2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Villa fan here in nothing but peace and respect. Always had huge admiration and love for Everton as a club, being a team in probably the most similar position to Villa over my lifetime supporting them - huge history and fanbase and real "sleeping giants" but ultimately lacking in anything to bloody show for it...

I'm baffled by the Digne transfer. I've looked through the last 30 pages of this thread as it certainly wasn't that long ago that Digne was touted as one of the best LBs in the Prem; 40 odd caps for France etc... what the F has happened to warrant us being able to get him?
Always respected Villa for the similar reasons you respect Everton

Longest running fixture in League football I believe?

I think you guys are going for it and are backing Gerrard with some proven players

Could work out or you could end up where we are now in 5 years time

You don't want the latter, trust me lol

That's been abandoned now as Gerrard will chase short term impact to ensure his reputation/he gets his next gig.

We had it a bit with Ancelotti going for Rodriguez and Allan. Players ready to hit the ground.

The longer term players, Doucoure who we chased for a while, Godfrey etc was our DOF.
Gerrard will only go to Liverpool from us (unless he fails here IMO). If he gets to Liverpool levels of expectation then it means he'll have done a brilliant job with us. I just want to win SOMETHING for once and not be stuck in limbo. Last time we did was the LC in '96, which is a similar drought length as you lot. So I'm open to short term impact if it gives us more chance of any success, whilst having the stability of a wider group of younger players to build for future

Part of Villa's transfer ethos was to sign only <26yos to build value for future sales etc. eg Luiz, Konsa, Watkins, Buendia, Bailey, Cash etc.

However, with signing Young and Ings there was definitely a clear change in mindset to get experience in when it's possible. I think Ings frankly was a rushed "name" signing when Jack left to appease the fans, as he simply cannot work with Watkins up top who is a superior footballer. But it's certainly heartwarming to see us be able to go for players like this with confidence when the opportunity is there for a clear "now" upgrade. Targett is pretty terrible going forward and so Digne represents a clear upgrade - similarly with Coutinho inexplicably joining us; he's a level above what we have.

The youth side is so strong too (Ramsey, Chuks, Archer, Kesler, Bidace etc) so it is certainly promising - but like you Everton fans all know, us Villa fans find it very hard to fully believe in nice things happening to us...
I think it's more to do with the fact Gerrard is now Villa manager. He wants to buy instant success and therefore Villa's (very sensible) policy of buying young players on sensible wages has gone out of the window.

Gerrard will only go to Liverpool from us (unless he fails here IMO). If he gets to Liverpool levels of expectation then it means he'll have done a brilliant job with us. I just want to win SOMETHING for once and not be stuck in limbo. Last time we did was the LC in '96, which is a similar drought length as you lot. So I'm open to short term impact if it gives us more chance of any success, whilst having the stability of a wider group of younger players to build for future

That was said a lot about Ronald Koeman and Barcelona mate.

That's been abandoned now as Gerrard will chase short term impact to ensure his reputation/he gets his next gig.

We had it a bit with Ancelotti going for Rodriguez and Allan. Players ready to hit the ground.

The longer term players, Doucoure who we chased for a while, Godfrey etc was our DOF.
Brands shouldnt have gone. Seemed to be the only sensible one

This is something that is overlooked by many fans I think too.

Managers thinking for themselves will know that their time at any club is short and will aim to sign older players ready to make an impact. Even if those deals do not make good financial sense and the players value will only decline. These managers will hang on to their better players longer than they should also.

Benitez has thus far only paid transfer fees for young and relatively inexperienced players. That is a risk for him. Selling Digne is a risk too. It was avoidable. But he is one of our higher value assets and signing Mykolenko and Patterson is for the long term good of the club. Even if Benitez will very likely not be around to see them reach their peaks.

I didn't want him gone as when he plays in a modern system and not this dreadful Sam-lite system , he's going to be a provider for forwards like Dom but if we are getting over 20 million for a player who is nearer 30 than 25 , I'd say that's an acceptable amount .
I'd look back on him fondly and hope he stinks in the EPL just to rip it up in Italy or France .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back