Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
In your own words, Dave: "Fast becoming a club legend."
You mean like Dobson, King and McKenzie Dave?

3 players who never won a thing with Everton on their careers?

You saying none of those players who failed to win a trophy deserve to be regarded as Everton legends?

Hell as it requires a full medals box to qualify, then you can add Alan ball to your list who don't deserve it as he won one thing with us.

Your fishing rods rapidly turning into a spade mate.

Dobson, King and McKenzie are not legends. However would you think that? The term legend is a special one. Those players you mention were much loved and respected. Same as the likes of Mick Lyons who would literally have torn his own arm off to win a trophy for Everton.

You know when they fill our training facility walls with pictures of ex players, it's mostly with pictures of Everton winners. Those who inspire. They are the legends. Some of them I didn't really like too much, but nevertheless they are legends because they achieved success with Everton. That's the only way any of this lot will be thought of as a legend too. You don't get that accolade just by pulling on a jersey a few hundred times.

Dobson, King and McKenzie are not legends. However would you think that? The term legend is a special one. Those players you mention were much loved and respected. Same as the likes of Mick Lyons who would literally have torn his own arm off to win a trophy for Everton.

You know when they fill our training facility walls with pictures of ex players, it's mostly with pictures of Everton winners. Those who inspire. They are the legends. Some of them I didn't really like too much, but nevertheless they are legends because they achieved success with Everton. That's the only way any of this lot will be thought of as a legend too. You don't get that accolade just by pulling on a jersey a few hundred times.
Tell you what mate. I vaguely remember (only because I was on my 15th or 16th bottle of grolsh by that stage) sitting outside some Wimpey burger bar in Rotterdam watching Duncan Mckenzie being carried on the shoulders of a gang of Evertonians. Everyone, including Duncan himself, was singing his name. There must have been 100000 blues in that street that afternoon. Try telling them Duncan isnt a club legend. Maybe you weren't there Dave.

Remember when this thread was actually about Leighton Baines ?
Good times

All threads eventually become about the Purveyor of Wham, WUM, Official GOT Clickbaiter-General, that is @davek...

He does it very well though, sometimes you can't even see the joins it's so well thought out.
Even though deep down, many times we know it's all wrong, so seamless and well crafted is he in his wummery, we are oft at a loss to refute it.
...and when you do it's water of a ducks back. Whenever you find an answer he changes the question.
Thus round and round we go and another thread lies tattered and torn.

*Doffs Cap*

A legend, to me, is a made up story about some mythical beings, it is not a term that should be applied to footballers.
Leighton Baines is simply a very good footballer, by all accounts a good guy and a credit to himself and Everton Football Club.
There would appear to be very few gentlemen left in professional football, Leighton Baines appears to be one of them, something to be cherished.

With regards to Baines I think h was one of those players whose qualities were amplified by being paired with someone whose qualities were equally amplified by the pairing. Baines has never been a great player in my eyes, nor has Pienaar(although both were very good) however as a left sided pairing, we have probably never had better! Their interplay was at times telepathic. With regards 'what makes a legend' I would sugg st that Neville Southall would have deservedly achieved legend status had he never won a single trophy with us! The accumulation of trophy's can serve to elevate players to legend status when perhaps they would not have had they won nothing? Sometimes a player is elevated to legend status simply because we were so poor they stood out (Duncan Ferguson for example will never be a legend in my eyes). But some players achieve legendary status simply because the were players we will never see bettered at this club!

Don't remember who it was, but will always remember some fella on Bluekipper about 10 years ago changing "Chocolate Rain" for "Leighton Baines" - had me in stitches. :lol:

Coolest 'ker at the club. You wish you spent time with the bands he does. Also a great LB and by far our best pen taker and maybe even corner taker but we don't find out.

Can't imagine not liking Baines tbh.

Alongside Cahill he's someone who deserves all the good will of the fans he gets.

Easily capable of playing and holding his own in any of our great sides of the past.

Personally, I disagree. I don't like him nearly as much as most seem to, and I honestly don't see where the love comes from. He has been a good player for us, but nowhere near a legend, and I don't think he'd have got in our great sides at all. Ray Wilson is regarded 1 of the best Left backs to play for Everton or England, and Pat Van Den Hauwe, while maybe not technically as good as either added another essential element to that side that Baines has never offered, so to suggest that is crazy.

Baines has never been a great defender, and as @Bluebonic says, he owes most of his reputation to his partnership with Pienaar

Before Pienaar, he struggled to get in the side ahead of a centre back, and after we sold him, he struggled with Bilyaletdinov ahead of him, regaining form when we resigned Pienaar, and hasn't looked the same again since Pienaars legs went and was removed from the side.

For all the criticism he got, I honestly don't think there was a lot between him and Oviedo, even after the injury. I heard people criticising/laughing at Oviedo at the weekend for being brushed aside by Rom for the goal. In reality, Rom is an absolute beast, and most people would struggle in the same position. But he got back to make the challenge that actually sent the ball into the net, which was unfortunate for him.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have sold Oviedo, for the money we got, it was a good deal, and his injury did make a difference to the player he was. I do wonder though what would've happened if that was Rom up against Baines.

The other thing that he has built his reputation on, other than his partnership with Pienaar, which was fantastic, is his set pieces, as pointed out by @Layne, but the reality is, he hasn't scored a freekick in approaching 4 years, and his corners have been atrocious for just as long.

Not his fault though, it's because Martinez didn't practice Corners, so Baines forgot how to do them. Honest.

The other thing people say about him, is how he's a blue (although he did support Liverpool as well, so he's one of those Blues), and that he's this great professional. Well in light of the recent goings on at Leicester, and how their players are being chastised by fans and media alike for engineering the managers exit, by not giving their all and forcing the hand, the same thing happened under Martinez, and from all accounts Baines was central to it, along with Osman, Jagielka and Hibbert, all senior players who carry sway and were very much Moyes boys. Only Osman seems to take the hit on that 1 though, probably because he was a childhood Liverpool fa... Erm... because he didn't have cool hair maybe?

Say what you want about Martinez going, whether you liked him or not, whether it's better for us in the long run or not, what he and a number of other senior players did was unprofessional. Just because it ended with the result the majority wanted, does not make it OK. It's not up to the players to decide what is best, and they took it upon themselves at the expense of results and the team.

Baines shirking his responsibilities, not taking pens, corners, etc, was huge to that, coupled with countless lacklustre performances to go with it. In times like that, it should be these senior players (legends) who step up and lead by example. Instead, he came out with snide insinuations about chemistry, while never actually having the balls to say what he really thought.

So yeah, I totally understand why some people don't like him, and why he will never be considered a legend. When we have needed him most, he just hid and bitched to the press, with reputation somehow in tact.

In my opinion, he is not a legend, and he is in absolutely nowhere near the same league as Cahill, who gave everything and got us out of more holes than anyone in that period he was here. Cahill, like Ferguson, was a true talisman and a cult hero, and is miles ahead of Baines in legend status.

Baines is just a decent left back who had the good fortune of playing in a decent side with good players around him and used to take free kicks. He was better than than the last few left backs we had before him, Naysmith, Valente, Pistone, Phelan, but that's about it.

And none of them had Pienaar playing in front of them either.

And as for hanging round with a few indie Bands, who cares? Baines is richer and more famous than majority of them, and they are probably as excited about hanging with his celebrity as he is with them. It's not like he was mates with Prince or someone like that. THAT would make him cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back