Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.

I miss you leighton!

i think we all forget that you are our best passer and delivery man.

(p.s. Galloway has been doing good while you been away)

After today's match and the past few results I cannot wait for Baines to get back in the side. First off, Galloway has done a fantastic job filling in and he has made it so there should be NO pressure to rush back Baines, however it is still obvious he is playing out of position when going forward and the few posters I have seen saying they wouldn't drop him for Baines, I think is going overboard.

Why I am so excited is because we have shown that we can still put in goals without his creativity but I think he is exactly what we are missing. With G now showing that we can get good crosses in from the right adding Baines on the left will really stretch out the opposing defenses and force them to defend the whole width. This will also really benefit Barkley as he is playing deeper but shading the left side. Baines overlaps and cut backs could be a great combo for Ross. Finally, no one in our back line is better or more equipped to bypass the midfield without just lumping the ball up. Baines is able to spot Lukaku's runs but be able to feed him a ball along the ground (see Lukaku's home goal against Arsenal 2 seasons ago).

I really want to see this line up be trotted out when we are buzzing and full of confidence:

Lukaku

Mirallas Deulefeu

Barkley

Barry McCarthy

Baines Jagielka Stones Coleman

Howard

After today's match and the past few results I cannot wait for Baines to get back in the side. First off, Galloway has done a fantastic job filling in and he has made it so there should be NO pressure to rush back Baines, however it is still obvious he is playing out of position when going forward and the few posters I have seen saying they wouldn't drop him for Baines, I think is going overboard.

Why I am so excited is because we have shown that we can still put in goals without his creativity but I think he is exactly what we are missing. With G now showing that we can get good crosses in from the right adding Baines on the left will really stretch out the opposing defenses and force them to defend the whole width. This will also really benefit Barkley as he is playing deeper but shading the left side. Baines overlaps and cut backs could be a great combo for Ross. Finally, no one in our back line is better or more equipped to bypass the midfield without just lumping the ball up. Baines is able to spot Lukaku's runs but be able to feed him a ball along the ground (see Lukaku's home goal against Arsenal 2 seasons ago).

I really want to see this line up be trotted out when we are buzzing and full of confidence:

Lukaku

Mirallas Deulefeu

Barkley

Barry McCarthy

Baines Jagielka Stones Coleman

Howard
Switch Mirallas for Cleverley and that team could put a hurt on people. If you want Mirallas I would take out Gerry and put in Lennon for some D cover.

After today's match and the past few results I cannot wait for Baines to get back in the side. First off, Galloway has done a fantastic job filling in and he has made it so there should be NO pressure to rush back Baines, however it is still obvious he is playing out of position when going forward and the few posters I have seen saying they wouldn't drop him for Baines, I think is going overboard

I agree that a fit Baines would be a real benefit to the squad, but unless Galloway gives away his spot due to a very poor performance, the spot's his. He can't be blamed for the lack of a left sided threat, when he doesn't have a capable left sided winger in front of him!

The lack of a left winger is more important if you expect him to do a bunch of combination play and overlaps like Baines/Pienaar. The issue for me is when someone like Clevs, Naismith or Kone on the left they tuck in centrally because they are more comfortable there. However that leaves wide open space to attack which Galloway does not do as well as Baines. While, he did have a good one to Naismith his crossing and passing into the box is pretty limited.

I also don't think that a player of Baines' caliber should lose his spot based off of injury, unless the replacement is playing a level above the starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back