Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
....little maestro, I think he's always played better with a like minded, clever footballer in front of him. He's not really had that since Pienaar and to a lesser extent Osman. Football is so much about blend and players complimenting each other, Baines has suffered more than most and the injuries haven't helped.

Top player in his day but we should now be moving on, Mori had to cover a lot for him yesterday.

The first goal - Mori goes wide to cover for Baines. Sound. Why does Baines then follow him instead of dropping into centre back to defend the cross? Bizarre.

Really hope he rediscovers his form, but he is starting to look more and more like a hindrance.

No full-back is going to be able to bring stuff to the table when the guy ahead of them is someone new every game and our CF doesn't create an angle to receive a pass.

The system is currently flawed.

No he hasn't.

Our horrid downturn in form coincided exactly with his injury.

He was very good vs Utd but had a poor one vs Watford.

Will need phasing out next season but as it stands still one of the best in the squad (not that it's saying much).

Begs the question, what are our fans expecting from him?

We punt the ball long.
Our striker's movement is horrid.
We constantly change personnel.
We've no playmaker.
We play one up top so any crosses into the box have to be absolute precision as none of our midfielders arrive late.

"Nah he's crap"

Riiiiiiiight ok mates.

Given his lack of physicality his strength as a modern day fullback is getting forward and back and giving creativity going forward.

I fear that age and injury has caught up with him and he cannot contribute to the same extent and because he is trying to get forward he is unable to recover and is becoming a liability defensively.

Sad , because he has been great for us, but a lack of fitness and mobility in this area is far more obvious than to ( say ) a holding midfielder.

Yes, I hope he is replaced before he really does become a liability. He's been great for us, one of our best ever left backs and certainly the best left back for us over the past 25 years. But he's dropped off massively now and it's time to go at the end of the season.

Best LB in the prem.
yes. If asked to select a PL 1st XI, the first names that most would pick would be Bainsey and Seamus as that team's fullbacks. I reckon not many others in our team (other than perhaps Barkley and Rom) would make the cut.
But 4 players from Everton in a PL 1st XI is not to be sneezed at.
If RK can get our other stars (i.e. Mirallas, McCarthy, Lennon maybe) to shine, I'm confident we'll scoot up the table.
I'm feeling very positive, and reckon things will turn about vs Arsenal.
Should be a comfortable win...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back