2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
The entire issue is this -

Why are we selling Digne?

Because he and Benitez have fallen out. So we're siding with a manager who shouldn't be here and is awful at his job.

People go 'yeah, you wouldn't have a go if it was any other manager, it's just because you don't like Benitez'. No, no other manager would ostracise the only left-back in the squad midway through the season.
We selling him because we need the money for ffp. Apart from dcl or richarluson we have no one else to sell

We selling him because we need the money for ffp. Apart from dcl or richarluson we have no one else to sell

I think it's a bit of both to be honest

Also, I think he probably wants out and has wanted out for a while, on account of him reaching his late 20's and having a desire not only to win things but also get into that French side in a World Cup year

So really it's a combination of Digne and Benitez falling out, the club needing some money to fund transfers and Digne himself wanting a move to advance his career

Benitez has probably exacerbated the other two. I doubt Digne is totally blameless though. These things are rarely black and white

We are selling him because he has had a falling out with the manager.

The rest is just convenient. Digne is at an age where it's not the worst idea to sell him and move on but that's not the reason why he is being sold.

The conclusion amongst us seems to be that he is a good but replaceable asset. His transfer and wages will prob cover the Ukrainian lad and pattersons cost

We didn't need to go and spend £17m on a left-back...

We're selling him because him and the manager don't see eye to eye and to boot, the money will be useful off the books, yes.

So why doesn't the club just be truthful about that?

We did have money available this window without a sale, we'll now just have a little bit more. Not that much, though. We've already spent more than we'll get for Digne, but his wages off the books will be handy for P&S

I think it's a bit of both to be honest

Also, I think he probably wants out and has wanted out for a while, on account of him reaching his late 20's and having a desire not only to win things but also get into that French side in a World Cup year

So really it's a combination of Digne and Benitez falling out, the club needing some money to fund transfers and Digne himself wanting a move to advance his career

Benitez has probably exacerbated the other two. I doubt Digne is totally blameless though. These things are rarely black and white
I don't think he wanted out so much that he'd go to Villa, mate.

If he does go to Villa, it proves that it's Benitez. Whether that's on Digne or Benitez or both of them, the reason that Digne will be going is because Benitez is here.

I agree on your last point btw. But like I said, the fact he'd see Villa as a step up in his career right now... nah. It's to get away from Benitez. And I worry it'll be Richarlison or DCL next. Honestly, if we go on another bad run, Benitez has run out of people to blame so I wonder what player it will be.

Fortunately I do think we've made good signings.

I don't have an issue with Digne being sold to bring in younger players - that's sensible business.

But we wouldn't have needed to spend £17m on a left-back if our manager was able to get along with his players.
I think the reality is we wouldn't have been able to spend anything at all had Digne not been shoved through the door. Whilst the circumstances surrounding Digne's exit aren't the best, I am far less concerned about this than the vast majority on here appear to be. He is a pretty good left back, nothing more, nothing less. In the calendar year 2021, he ranged from being completely average to downright terrible. Interestingly, the performance he put in against Aston Villa earlier in the season is easily the single worst individual effort any Everton player has put in this season, and I do include all of Rondon's 'displays' in that. Sadly however, every time Mykolenko has a sub par performance everybody is going to compare him to 2018/19 Digne instead of the one he is actually replacing.

I have been begging us to get creative in the market for so long - it was my biggest annoyance with Brands that he always ended up pursuing the easy option rather than taking calculated risks (new contract for Keane, signing Doucoure 18 months on from when we first wanted him rather than looking elsewhere for a younger/cheaper alternative etc).

Selling a left back for £25m who has appears to have already peaked and replacing him with a player 6-7 years his junior on half the weekly wedge and one of the most promising prospects around (Patterson) for the biggest problem position in our team with the proceeds is smart - regardless of the circumstances it came about.

At the end of the day we can only sell players who other clubs actually want, so whilst we'd all prefer to bin off the absolute crappers in this team like Holgate, Davies and Iwobi to boost our coffers the reality is nobody will pay us any money to rid us of these clowns. This is why the next person we need to be getting out of the door is Yerry Mina, again a player I like a lot but it looks evident now that he doesn't want to sign a new contract and as we are approaching last chance saloon of getting a decent fee for him, we need to act now.

This is very depressing. Digne has been class since he joined and was our top assist player last season. After watching our new recruit struggle so badly on Sat , it makes this deal even worse. And all because the manager lets personal disputes get in the way of the team

I think the reality is we wouldn't have been able to spend anything at all had Digne not been shoved through the door. Whilst the circumstances surrounding Digne's exit aren't the best, I am far less concerned about this than the vast majority on here appear to be. He is a pretty good left back, nothing more, nothing less. In the calendar year 2021, he ranged from being completely average to downright terrible. Interestingly, the performance he put in against Aston Villa earlier in the season is easily the single worst individual effort any Everton player has put in this season, and I do include all of Rondon's 'displays' in that. Sadly however, every time Mykolenko has a sub par performance everybody is going to compare him to 2018/19 Digne instead of the one he is actually replacing.

I have been begging us to get creative in the market for so long - it was my biggest annoyance with Brands that he always ended up pursuing the easy option rather than taking calculated risks (new contract for Keane, signing Doucoure 18 months on from when we first wanted him rather than looking elsewhere for a younger/cheaper alternative etc).

Selling a left back for £25m who has appears to have already peaked and replacing him with a player 6-7 years his junior on half the weekly wedge and one of the most promising prospects around (Patterson) for the biggest problem position in our team with the proceeds is smart - regardless of the circumstances it came about.

At the end of the day we can only sell players who other clubs actually want, so whilst we'd all prefer to bin off the absolute crappers in this team like Holgate, Davies and Iwobi to boost our coffers the reality is nobody will pay us any money to rid us of these clowns. This is why the next person we need to be getting out of the door is Yerry Mina, again a player I like a lot but it looks evident now that he doesn't want to sign a new contract and as we are approaching last chance saloon of getting a decent fee for him, we need to act now.
We had money to spend at the end of the last window. We bid up to £8m for Patterson, we were working on a deal that would have seen us spend at least £20m on Luis Diaz. We had freed up leeway with Kean's wages and getting some guaranteed cash in down the line. When James' move to Porto fell down that obviously scuppered any chance of getting Diaz or spending big but we did have money to play with.

Yeah, I think Mykolenko will be decent but it is a big fee mate. £17m on a 22-year-old from the Ukrainian league is a lot. But I think he'll turn out to be a solid acquisition.

Again, everything you say there makes sense so I'm not advocating against the logic of getting Digne out and others in. But it's not all because of the financial restrictions.

This is very depressing. Digne has been class since he joined and was our top assist player last season. After watching our new recruit struggle so badly on Sat , it makes this deal even worse. And all because the manager lets personal disputes get in the way of the team
I wouldnt necessarily say Mykolenko struggled badly on Saturday. On his debut, playing 120 minutes and not speaking English yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back