Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much this, Baines was (nearly) world class when they were both younger and playing together. Pienaar however, lacked Baines's natural reticence and thought he was better than he was, hung the latch on his contract, went to the WC looking to win a big payday. He not only didn't have Baines to make him look good, but played averagely at CMF/No. 10 in an average team.
Went to Spurs - then 'begged' to come back and was OK for 6mths.
In terms of what we generally consider world class; Messi, Ronaldo etc, then you wouldn't but Baines in that category. But if we are looking purely at left backs, when in his prime he was in the best 2/3 playing in Europe, so therefore the world. In that scenario, you would say he was a world class left back.

Sadly no longer at that level, but we've defo missed him since he's been out.

At his best he was no doubt top 2 left backs in the premiership next to Ashley Cole. Europe is a bit of a stretch...I think Jordi Alba was 21-22 and already a better all around player than both.

If there is ever a position you can play a long career in it's fullback. But I think given Leighton's strength was going forward rather than defensively even if fully fit he's not going to offer as much as someone like Gary Neville or Carragher once he's hit 30.

We have a genuine number 9 in Lukaku who can score from crosses into the box, and we are absent of a creative midfield player with the killer pass. For me that means one solution...we need to play with width and out wide we need pace I think if you look at it this way it means as good a player as he was Leighton shouldn't feature in the long term plans.

Coles arrogance gave him an extra 5% in my opinion, he strutted around like he was the bees knees, even towards the end of his career when he'd lost his invincibility. Baines is the opposite, too nice

At his best he was no doubt top 2 left backs in the premiership next to Ashley Cole. Europe is a bit of a stretch...I think Jordi Alba was 21-22 and already a better all around player than both.

If there is ever a position you can play a long career in it's fullback. But I think given Leighton's strength was going forward rather than defensively even if fully fit he's not going to offer as much as someone like Gary Neville or Carragher once he's hit 30.

We have a genuine number 9 in Lukaku who can score from crosses into the box, and we are absent of a creative midfield player with the killer pass. For me that means one solution...we need to play with width and out wide we need pace I think if you look at it this way it means as good a player as he was Leighton shouldn't feature in the long term plans.

He hit 30 nearly 2 years ago, and he's still one of the best full backs in the league.

If we can find a way to keep him fit, he can still be a great player for us over next 3/4 years.

He hit 30 nearly 2 years ago, and he's still one of the best full backs in the league.

If we can find a way to keep him fit, he can still be a great player for us over next 3/4 years.

Great going forward, never been sure of his defending, but he uses the theory, let the wide player worry about me !!

Pretty much this, Baines was (nearly) world class when they were both younger and playing together. Pienaar however, lacked Baines's natural reticence and thought he was better than he was, hung the latch on his contract, went to the WC looking to win a big payday. He not only didn't have Baines to make him look good, but played averagely at CMF/No. 10 in an average team.
Went to Spurs - then 'begged' to come back and was OK for 6mths.

Not having this. He was unbelievable towards the end of the 2011/12 season and one of our best players in Moyes' last season too. A genuine joy to watch when he was at his best, loved him.

Not having this. He was unbelievable towards the end of the 2011/12 season and one of our best players in Moyes' last season too. A genuine joy to watch when he was at his best, loved him.

Neither am I; He came back in the Jan 2012 window and did play well...well enough to get a new deal; loan P12 4 goals
12/13 P35 6 goals - cut his cornrows off never hit the pre spurs heights (Unbelievable? more like not quite as good as he was IMO of course) and the last 3 yrs figures show a decline
13/14 P23 2goals
14/15 P9 0 goals
15/16 P4 0 goals

all about perceptions and opinions innit

Neither am I; He came back in the Jan 2012 window and did play well...well enough to get a new deal; loan P12 4 goals
12/13 P35 6 goals - cut his cornrows off never hit the pre spurs heights (Unbelievable? more like not quite as good as he was IMO of course) and the last 3 yrs figures show a decline
13/14 P23 2goals
14/15 P9 0 goals
15/16 P4 0 goals

all about perceptions and opinions innit

He was absolutely superb in 2012/13. Injuries ruined him after that.

But stint at Spurs aside, he was an unbelievable player for us for 6/7 years. Never seen a player waste possession less than Steven Pienaar, never ever gave the ball away.

Yeah...I don't have blue tints mate... I don't relate Barkley... Gerry , mirallas, or Coleman which most of our fans do... baines tho? He was top draw in his prime and I wouldn't have swapped him for anyone else in the league in his prime... and probably nobody in Europe either... he was our most creative player ... in fact he was the most creative PLAYER ... not defender ... player in Europe one year... and I actually enjoyed watching him play... him and stones are the only defenders I actually loved to watch play football.

Fair shout

He makes so many things happen down the left side. He is an absolute assist machine.

We probably would have won or score more games recently if he was not injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back