Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
People trying to make out Rom has suddenly become mince, need to give their heads a wobble.
Don't think the guy has become mince (whatever that is ) me and nec are defending the right to say rom is not at it lately and we get stick from people saying he is young he is played out of position and a 19 year old getting injured has ruined him. I support Rom 100% but he is not right at the min, maybe to bulky, carrying a knock whatever. If we had a full squad maybe he would get his chance to miss a couple of games and get himself right. His performance against manure really upset me, maybe I should chill and move onto the villa game.

Reactions: NEC
Interesting. I have managed at amateur level for the last 10 years, I bow to knowledge of players and systems, where the main player of discussion season highlights to date are 2 goals and 1 assist out of 7 league games 2 euro games and a league cup game. I have got a statistic for you. Lukaku 94minutes against man utd last week. 1 shot off target. 1 header off target. opta stats.

So with all your managerial experience you can't see that our wingers are asked to stay high up the pitch with our main forward so we offer a threat on the counter attack when we win the ball back? Or that Barkley job in the team isn't to chase and harass the opposition when they have the ball but to provide cover when Barry or McCarthy leave the middle of so we don't get over run.

Pretty basic stuff really that you seemingly can't comprehend, how good is your team? What age or level are we talking about here?

Every football player on the pitch has a duty to chase and harass the opposition. Do you see lionel messi and Louis saurez jogging around. Your reading of evertons set up is interesting I did not realize we had become a counter attacking team, I seem to think Martinez plays a possession based game. Anyway back to managing the 3 year olds

Don't think the guy has become mince (whatever that is ) me and nec are defending the right to say rom is not at it lately and we get stick from people saying he is young he is played out of position and a 19 year old getting injured has ruined him. I support Rom 100% but he is not right at the min, maybe to bulky, carrying a knock whatever. If we had a full squad maybe he would get his chance to miss a couple of games and get himself right. His performance against manure really upset me, maybe I should chill and move onto the villa game.

He's at his best when he's got grass to run into and he can get at and bully either a full back or CB (or both!)

Sides are giving us more respect this season, they're sitting deeper against us at home, and he's therefore having to play more of the time with his back to goal. Which is not what he's best at. His control is sometimes dubious and he therefore doesn't hold up play as well as say Eto'o.

He's not the finished article, but we knew that when we signed him. But currently we're not fully utilising him to get the best out of him. Yes, he could work harder, and yes he needs to buck up, but for me the key is Martinez as he needs to get a grip of the lad and stop blowing smoke up his arse.

Lukaku is not at the races, that's pretty clear. It's unfair to just leave it at that though.

In the argument against him, his touch and awareness are generally poor and he's not aggressive enough. This is a problem because I'm not sure any of this can really be coached into him now.

In his defence, he is quick and he's a fantastic finisher. Will he ever be worth £28m? I don't know, but on his game he's a real asset.

The mitigating circumstances then come into play - He was at the World Cup and had a very disjointed pre-season. Martinez admitted he wasn't fit, but he started the first game of the season and has been in the team ever since because we've had injuries. On top of that, he picked up a foot injury early on and has had to play with that which has visibly affected him, particularly in the earlier games. To add to that, we've not exactly been firing on all cylinders as a side either - lots of our attacking players who would be responsible for creating space and chances for Lukaku have either been injured or badly out of form themselves. He's scored a couple of lovely goals, but if we're all expecting him to become Drogba anytime soon, we'll all be very disappointed - let's be honest, Mourinho would have kept him if that was the case. He has weaker areas of his game, but if we can get him properly fit and surrounded by players creating space and chances for him, he'll score goals. He's done it at every level and wherever he has played in his career and he did it for us last season too. There's no reason to think he won't continue, but you have to temper expectations. Just because we paid £28m for him doesn't mean we're going to see a different player than we saw last season. We won't and there were times last season where his lack of control and being bullied off the ball had me fuming, it'll happen a lot this season too.

He's scored a couple of lovely goals, but if we're all expecting him to become Drogba anytime soon, we'll all be very disappointed - let's be honest, Mourinho would have kept him if that was the case.

