Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
The harsh reality of being an Evertonian means players you love will be sold if acceptable offers come in.

Can we afford to turn down round 20m if someone came in with it for him? I'd say no TBH.

That get's us a replacement and pays a few bills.

Well that's were are opinions differ, I think we would improve if we swapped Baines for a top striker.

And I really don't think someone like Negredo or Soldado would struggle just because they didn't have Leighton Baines to look after him, they seem to be doing just fine without Baines so far.

Fair enough but no one ever said they for themselves would struggle but a striker isn't the only person who scores goals. Also using a double standard like comparing scoring records in Spain to what they would do here is just foolhardy.

Leighton Baines is no great shakes from a defensive perspective, that's considerably different to saying he can't defend.His over emphasis on attack also makes him and our team vulnerable.

There was a graph by the Executioners Bong showing that we conceded far more goals from opposition attacks down our left hand side than from centrally or down our right.

Negredo and Soldado are top European strikers who are banging them in in the same league as Messi and Ronaldo, they'd be more than capable of doing the same in England.

The guy touting that opinion in this thread has a track record of saying some amazingly silly things on here. This is just the latest example of that.

Yeah, and you're known for being the epitome of sense.

Tell me the Executioners bong is incorrect, tell me that the United forums aren't full of people saying the same thing, educate me on why Baines is still second choice for England.

Nobody is biased on here at all.

Leighton Baines is no great shakes from a defensive perspective, that's considerably different to saying he can't defend.His over emphasis on attack also makes him and our team vulnerable.

There was a graph by the Executioners Bong showing that we conceded far more goals from opposition attacks down our left hand side than from centrally or down our right.

Negredo and Soldado are top European strikers who are banging them in in the same league as Messi and Ronaldo, they'd be more than capable of doing the same in England.

I see there is not much point in going on in this so this will be my last point. Negredo and Soldado are not top European strikers. Maybe our definitions of the term differ but if you have watched the Confed Cup you will have seen that not only is Negredo not in the squad for Spain but Torres, yes the Torres that can't score for his life in this league is starting ahead of them. This is by no means a way of saying that Torres is any good but more of a way to exemplify the status of their reputations to the manager of the Spain squad who is more in the know than you are sir. Finally do you believe that the defenses in Spain are better or worse than in England? Or the same? Intimates my response to Messi and Ronaldo play there.

If Baines is sold, i refuse to buy a kit with a name on the back ever again.

I think i am cursed since each year following a purchase that namesake player has been sold.
Rodwell, Cahill and now Baines.(maybe) .

Cursed I say!

Yeah, and you're known for being the epitome of sense.

Tell me the Executioners bong is incorrect, tell me that the United forums aren't full of people saying the same thing, educate me on why Baines is still second choice for England.

Nobody is biased on here at all.

United fans haven't a clue about Baines, the most they've seen of him is on FIFA or 15 minutes on Match of the Day.

The Executioner's Bong actually shows how Leighton Baines had the same defensive stats as Ashley Cole, yet made many, many more assists and completed crosses. Clean sheets and goals conceded are reflective of the quality of side they play for - Cole in a Champions League setting, Baines not, so therefore raw stats are all we can go on and they are identical in that respect and Baines the far superior player in attack.

new-picture-119.png

As for why he's second choice for England, very simple. Look at the "top four" imbalance towards Champions League club and player nepotism from consecutive England managers and get back to me.

Your argument is flawed, just like it was when you claimed Fellaini's minimum fee release clause was complete news to everyone all of a sudden - when you say "Baines is no great shakes defensively" and then can't back up that insane viewpoint with absolutely anything, you make yourself look like a complete fool and people pick you apart. You do it time and time again.

I see there is not much point in going on in this so this will be my last point. Negredo and Soldado are not top European strikers. Maybe our definitions of the term differ but if you have watched the Confed Cup you will have seen that not only is Negredo not in the squad for Spain but Torres, yes the Torres that can't score for his life in this league is starting ahead of them. This is by no means a way of saying that Torres is any good but more of a way to exemplify the status of their reputations to the manager of the Spain squad who is more in the know than you are sir. Finally do you believe that the defenses in Spain are better or worse than in England? Or the same? Intimates my response to Messi and Ronaldo play there.

Nobody gives a toss about the confederations cup, it's literally a joke of a competition.

I'd say both leagues are full of crap defenders, and will cite instances of players banging them in within far crapper leagues than La Liga and then being a success In England, like Suarez.

Negredo and Soldado are top strikers.

We all knew this was going to happen. Deal.

No one knows if he himself wants to move. We know he wants to be based in the North West, yes, this means Utd would not be out of the question for him but naturally, neither are we. What could be a vital factor maybe his own views on his England place and subject to that, if he thinks (or if the case is being made to him) that he would be more likely to be (or would be more assured of getting quicker) the automatic number 1 left-back if he was at Manchester United. As in international football, these are how things work for the most part, although there is a get-out in that Hodgson isn't as tied to that as previous managers. Then again, who knows if Hodgson is long for the job!

Much of it will come down to two things, how close Baines' working relationship with Moyes is and how much the club need the money/how greedy our chairman is.

So Moyes' perspective changed once he moved jobs and Baines got one year closer to having his contract run out? Shocker.

I don't know how Manchester United handles transfers, but what they bid and what the value a player at are certainly two different things. I don't have inside information, just logic.

It's not logical to think that two years left on a deal is worth substantially less in bargaining terms than having three seasons left. The difference between one and two is significant, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back