2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope the lad goes on to enjoy his football wherever it may be. Cant be arsed with the noise and conjecture about how this has come about. Dirty washing doesn't need to be aired in the media, in fact I think it's a very P poor way of doing things.
Whilst I agree it’s a poor way of us doing things, imagine if we just announced he’d joined Villa totally out of the blue ?!
They’d be murder.

We selling him because we need the money for ffp. Apart from dcl or richarluson we have no one else to sell
This is much closer to the point. Add his dip in form to that and he would deemed as most saleable and also replaceable asset. Nobody actually knows the reason for the fall out which could be any number of scenarios that I’m sure will all be revealed once his transfer is complete . For now it’s time to move on .

I think Lucas Digne's drop off in form coincides with Ancelotti's very defensive tactics after Digne's return from injury and continued with Benitez' ultra defensive tactics.

Let's not forget, Digne is, in my opinion, one of the top 4 left backs we've had since the 60s. Wilson, Banes, Van Den Hauwe and Digne, he's up there with our best.

Its probably good business to sell him now, but, we would be in a much stronger bargaining position if Benitez hadn't opened his mouth.

This is very depressing. Digne has been class since he joined and was our top assist player last season. After watching our new recruit struggle so badly on Sat , it makes this deal even worse. And all because the manager lets personal disputes get in the way of the team
I wonder how long this complete and utter myth is going to run on for..

Are they actually trying to palm off El Ghazi onto us? I don’t even hate the fact that they’re having the audacity to do it, I’m more worried that we’ll actually accept it

We had money to spend at the end of the last window. We bid up to £8m for Patterson, we were working on a deal that would have seen us spend at least £20m on Luis Diaz. We had freed up leeway with Kean's wages and getting some guaranteed cash in down the line. When James' move to Porto fell down that obviously scuppered any chance of getting Diaz or spending big but we did have money to play with.

Yeah, I think Mykolenko will be decent but it is a big fee mate. £17m on a 22-year-old from the Ukrainian league is a lot. But I think he'll turn out to be a solid acquisition.

Again, everything you say there makes sense so I'm not advocating against the logic of getting Digne out and others in. But it's not all because of the financial restrictions.
It is more than you'd ideally like to spend on Mykolenko but clubs tend to pay for potential these days, rather than proven quality. It makes sense to do that as well because the player has to be really, really terrible for you to never see that money again. Moise Kean had about the most forgettable spell here in existence and if Brands' hail mary two year loan (God what an absolute numpty he was) turns out well then we'll still make a profit on him.

Give me Mykolenko for £17m all day over the likes of Allan and Doucoure for £20m. They are decent enough players but you just know we'll be releasing both for free in three years time.

As for money being available, I don't believe that we had much room to manoeuvre without sales. I don't believe that we were ever seriously in for Luis Diaz, nothing about those stories ever added up - I knew that wasn't happening as soon as the reports said that the deal hinged on James agreeing to go the other way, on loan no less! Porto are no mugs, they typically rinse teams clean when they sell their best players so they were never going to sell their current star man for £20m and a crock on loan.

As a fanbase I think we were pretty unanimous that the squad needed to be overhauled so I'm not going to start crying now that it appears that this finally might be about to happen. I just hope we don't stop at Digne, we need to get Mina (regretfully), Iwobi, Davies, Gomes, Keane, Holgate and Coleman out the door in the next six months, in addition to the ones we are releasing in the summer. I just hope we haven't finished our business in this window, we need a defensive midfielder urgently.

Whilst I agree it’s a poor way of us doing things, imagine if we just announced he’d joined Villa totally out of the blue ?!
They’d be murder.
yep, there would be ?. However, (tongue in cheek) he's been the source of all our problems for 18 months so there probably wouldn't ?,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back