Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my few disappointments from last night was when Barry did not quite spot that Baines was steaming onto a loose ball at the edge of the box and took it away from him. I am certain he would have got there just in time after about a 20 yard run up. Ball would have burst net, put a hole in back of St End and currently be part of the Northern Lights!!!!!
Might have demolished the Street End and kick-started the renovation work and re-build ;)

Furthermore, the left back taking right wing corners leaves us dangerously exposed to a right wing break from the opposition - a point that was cruelly exposed by SAF in one of Manures victories at GP when Baines stranded miles out of position as they broke out and scored.
Aye, much prefer it when a midfielder takes corners for that very reason even if the defender takes decent one - which unfortunately Leighton isn't atm.

...his corners are useless, can't believe how bad they are. I really thought Willian would get at him yesterday but he didn't. I like Baines being in the side because he is the best we have.
I agree a fit Baines is the best we have thats why Oviedo has been playing, just dont let him take corners, especially on the right hand side as he runs out of position to hit the first man with a poor delivery 9 times out of ten!
Leaving no one to cover his position City game at home in the league cup semi final their away goal prime example!

Great having a fit Baines back again. The commentators mentioned he was playing too safe but I think he was using his experience and was right to do so. It's been a while since he's played and this was a massive match to come back to. He started off keeping it simple and got better and better as the game went on.

Love the little scamp

I've got nothing against Oviedo what so ever, but Baines going forward is a game changer and still the best English left back around.
Great to see him back getting up and down the flank. If Only we could get Pienaar back! Sadly I'm coming to terms with the fact that ship has sailed

He's been monitored yes mate.

But he offers a bit more than Oviedo at times for certain games and vice-versa, I think.
Genuinely Toff, I cannot imagine an instance when they are both fit where I would be advocating Oviedo starting over Baines.

The difference in ability is frightening.

Oviedo has been playing well, absolutely, but his opportunity has only arisen because Baines has struggled to get over this ankle injury.

Baines starts every time for me. You could see the difference he brings to the side from the game against Chelsea at the weekend

Genuinely Toff, I cannot imagine an instance when they are both fit where I would be advocating Oviedo starting over Baines.

The difference in ability is frightening.

Oviedo has been playing well, absolutely, but his opportunity has only arisen because Baines has struggled to get over this ankle injury.

I wouldn't say there's a huge gap at all mate.

Oviedo is a good player and a more than able deputy.

If they were both at full fitness then yeh Baines would be my choice, but the thing is he isn't. I don't think there's anything wrong with rotating them both for the rest of the campaign to help them both get the gametime needed to keep them match sharp and get over their fitness issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back