't have inside information, just logic.

He's only missed 6 league games in 4 years, so when did you get the chance to come to that conclusion mate

At the end of the season before last, when we were hammering a number of teams 3 or 4 nil without them having a sniff at goal, and indeed when Lescott was keeping Baines out of the side.

It doesn't cheapen my point, the fact is that we weren't incapable of creating an attack before Baines became boss.

He would be a loss because he is a world class attacking full back, but we wouldn't fall to pieces and I believe we would improve if we swapped him for a top European striker.

At the end of the season before last, when we were hammering a number of teams 3 or 4 nil without them having a sniff at goal, and indeed when Lescott was keeping Baines out of the side.

We had our annual home wins against Fulham & Newcastle & drew away at Stoke & Wolves.

Baines has been pivotal for us for the last few seasons, most of attacking play comes down the left & the reason for that is Leighton's ability. To make out we'd be fine without him is optimistic imo, the lad's class & has often been the deciding factor for us in games.

We'd miss him massively imo & I hope he wants to stay, as I'll be gutted if we lose him to United.

It doesn't cheapen my point, the fact is that we weren't incapable of creating an attack before Baines became boss.

He would be a loss because he is a world class attacking full back, but we wouldn't fall to pieces and I believe we would improve if we swapped him for a top European striker.

It does because if we had the Baines of today in that side it would have been much better especially taking into account the growing role fullbacks are playing in the game. Also I fail to see where going from Baines to Oviedo but getting a world class striker is that great of an improvement. Baines provides the best service in the team and that is what forwards need to score (most of the time, although sometimes world class can create on their own). Also I would be interested to see who you think a world class striker is that we could get for 20m.

No doubting he will be a loss, my argument is that we would improve as a team if we replaced him with a top European striker, and that we wouldn't fall to pieces without him.

No doubting he will be a loss, my argument is that we would improve as a team if we replaced him with a top European striker, and that we wouldn't fall to pieces without him.

No one is saying, or at least I hope not, that we would fall to pieces. I just think that 20m isnt what it used to be and won't get us a forward that would leave us coming out a better side. Give us 30m and I say thank you Baines for your service and goodbye.

Oh please, apparently 20 million pound is no longer enough to buy a top striker.

Negredo could be bought for 20million, and he doesn't need Leighton Baines to make him look good, in fact he has done perfectly well without ever playing with Leighton Baines.

First thing Martinez has got to do on Monday morning, is get Bainsey and his agent in the office and sort out a new contract. I'd be more pleased with this than a new signing ( even though I still want signings, except McGeady )

I just don't see swapping Baines for a striker as a net gain. Where will the attack come from? I wouldn't expect a striker to create chances by himself. Losing Baines would create a revolutionary change in the way we attack, which we probably can't afford to re-construct and hit the ground running in August.

Certainly I think we need a striker, but not at the expense of Baines (even if it works out that way).

Oh please, apparently 20 million pound is no longer enough to buy a top striker.

Negredo could be bought for 20million, and he doesn't need Leighton Baines to make him look good, in fact he has done perfectly well without ever playing with Leighton Baines.

Don't be so incredulous. Negredo won't get us into fourth if we lose Baines. I already said it wouldn't be the end of the world but wouldn't progress us.

What will happen is that Bill will call Baines mobile half way through the Arctic Monkeys later tonight, (he is at Glasto apparently) then tell us, "I tried to make contact but he wouldnt take my call, so we had no option but to take the offer from Utd"

Nailed on.

Well that's were our opinions differ, I think we would improve if we swapped Baines for a top striker.

And I really don't think someone like Negredo or Soldado would struggle just because they didn't have Leighton Baines to look after him, they seem to be doing just fine without Baines so far.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back