Maybe, but I don't think it's quite that simple for a buying club like Chelsea. He basically had the option of swapping (in terms of FFP) a Lukaku that still needed a fair amount of work for a fully-fledged Costa. Makes a lot of sense in terms of balancing the books, plus Chelsea need players that are at the top of their game RIGHT NOW. We want players that are solid now but could become world-beaters with a couple seasons under their belt, because that's what our finances allow for, it's how we have to play the game.

So I guess what I'm saying is you're right haha. He won't be beast mode by next week, but by the end of the season/midway through the next, who knows.

Every football player on the pitch has a duty to chase and harass the opposition. Do you see lionel messi and Louis saurez jogging around. Your reading of evertons set up is interesting I did not realize we had become a counter attacking team, I seem to think Martinez plays a possession based game. Anyway back to managing the 3 year olds
every second he hasn't got the ball as it happens, and I'm on your side!

Bukaku has barely played in the position he should be. i.e. right in the middle and wait for the ball.
I agree with that mate he needs to get in the box more, and maybe RM needs to adapt our style a bit. If we play with 1 striker and he is kept out of the box joining in with the tippy tappy how can get on the end of the move.

He's at his best when he's got grass to run into and he can get at and bully either a full back or CB (or both!)

Sides are giving us more respect this season, they're sitting deeper against us at home, and he's therefore having to play more of the time with his back to goal. Which is not what he's best at. His control is sometimes dubious and he therefore doesn't hold up play as well as say Eto'o.

He's not the finished article, but we knew that when we signed him. But currently we're not fully utilising him to get the best out of him. Yes, he could work harder, and yes he needs to buck up, but for me the key is Martinez as he needs to get a grip of the lad and stop blowing smoke up his arse.
Exactly FLHD. seeing those dread locks powering towards goal with ball was amazing maybe that's why RM plays him wide some times to get him some grass to open up into. I think the opposition teams have done there homework over the summer, jose mouhrinho started it by marking him crazy tight and others have followed.

Lukaku is not at the races, that's pretty clear. It's unfair to just leave it at that though.

In the argument against him, his touch and awareness are generally poor and he's not aggressive enough. This is a problem because I'm not sure any of this can really be coached into him now.

In his defence, he is quick and he's a fantastic finisher. Will he ever be worth £28m? I don't know, but on his game he's a real asset.

The mitigating circumstances then come into play - He was at the World Cup and had a very disjointed pre-season. Martinez admitted he wasn't fit, but he started the first game of the season and has been in the team ever since because we've had injuries. On top of that, he picked up a foot injury early on and has had to play with that which has visibly affected him, particularly in the earlier games. To add to that, we've not exactly been firing on all cylinders as a side either - lots of our attacking players who would be responsible for creating space and chances for Lukaku have either been injured or badly out of form themselves. He's scored a couple of lovely goals, but if we're all expecting him to become Drogba anytime soon, we'll all be very disappointed - let's be honest, Mourinho would have kept him if that was the case. He has weaker areas of his game, but if we can get him properly fit and surrounded by players creating space and chances for him, he'll score goals. He's done it at every level and wherever he has played in his career and he did it for us last season too. There's no reason to think he won't continue, but you have to temper expectations. Just because we paid £28m for him doesn't mean we're going to see a different player than we saw last season. We won't and there were times last season where his lack of control and being bullied off the ball had me fuming, it'll happen a lot this season too.
Great post toffee blue
I am hoping RM just stumbles on a formation or line up that get's rom some space to open up with the ball. I want to see rom adapt his game ,he knows he is going to be tightly marked so what is he gonna do about, I know he is young but he needs to unleash the beast ( oops that came out wrong)

I agree with that mate he needs to get in the box more, and maybe RM needs to adapt our style a bit. If we play with 1 striker and he is kept out of the box joining in with the tippy tappy how can get on the end of the move.
Exactly. And the lad can finish well.. Boy can he bury the ball. But he cant bury it if hes not in the box!

Rom hasn't been playing well but neither has anyone really, well apart from Kev. And obviously John Stones. And Bainsey.
For me he's simply missing Barkley and Seamus - 2 of our most effective attacking players who provide a lot of his chances by charging into the box.

IMO it's taken EFC a very long time to become boss again, but unfortunately we're still only SERIOUSLY boss when we've got our best side fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back