2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time will tell if it was the right thing hopefully
Well I mean the other perspective is we have 2 more seasons of peak Digne then stuck with an aging full back who's probably not going to have much resale value. Considering our finances, his situation and the fact he's almost 29 I think it's a good time to ship him out and replace with a 22 year old left back and to also bring in a young RB with big potential. If they both work out that's LB and RB covered for the next 5 years + for the sale of one player. Downside of it is that the pressure is now on Mykolenko to fill the shoes of a vastly more experienced and attacking player. Also that we've sold to a team who are only 3 points above us managed by someone who was awkward about selling us Patterson in the summer and who also said he'd never come to us because "Everton". Add in his connection with Benitez and I can understand the "agent R.afa" shouts

True this. At least this time we've bought a younger 22 year old player who has potential to get better and have resale value. Dignes sale also allowed us to fund Patterson in the same bracket. Hopefully this is us learning from our mistakes.

Our mistakes have been just buying bad players. Nothing to do with age.

Mina, Gomes, Keane, Pickford, Dom, Iwobi, Digne, Richy, Gbammin were all bought 25 years old or younger.

Allan, James, Docucure, Rooney, Siggy, Walcott, Tosun, Bolasie, Delph all bought 25+ . 2 of them are only 1st team players.

Dom and Richy alone are £100mill+ players in value. The rest that are still under 30 don't because most are bad players.

It's about a mix. Buying a load of 20 year olds isn't a good mix and don't automatically become "good resale" value

I didn’t want Lukaku, Stones or Gana to leave and I can’t understand those that did but this is not comparable, none of them were being courted by Newcastle and Villa.

Digne WAS a very good player for us, less so now and sold at a profit.

This is not a disaster.

Already in a disaster. We've just let some go on lifeboats

I didn’t want Lukaku, Stones or Gana to leave and I can’t understand those that did but this is not comparable, none of them were being courted by Newcastle and Villa.

Digne WAS a very good player for us, less so now and sold at a profit.

This is not a disaster.
Think digne playing in a back five would have suited better but hey ho

Our mistakes have been just buying bad players. Nothing to do with age.

Mina, Gomes, Keane, Pickford, Dom, Iwobi, Digne, Richy, Gbammin were all bought 25 years old or younger.

Allan, James, Docucure, Rooney, Siggy, Walcott, Tosun, Bolasie, Delph all bought 25+ . 2 of them are only 1st team players.

Dom and Richy alone are £100mill+ players in value.

It's about a mix. Buying a load of 20 year olds isn't a good mix.
So almost all the younger players we bought are starters and 2 of those that aren't suffered horrible career changing injuries. So only really Iwobi didn't work out.

So almost all the younger players we bought are starters and 2 of those that aren't suffered horrible career changing injuries. So only really Iwobi didn't work out.

It's the idea of resale value being a positive factor of buying a player at an age. Absolute waffle.

It only works out if the player is good and no one can know that.

Haven't a problem selling digne as long as it benefits the team and not a disagreement with a manager .
Funny how players when they are leaving suddenly in some fans eyes are rubbish and we can do better
Lukaku,gana ,stones
Who replaced Lukaku tosun
Gana replaced by Delph and Ashley Williams replaced stones
The thing with this is, given the position we're in financially, it's fine. It's also fine that we've got two younger players in.

But the only reason it's come about in the manner it has and the way it has is because of a disagreement with the manager.

In the short term, it doesn't benefit the team. Mykolenko is nowhere near Digne's level but, he's 22, he's going to develop and just needs a bit of time and patience and good coaching (ahem). So short term pain for long term gain, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back