2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has he? Or are we doing that thing we always do when selling our players where we make out they weren’t that good.

Like I say, it’s not disastrous that he’s going. Quality player, hardly the heart of a lion though, and not sure how much use he’d be going into a relegation scrap.
that's what @kenada_blue is saying mate, he doesn't actually think he's been crap for 18 months

The entire issue is this -

Why are we selling Digne?

Because he and Benitez have fallen out. So we're siding with a manager who shouldn't be here and is awful at his job.

People go 'yeah, you wouldn't have a go if it was any other manager, it's just because you don't like Benitez'. No, no other manager would ostracise the only left-back in the squad midway through the season.

The entire issue is this -

Why are we selling Digne?

Because he and Benitez have fallen out. So we're siding with a manager who shouldn't be here and is awful at his job.

People go 'yeah, you wouldn't have a go if it was any other manager, it's just because you don't like Benitez'. No, no other manager would ostracise the only left-back in the squad midway through the season.

this.

and we’ve made the signings we have of the sale of this guy. sooner people see fat boy is wrecking this club the better

this.

and we’ve made the signings we have of the sale of this guy. sooner people see fat boy is wrecking this club the better
Fortunately I do think we've made good signings.

I don't have an issue with Digne being sold to bring in younger players - that's sensible business.

But we wouldn't have needed to spend £17m on a left-back if our manager was able to get along with his players.

I’m not against the sale per se. At some point we have to start selling players before they’re completely worthless.
I just think this has been handled horribly and in doing so, means we have zero bargaining power.

Deffo mate, instead of Benitez just coming out and saying that Digne wants to leave and then leaving it at that he has decided to have a pop at him whenever he could. It’s not like Digne has even come out to the media whinging to warrant it.

Digne has offered hardly anything for two years now. I am happy he's moving on. I wouldn't say I see him as one of the players who has 'downed tools' for numerous managers, but his hunger has definitely disappeared and with it his form for us. He looks a shadow of the player who joined us. I remember when we laughed because we couldn't believe our luck at finding almost the perfect Baines replacement, one who could lash home a free kick or curl in a beauty of a cross. We haven't seen that in a long, long time, and it's best for everybody involved if he goes. Him joining Villa won't increase their chances of finishing higher than us in the table. I just hope this new lad we've got is alright, and I also hope Nkounkou can come back and challenge for the position next season.

Digne has offered hardly anything for two years now. I am happy he's moving on. I wouldn't say I see him as one of the players who has 'downed tools' for numerous managers, but his hunger has definitely disappeared and with it his form for us. He looks a shadow of the player who joined us. I remember when we laughed because we couldn't believe our luck at finding almost the perfect Baines replacement, one who could lash home a free kick or curl in a beauty of a cross. We haven't seen that in a long, long time, and it's best for everybody involved if he goes. Him joining Villa won't increase their chances of finishing higher than us in the table. I just hope this new lad we've got is alright, and I also hope Nkounkou can come back and challenge for the position next season.
First half of last season he was in great form, so he's really only been poor for the last 12 months

I make no secret that when we were looking at both Digne and Tierney in the same window that I wanted the latter and not the former

What I will say is that Digne won me over pretty quickly with his play

He's been a good signing for us overall

How it's ending is a real shame, but I think it's important we don't start pretending he was rubbish all along or not that good, because to do so would be dishonest

You see it a lot when players leave that they are retroactively classed as not really that good

Saw it with the likes of Fellaini, Stones and Lukaku, even Rooney when he left for Man United

I think we should aim to avoid stuff like that if at all possible. I understand that it's mostly a coping mechanism because a good player is leaving, so we have to pretend he wasn't really that good to make ourselves feel better, but I just don't see the point

Deep down I think most of the people trashing his skills right now know that it's bunkum

Digne was a good player. I'll miss him. But we move on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back