2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting to see how the media is reacting to Villa making moves like this in comparison to us

With us it was always looking at the potential negatives and acting like we had ideas above our station

With Villa they are gassing them up and talking about how ambitious they are, talking about how historically successful they are

They clearly see Villa as a real sleeping giant whilst they see us as never-will-be's who are getting too cocky

I mean we did spend over £40m on Gylfi Siggurdsson so don't think we deserve any sort of hype these days in the market.

It's interesting to see how the media is reacting to Villa making moves like this in comparison to us

With us it was always looking at the potential negatives and acting like we had ideas above our station

With Villa they are gassing them up and talking about how ambitious they are, talking about how historically successful they are

They clearly see Villa as a real sleeping giant whilst they see us as never-will-be's who are getting too cocky

Steven Gerrard factor too.

Bit like Wayne Rooney too.

Same was true with Lampard at Derby.

Over egged - like the narrative.

He may be one of our best players but we will likely get the best fee today that we ever would for him given his age.

If you accept that and take on board, we have used the funds his sale brings in to potentially lock down our RB and LB for the next 5-10 years potentially then it is one sale that makes good long term sense.

Yes, Digne is very good and we are strengthening a club that we will be competing with but we are in such a state that we need to just focus on making sound decisions today so that in future, we have the ability to compete financially with these type of teams.
Patterson and Mykolenko are fine.

Just don’t waste money on crap like Longstaff and the Villa sub winger.

We do too of course but at the moment we're sliding towards the cliff edge in all departments.

I see mate.

Been said for a long time this (Villa going in the opposite and positive direction to Everton).

May - in the 'Threat of Villa' thread;

They only finished one place behind us. I think there’s about 10 teams in our “not good, not crap” category.

I don't think a lot has changed, other than them losing by far and away their best player in Grealish and appointing a wildcard manager.

We'll see - as plenty have said, Everton fans fumed at the idea of signing Coutinho and would be livid if we tried to sign a full back approaching 29 on a big fee/salary.

Interestingly, massive optimism at Villa, terrible pessimism here - nothing in the league placement.

I see mate.

Been said for a long time this (Villa going in the opposite and positive direction to Everton).

May - in the 'Threat of Villa' thread;

I don't think a lot has changed, other than them losing by far and away their best player in Grealish and appointing a wildcard manager.

We'll see - as plenty have said, Everton fans fumed at the idea of signing Coutinho and would be livid if we tried to sign a full back approaching 29 on a big fee/salary.

Interestingly, massive optimism at Villa, terrible pessimism here - nothing in the league placement.

Yeh I'm not so hot on Villa but they certainly seem more stable than us.

Villa fan here in nothing but peace and respect. Always had huge admiration and love for Everton as a club, being a team in probably the most similar position to Villa over my lifetime supporting them - huge history and fanbase and real "sleeping giants" but ultimately lacking in anything to bloody show for it...

I'm baffled by the Digne transfer. I've looked through the last 30 pages of this thread as it certainly wasn't that long ago that Digne was touted as one of the best LBs in the Prem; 40 odd caps for France etc... what the F has happened to warrant us being able to get him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back