Liverpool Echo & Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going back to the podcast, but WHO WERE the 2 pro-board callers? Does anyone know them or who they represent in terms of supporters groups? It's laughable that, as part of a discussion about the inadequacies of the board and the Echo's lack of reporting on the subject, the Echo edit-in 2 telephone conversations with random fella's for supposed balance, to waffle on aimlessly about how decent a job the board are doing. The first Welsh-sounding lad genuinely sounds like he hasn't got a clue about the issues being raised and the second fella sounds like an old bloke in the pub who hasn't got access to the internet & gets all of his Everton news from the Echo. It really does seem like they have been forced to include this to please someone, and that someone can only be from the club.

I think on the whole, the Echo have misjudged this massively and have only increased the feeling amongst the supporters that the club has got the Echo by the balls and won't allow negative reporting.

In 2003 financial journalist Tom Bower wrote a book Broken Dreams: Vanity, Greed and the Souring of British Football. In it, in one of the brief mentions that he gave to Everton (which was probably a good thing really) he said that Kenwright was a nice guy swimming in a sea of sharks. He thought BK was out of his depth dealing with with the people who made up the modern world of football.

That was the case 12 years ago. The environment hasn't got any easier, but nothing suggests that BK has developed the sort of killer instinct needed to survive, to take our club onwards and upwards.

I think the Echo should print a full page apology to Everton fans for the coverage they've given for a generation. It's been patronising and intentionally shallow - a pale imitation of the crusading/fan like journalism they offer LFC (which should be what all local rags do for their local supporters).

If that editor of theirs was serious about listening to feedback and changing that paper for the better then they have to address the chronic standards of journalism offered to half its readership regarding their football club. Heads should roll in that sports department. The Everton designated reporters need to be sacked (with the exception of Kirkbride) and we should accept no Liverpool supporter as their replacements. They dont have to be Everton supporters, btw, just objective and with an investigative pedigree.

I think the Echo should print a full page apology to Everton fans for the coverage they've given for a generation. It's been patronising and intentionally shallow - a pale imitation of the crusading/fan like journalism they offer LFC (which should be what all local rags do for their local supporters).

If that editor of theirs was serious about listening to feedback and changing that paper for the better then they have to address the chronic standards of journalism offered to half its readership regarding their football club. Heads should roll in that sports department. The Everton designated reporters need to be sacked (with the exception of Kirkbride) and we should accept no Liverpool supporter as their replacements. They dont have to be Everton supporters, btw, just objective and with an investigative pedigree.

The correspondents of both clubs should be impartial. Save the fan opinion columns for people such as ex-players of both clubs.

The correspondents of both clubs should be impartial. Save the fan opinion columns for people such as ex-players of both clubs.
I disagree. I think the owners have the capital and clout within the club; the press represents (or should) the population it covers, and therefore should act as a voice on behalf of fans and their dominant feelings on a variety of issues - onfield and off-field concerns. What we have now is the power of capital backed up by the local media, and that's shut down legitimate debate.

As said, if that Echo editor is at all serious about reform they need to oust this present cabal of writers who kow tow to the Everton board of directors.

Liverpool fans dont have to put up with that and neither should we. It's merely a call for parity.

I disagree. I think the owners have the capital and clout within the club; the press represents (or should) the population it covers, and therefore should act as a voice on behalf of fans and their dominant feelings on a variety of issues - onfield and off-field concerns. What we have now is the power of capital backed up by the local media, and that's shut down legitimate debate.

As said, if that Echo editor is at all serious about reform they need to oust this present cabal of writers who kow tow to the Everton board of directors.

Liverpool fans dont have to put up with that and neither should we. It's merely a call for parity.

Aye. What's so special about them that they can't be scrutinised vigorously? Parliament can be held to account - why not them?

Aye. What's so special about them that they can't be scrutinised vigorously? Parliament can be held to account - why not them?
Especially them, I'd say. They set themselves up as the couriers of their readership's concerns. Well let's have it then.

Instead, we get a handful of so called writers eeking out their existence by having a cosy relationship with Evertonfc.com and churning out reproductions of the stuff off the OS to fill their pathetic articles that we end up with on the Echo Everton pages. That relationship is not conducive to them asking anything of Everton that would get meaningful answers as to why we're still without a stadium or investors or on-field success for 20 years.

There's yet another Echo article just been published that is having a go at Everton supporters this morning. This is unreal. I won't provide the link because it's clickbait, but here's the headline and the opening paragraph:

Ian Doyle: Tom Cleverley is a no-brainer for Everton FC - so stop moaning
Some people just aren’t happy.
Everton have agreed to sign a seasoned England international that has won the Premier League title for a transfer fee of exactly nil pounds.
And the reaction from some supporters?
A shrug of the shoulders. And a bit of a moan.

Contrast that with the coverage LFC fans get. Do they get told 'stop moaning'?

In the past 24 hours we've been told by the Echo that finishing 11th is where we should finish, and that we shouldn't moan about signing a player on a free transfer. Personally I think the Cleverly signing is okay, but this idea the Echo should be telling our fanbase what to do when they do not listen to what we want THEM to do is embarrassing.

I'd put the ECHO just below your match previews on the Jarg scale mate.

I'd much rather read Esks or Tubeys to be honest.

Much more interesting content.

Your game has dropped these last few years and other contenders are looking hungrier.

Looking hungrier you say.

Well that rules the Goat out of writing any previews, then :(

I'd put the ECHO just below your match previews on the Jarg scale mate.

I'd much rather read Esks or Tubeys to be honest.

Much more interesting content.

Your game has dropped these last few years and other contenders are looking hungrier.

Chico heading for the mediocrity that is 11th ??

So whats the answer ?

Stop buying it & let the kopites get all the exposure they want (they'd love that btw)
Or
All of our fanbase subscribe to the Echo & bombard them until we get fair representation.

So whats the answer ?

Stop buying it & let the kopites get all the exposure they want (they'd love that btw)
Or
All of our fanbase subscribe to the Echo & bombard them until we get fair representation.
Keep being vocal with our thoughts. That way more of the fan base may actually get some education on important issues regarding the club they are not getting exposed to by the newspaper or the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back