2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not against the sale per se. At some point we have to start selling players before they’re completely worthless.
I just think this has been handled horribly and in doing so, means we have zero bargaining power.
I don't disagree, but if the figures that have been reported are correct, we seem to have done OK

digne
I enjoyed watching him play when he first arrived. The Burnley boxing day in particular was a great effort.

We're getting good money and have already signed a replacement, who hopefully turns out OK.

The only disappointment is how it's ended.

Being dropped for questioning the manager (wrong, whatever you think of the manager)

Crying off ill after being selected (inexcusable when you see how many we had out)

The manager basically driving the bus over him, and then reversing back during the Hull presser. (distinct lack of class)
all smoke and mirrors. Prob realised we wanted to sell him and both sides agreed. We didn’t want to risk injury. Need to create a narrative around not playing.
Digne been a good servant for his time here, one of our better signings under this ownership. Pragmatic decision to move him on - free up wages

But it is a factor and its why we're in such a mess

It's not. It's spending £300million on the worst pound for pound signings the league has ever seen under Koeman and Walsh (Sandro and Vlasic were young)...to then fix that mess, while re-investing under Brands...and getting that wrong too.

Has nothing to do with banking on young players. Because for the most part we have - Dom, Richy, Iwobi, Keane, Pickford, Mina, Gomes, Digne. We bought a spine of players under 25 with "high resale". Just happens to be that only 2 (Dom and Richy) would be able to sell at a high fee.

But if those players are mismanaged, don't fit in the league, play in a poor side, don't perform...they ain't going to have a resale value.

If Mykolenko turns out to be a dud...those thinking it was a great piece of business buying young soon see it not being so.

Personally I'm more of the mould of buying to fit a clear strategy. We've never had that for years.

I thought I read £20m last night? Which considering the fees players go for these days is shocking for a French international with a large chunk left on his current contract.

But he's been gash for 18 months and 29 years old.......

Can't be poor, not a team player or key player and expect £30million for him

But he's been gash for 18 months and 29 years old.......

Can't be poor, not a team player or key player and expect £30million for him
Has he? Or are we doing that thing we always do when selling our players where we make out they weren’t that good.

Like I say, it’s not disastrous that he’s going. Quality player, hardly the heart of a lion though, and not sure how much use he’d be going into a relegation scrap.

Cacking ourselves about players turning 30 is what led to us selling Peter Beardsley about 5 years too early.

Peter never had pace to begin with so it's not the same.

Digne would need to be replaced within 3 years anyhow, we've taken that money and got in two players plus change and 1 players' wage now pays for 2 with probably 30/40k left over. That same player who would be worth very little at 32/33 we now have the possibility that we could have 2 worth 30 million in a few years time.

It makes sense in the head, it stings a bit in the heart. Had this been the Digne that played so well in his first season here then you would say sack the manager/board, but in reality he hasn't been anywhere near that and it is best for all parties. Just would have been good had he gone abroad - but we need the cash so we can't cut off our own noses at the moment.

Has he? Or are we doing that thing we always do when selling our players where we make out they weren’t that good.

Like I say, it’s not disastrous that he’s going. Quality player, hardly the heart of a lion though, and not sure how much use he’d be going into a relegation scrap.

Was being sarcastic

You seem to really exaggerate this.

Greg O'Keefe posted this on the 26th November 2020:

Everton have been dealt a huge injury blow with the news left-back Lucas Digne has suffered a serious ankle injury in training, reports Greg O'Keeffe. The France international, 27, is believed to be facing up to eight weeks out with ankle ligament damage, and will have surgery on Monday.

The article states he was expected to miss 11 games, Transfermarkt list him missing 9 games because of the injury.

I mean, fair play to him for getting back slightly ahead of schedule but he's hardly Lazarus is he?

Sorry, 2-3 months.

He came back early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back