Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Let’s talk about Nottingham Forest

I'm genuinely in the dark here so I'll ask if these are verified figures and events or figures sourced from media stories? For instance I'd doubt they paid the full reported figure of Gibbs-White transfer and put it through the books in one go.
Can’t verify the reports of agents payments and overdue salaries clauses. But as we are finding out, lots of rumours about lots of clubs finances are surfacing so would expect there to be some element of truth to it.

The net transfer is based off up front fees, rather than add ons. And is based off known transfer figures such as the 25m for MGW and the 17.5m for Awoniyi etc. they only brought in like 6m from sales or something that summer. I can’t say it’s 100% definite as their books for that summer aren’t out yet, but it’s what’s quoted by various sources and media outlets who are pretty accurate with these things.

Last edited:
The figures I saw were more around the 120k per week on a one year deal. Factor in no transfer fee and it's not that much of an outlay - even going off the 200k figure it's only around £10M.

Out of interest how will you be gaining access to their books for details of wages paid, transfer fee structures, permitted deductions such as academy spending, infrastructure and women's teams, income streams such as TV money & sponsorship and any other expenses? Or are you just going to guess/make it up?
Signing on fee?

Can’t verify the reports of agents payments and overdue salaries clauses but

The net transfer is based off up front fees, rather than add ons. And is based off known transfer figures such as the 25m for MGW and the 17.5m for Awoniyi etc. they only brought in like 6m from sales or something that summer. I can’t say it’s 100% definite as their books for that summer aren’t out yet, but it’s what’s quoted by various sources and media outlets who are pretty accurate with these things.
Where can you see upfront fees and how do we know the 'known transfer figures', how they've been put through the books and over what period? Even when accounts are published this kind of detailed info doesn't really filter into media reports for the vast majority of deals.

For instance I've read something that states that part of the appeal for bringing in Beto and Chermiti over other options was that both selling clubs would accept delayal of the first payment till next season. But both are variously reported as Everton spending around £25M - £35M for the pair up front plus add-ons down the line.

Where can you see upfront fees and how do we know the 'known transfer figures', how they've been put through the books and over what period? Even when accounts are published this kind of detailed info doesn't really filter into media reports for the vast majority of deals.

For instance I've read something that states that part of the appeal for bringing in Beto and Chermiti over other options was that both selling clubs would accept delayal of the first payment till next season. But both are variously reported as Everton spending around £25M - £35M for the pair up front plus add-ons down the line.
I don’t think any fees are necessarily paid upfront for any players. I think it’s more “guaranteed” fees. Because everything is amortised across length of contract etc.

So we say up front, but it’s more that they will definitely get it. So that has to go down in the books as for that season. Whereas add ons aren’t guaranteed.

In regards to Beto/Chermiti, I think (and someone more clued up may tell me I’m wrong), but their fees go in our books for this year. But it was more of a cash flow issue, rather than FFP limits which is why we haven’t paid anything yet.

Signing on fee?
Again it's how it's reported vs the actual truth of the figure. The 120k deal I read about could well include the signing on fee or maybe that's what the £200k figure being reported is.

Maybe the figures are making assumptions about certain bonuses being triggered? It's all guesswork unless you have either excellent sources or genuine access which the vast majority of football media does not have - most is regurgitated rumour and driven by a need for easily digestible and quickly manufactured content than actual journalism.

And even with access and sources it's gonna be simplified to a certain degree or made a little more click-baity. Sometimes even willingly distorted to suit a particular agenda.

I don’t think any fees are necessarily paid upfront for any players. I think it’s more “guaranteed” fees. Because everything is amortised across length of contract etc.

So we say up front, but it’s more that they will definitely get it. So that has to go down in the books as for that season. Whereas add ons aren’t guaranteed.

In regards to Beto/Chermiti, I think (and someone more clued up may tell me I’m wrong), but their fees go in our books for this year. But it was more of a cash flow issue, rather than FFP limits which is why we haven’t paid anything yet.
That seems incorrect. If everything had to do down in the books *that season* then there would be no point in amortisation of the fee across a multi-season contract.

That seems incorrect. If everything had to do down in the books *that season* then there would be no point in amortisation of the fee across a multi-season contract.
Yeah I read it back and had confused myself.

Back to the original point though, Forest have spent a lot of money on fees and some big wages. I’m sure they will be looking nervously over their shoulders when their books are shared.

As I imagine lots of clubs will be (and why I think some of them are backing down over the compensation claims).

To be fair to him, Steve Cooper is a decent manager and seems like a decent bloke, and his dad was a very good referee, which seems like an oxymoron these days.

That's a decent point anywhere but on this thread, mate. I was surprised they stuck with him, but it clearly speaks to his qualities. I don't know where he goes after Forest, but he's been a credit to them.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back