Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the chance Oviedo has waited patiently for. In fairness after a torrid start against Sane he was pretty good for the rest of the game one on one especially against Sterling.

Apart from Coleman, it's a Dad's Army defence.

We really need to see some new blood getting game time. We have some very good players who can come in and do a job like Mori, Galloway, Holgate - and Browning when he returns.

The defence have been ok so far but are still very vulnerable to pace and crosses. And we should also be aware that the whole team is set up defensively now so there is a lot of support for those defenders which probably stops us pushing higher up the pitch and pressing the opposition from there.

Definitely agree with what you are saying in regard to getting the age profile of the defence down a bit but I think it is more important to steady the ship for a while. Establish a style of play, get a system going so that when young player steps up he knows what he has to do. More importantly, get a winning mentality.

Always loved how he got absolutely slated for the World Cup when he was tasked with defending two players at once. Never once was it mentioned not one player came back to help him out leaving him woefully exposed by 1-2 passes with nobody else to give him a hand.

Unfortunately at international level you have to be able to deal with situations that are out if the ordinary. He's been a great player for Everton, not a legend by any stretch, but the reality in the cold light of day is that he's well beyond his best. It happens to all players.

He's not an automatic choice though, and for England his career is over, which is a surprise considering he's apparently the finest left back around.

Im not in the slightest bit arsed about England.

For everton baines is by far our best left back. We play far better and win far more often when baines plays. Oviedo is not remotely close to his level.

Im not in the slightest bit arsed about England.

For everton baines is by far our best left back. We play far better and win far more often when baines plays. Oviedo is not remotely close to his level.

I'd say on the past twenty or so games he's played and in comparison with the spell Galloway had in his place he is/was distinctly second best.

I'd say on the past twenty or so games he's played and in comparison with the spell Galloway had in his place he is/was distinctly second best.

Galloway is not far off defensively, but light years behind in terms of passing ability, linking of play etc. I'm sorry but I can't take anyone saying Baines is not our best left back seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back