2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always respected Villa for the similar reasons you respect Everton

Longest running fixture in League football I believe?

I think you guys are going for it and are backing Gerrard with some proven players

Could work out or you could end up where we are now in 5 years time

You don't want the latter, trust me lol
The only time I've had a similar feeling to this at Villa is when Lerner took over and gave MON the keys.. we grew into the "best of the rest" territory, but ultimately it was unsustainable long term as he wanted too much of the "buy now to get immediate results" with buying Zat Knight instead of sticking with the likes of Gary Cahill, for a perfect example.

I hope you lot do well - Everton are probably the first other club in the PL whose results I look out for as I'm friends with a few Toffees. I do think you've had a right time of it with injuries this year which is often easily forgotten.

I don't know if many will agree with me but I think Digne wanted leave regardless of the fallout with Benitez. Don't get me wrong, I'm unhappy how Benitez manage the whole situation and how he caused the fallout - but I think his desire to leave is there.

If Digne chose AV, it is not exactly a huge step up for him, but because the fallout was so public and Chelsea no longer interested, Digne overestimated his own value in the market, so might as well move for better wage. Now, if Lucas Digne ended up in AV, who is only 3 points ahead of us. I hope he flops in AV and AV crash and burn lollol

Villa fan here in nothing but peace and respect. Always had huge admiration and love for Everton as a club, being a team in probably the most similar position to Villa over my lifetime supporting them - huge history and fanbase and real "sleeping giants" but ultimately lacking in anything to bloody show for it...

I'm baffled by the Digne transfer. I've looked through the last 30 pages of this thread as it certainly wasn't that long ago that Digne was touted as one of the best LBs in the Prem; 40 odd caps for France etc... what the F has happened to warrant us being able to get him?
You seem like a nice enough fella so here goes.

1. When we first signed him he was excellent , especially going forwards. Adequate defensively

2. He wasn't terrible last season , but then again wasn't great either. His influence going forwards was lessened and in particular his delivery from set pieces was terrible

3.In line with the rest of the defence he has been poor this season. He has struggled under Benitez who reportedly told him to defend more and attack less. Digne apparently questioned Benitez's tactics and predictably enough Benitez ostracised him and engineered a situation where the fans turned on him. This allowed Benitez to sell him to free up FFP funds to bring in a couple of players.

In short Digne is not as good as he used to be. Will he get back to those levels under a progressive coach ( if Gerrard is that ) ? Who knows. It's a decent bit of business by us if you just look at the finances.

Hope that helps.

If we somehow failed to sell signs in this window, would we fall foul of ffp and would it be a points deduction this season or next?
I think, given the wages saved on players who've left, that we'll be fine, especially if we can sell Holgate or another squad player.

I am unhappy we let a good LB go and how the whole situation plays out. If he stayed, it could've been a better transition for Mykolenko.
I don't know if many will agree with me but I think Digne wanted leave regardless of the fallout with Benitez.

If Digne chose AV, it is not exactly a huge step up for him, but because the fallout was so public and Chelsea no longer interested, Digne overestimated his own value in the market, so might as well move for better wage. Now, if Lucas Digne ended up in AV, who is only 3 points ahead of us. I hope he flops in AV and AV crash and burn lollol
Not so sure. He recently signed a new contract, so why would he suddenly have a change of heart? I think benitez is 100% behind him wanting out.

Villa fan here in nothing but peace and respect. Always had huge admiration and love for Everton as a club, being a team in probably the most similar position to Villa over my lifetime supporting them - huge history and fanbase and real "sleeping giants" but ultimately lacking in anything to bloody show for it...

I'm baffled by the Digne transfer. I've looked through the last 30 pages of this thread as it certainly wasn't that long ago that Digne was touted as one of the best LBs in the Prem; 40 odd caps for France etc... what the F has happened to warrant us being able to get him?

Nothing against Villa, good club but ypu are only able to get him as he's actively for sale and no UCL clubs are in for him. Its not like you have unsettled him and pushed him to put in a tranafer request to join you. Thats not me having a dig by the way as it would be the same the other way around if one of your better players was in the same situation and we signed him. Neither of us it at the point where we can poach each others best players

He's obviously not a fan of Benitez and Benitez has alluded to him not being bothered about results or PL placing as long as his stats look good. Not sure who is right but doesnt matter now

Honest opinion, if you can get his 18/20 form out of him and Gerrard lets him concentrate on attacking then you will have a quality player. If you get his laat 18 months or so then he's nor an upgrade on Targett imo. Im not juat saying that as he's off. If you look at his thread before the falling out, then you will see a lot of criticism. Defensively never been the best but very reliable attacking wise with his quality (similar to Baines), however that quality started to drop a lot in the last 18 months.

Its a big risk at his age and for the fee but if Gerrard can get him into form, it will be a very good signing.

Best left back in the club, challenges dire tactics and then leaves ailing dinosaur ‘has-been’ manager and joins young up and coming manager.
How many more flashing warning lights do you Rafatonians need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back