Liverpool Echo & Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
New everton echo correspondent

Kristian Walsh

Crying on Sky at Palace last year

Bit about the whopper here http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2013/11/relishing-berger/

RELISHING BERGER
by Kristian Walsh // 11 November 2013 // 0 comments

.....I went to Anfield bi-weekly, occasionally travelling to nearby away grounds like Ewood Park, Villa Park and Maine Road. My mood fluctuated along with the Reds’ inconsistent results, but invariably returned to its default setting of pant-wettingly optimistic come Friday evening. I even had a woolly hat, bought from a ramshackle stall on Walton Breck Road on a cold Christmas afternoon. This hat, red and black, had three words emblazoned in gold on the front: Berger is King.

As said by the OP, that meeting with Everton supporters was just part of the echos recent "tell Ali" campaign, where the editor Alastair McRae asked for feedback about what they should do as a newspaper to arrest their decline.

You can be sure those two self serving careerist muppets Prentice and O'Keeffe were dragged kicking and screaming into that process, knowing that they'd have to shift themselves into an uneasy afternoon session with angry supporters...and then have to file a report on it that put the club owners' case (as always) for them in absentia.

These people were the ones sneering from the sidelines this season (even worse, pouring petrol on the flames when we were in some trouble during the winter). No wonder they had to step aside and leave anything like balanced reporting to Phil Kirkbride who's had an uphill task this season trying to get an airing for a fair point of view about the team.

They (Prentice and O'Keeffe) are utter wronguns. O'Keeffe should stick to his twitter feed and his main job these days (it appears) of cosying up to the local z-list 'celebrities'; and Prentice should just concentrate on churning out the odd boring 'trip down memory lane' article - which might at least amuse himself if no one else.

Three reporters covering Everton on a local paper and only one is even moderately readable. Some record that. There you go Alistair McRae, you asked and you've been told. Maybe you can bin these clowns?

EFC meanwhile have won nothing for 20 years, have a board that doesn't invest in the club, have a board that is tiny, absentee and anonymous, mired in murky less than transparent dealings. They have also been responsible for 2, potentially 3, collapsed stadium moves and 1 collapsed Goodison redevelopment. As a business the club underperforms compared to even minor mid table rivals like Stoke.

You should also have added has a board member that take a wage.

You should also have added has a board member that take a wage.

I've said many times - Kenwright's badge of honour about no board member taking a wage is an embarrassing deflection that's an irrelevance.

I'd have no problem with somebody on the board taking a wage if they were running the club like a business full time. And not treating it like a hobby in between running a large international theatre company. Football has changed greatly in the last 5 years let alone the last 15. How Bill tries to run 2 companies simultaneously is beyond me. Bringing it back to topic, this is something the Echo has never challenged or queried.

I've said many times - Kenwright's badge of honour about no board member taking a wage is an embarrassing deflection that's an irrelevance.

And thats why that the news that a board member is being payed should be screached from the roof tops becuase the board supporters are quick to repeat what the worlds greatest Evertonian says.

Wonder who it was, I reckon it is Earl.

But, let's be grateful for our board. It could be worse and we have the ghosts of Osama Bin Laden, Jack the Ripper, Jimmy Saville and Princess Diana as our board.

Can't see it being Kenwright, Woods or Carter so yea, Earl's the most likely.
Just checked the figure, it was actually 350k

Is this another board thread or an echo thread?

It's an Echo thread, but it's all related. It's hard to separate the two. The Echo does not cover EFC in the same depth as LFC, nor does it hold up the EFC board to the same scrutiny.

We desperately need someone to stand up and question the club. There are some quite serious questions that need asking here. The answers would sway popular opinion, and potentially speed up 'exit strategies' and the sale of the club, which is probably why the questions don't get asked. Even something as simple as a look at the CEO's work could create change.

I'd hate to see this absorbed into the Board thread, because the Echo's coverage of Everton and the ongoing issues does deserve its own thread. Especially as they're trying to reach out to fans, then basically doing the opposite of what is asked of them.

Last edited:
Not read the echo in ages and when I did I was only really interested in the crossword the dingbats and Willie (that's the Frank Harris cartoon not the dating pages) can't see why anyone buys papers these days myself especially that kopite rag.

Their bias towards reporting Liverpool first and more often makes marketing sense (more clicks per minute/papers sold and all that) but I agree that the way that they are reporting is tangibly different. It always feels a bit lazy, a bit copy and paste when it comes to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back