2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread ???

He’s crap.. but he’s one of our best players

He’s been dropped … but he’s refusing to play

He’s 29 now and past his best ….. £25 million ??? He’s worth more than that

Our fanbase are a joke… no wonder everyone else laughs at us.
He'll probably get a better reception on his return to Goodison in a couple weeks time than any of our new signings will get.

It is more than you'd ideally like to spend on Mykolenko but clubs tend to pay for potential these days, rather than proven quality. It makes sense to do that as well because the player has to be really, really terrible for you to never see that money again. Moise Kean had about the most forgettable spell here in existence and if Brands' hail mary two year loan (God what an absolute numpty he was) turns out well then we'll still make a profit on him.

Give me Mykolenko for £17m all day over the likes of Allan and Doucoure for £20m. They are decent enough players but you just know we'll be releasing both for free in three years time.

As for money being available, I don't believe that we had much room to manoeuvre without sales. I don't believe that we were ever seriously in for Luis Diaz, nothing about those stories ever added up - I knew that wasn't happening as soon as the reports said that the deal hinged on James agreeing to go the other way, on loan no less! Porto are no mugs, they typically rinse teams clean when they sell their best players so they were never going to sell their current star man for £20m and a crock on loan.

As a fanbase I think we were pretty unanimous that the squad needed to be overhauled so I'm not going to start crying now that it appears that this finally might be about to happen. I just hope we don't stop at Digne, we need to get Mina (regretfully), Iwobi, Davies, Gomes, Keane, Holgate and Coleman out the door in the next six months, in addition to the ones we are releasing in the summer. I just hope we haven't finished our business in this window, we need a defensive midfielder urgently.
We definitely were in for Diaz mate and he wanted to come but it all rested on James to Porto and that never really looked likely. But all of the Everton journos got hold of that Diaz story, it was definitely a thing that happened. But all hinged on James and Porto were never ever going to pay his wage.

We had the money to bid for Patterson though, so there was something available and like I said something for Diaz. We'd probably have had the money to go and get one player in (let's say Patterson) without selling this window, and then maybe a loan. Selling Digne has got us two players (but we have had to buy his replacement) and maybe we'll be able to get another player in too.

I am happy with a squad overhaul but it won't make a jot of difference under this manager.

Villa taking one of our best player. Thanks Agent Rafael.
He may be one of our best players but we will likely get the best fee today that we ever would for him given his age.

If you accept that and take on board, we have used the funds his sale brings in to potentially lock down our RB and LB for the next 5-10 years potentially then it is one sale that makes good long term sense.

Yes, Digne is very good and we are strengthening a club that we will be competing with but we are in such a state that we need to just focus on making sound decisions today so that in future, we have the ability to compete financially with these type of teams.

I'm sure Villa wouldn't be his first choice but got to look at it from his perspective. He has to move this window to get into the French team for the World Cup and Villa are a side aiming for Europe.
Given how poorly it's been handled, the best thing to do is get him moved on quickly and use funds to strengthen elsewhere - CB and CM would be my priority.

This is very depressing. Digne has been class since he joined and was our top assist player last season. After watching our new recruit struggle so badly on Sat , it makes this deal even worse. And all because the manager lets personal disputes get in the way of the team

We wanted Mykolenko when Ancelotti was here, according to Dynamo Kyiv's manager anyway.

It's interesting to see how the media is reacting to Villa making moves like this in comparison to us

With us it was always looking at the potential negatives and acting like we had ideas above our station

With Villa they are gassing them up and talking about how ambitious they are, talking about how historically successful they are

They clearly see Villa as a real sleeping giant whilst they see us as never-will-be's who are getting too cocky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back