Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reality is - he is the goal scorer, Naismith is the one who has been told to close down. Not Lukaku.

Lukaku has a lot of potential and is definitely a goal threat. He gets a lot of stick and can be a frustrating figure. However, the manager chose to spend £28 MIL (or whatever the correct figure is) on him so why isn't he getting the best out of him. To spend that amount of money on a player must mean that he rates him highly so why isn't he getting the most out of him??? Answers on a postcard please...

I`m really disappointed with Lukaku. Every time I`ve seen him this season he looks so lazy. Gives me the impression that he`s his own biggest fan. His control of the ball when its passed to him is poor, for a big lad he`s terrible in the air, doesn't seem to judge the flight of the ball very well when its played up to him. He takes his time getting back from offside positions. We saw a glimpse of how good he could be last year when he had something to prove. If he`d been wanted at Chelsea or another team with Champions League football I think he`d have gone somewhere else. We were probably the biggest club in for him so he signed his contract and will just make do with us until something better comes along.

I`m really disappointed with Lukaku. Every time I`ve seen him this season he looks so lazy. Gives me the impression that he`s his own biggest fan. His control of the ball when its passed to him is poor, for a big lad he`s terrible in the air, doesn't seem to judge the flight of the ball very well when its played up to him. He takes his time getting back from offside positions. We saw a glimpse of how good he could be last year when he had something to prove. If he`d been wanted at Chelsea or another team with Champions League football I think he`d have gone somewhere else. We were probably the biggest club in for him so he signed his contract and will just make do with us until something better comes along.
Stopped reading at 'lazy'.

Strikers can only make a run behind the defence once, if the midfield keep hold of the ball and don't make the pass then the striker will be offisde. Is that the striker's fault or the midfielder's?

The pace (or lack of it) when we attack undoubtably plays a part in the attackers movement, if we are to slow to see a run then the player will 9/10 times be offside. It is the lack of his urgency to get back onside once the original run has fizzled out. Near the end of the derby the ball landed by him and Emre Can barely moved because he knew Lukaku was offside like the previous 5-10 times in that game alone.

Seamus Colemole talks a lot of sense too many people on here think with the heart instead of their brains you've got to be able to see the bigger picture, as I've said in a previous post he's simply not good enough, but I really hope he proves me wrong. As for Saturday Martinez should have replaced him with Kone with 20 to go and with his and Lennons pace we may have been able to cause them more problems on the break

The pace (or lack of it) when we attack undoubtably plays a part in the attackers movement, if we are to slow to see a run then the player will 9/10 times be offside. It is the lack of his urgency to get back onside once the original run has fizzled out. Near the end of the derby the ball landed by him and Emre Can barely moved because he knew Lukaku was offside like the previous 5-10 times in that game alone.

He was caught off side 4 times on Saturday, he's a forward who likes to play on the shoulder of a defender playing in a team devoid of a ball playing midfielder. It doesn't take much for a defence to push up and catch him offside, it's the most basic of defending tactics.

He's not lazy trying to get back on side but he's probably feed up of being constantly ignored when he's making these runs.

Can't say I agree with the accusations of laziness. It's talent he's lacking in, not application or attitude (which are often exemplary).

It's going to be very interesting to see how he progresses over the next few years. I still firmly believe that Everton were royally swindled.

The boy can't play, but he can finish.
What's wrong is we are not creating chances.
If Rom was on the end of chances and banging them in every weekend there wud be no accusations of lazy or poor control and so on...

Accusations of laziness are, frankly, lazy. People read and hear other people call him lazy and parrot it. He works very hard throughout the match and plays every single minute of every single match. So when you see him walking back to get onside and doesn't get there fast enough? That's exhaustion, not laziness.

As to other concerns - his touch is concerning. As is his general hold up play. His age is both good and bad. Good in the sense that he should continue to improve, but as @Seamus Colemole says he has played an awful lot of minutes, so he's not as 'young' as his chronological age suggests. But, he's played a lot of minutes and still has a great goal scoring ratio, so that's unlikely to be a fluke.

Most concerning to me is burnout. This many minutes so young could lead to him being washed up by his late 20's.

He has flashes of brilliance, whole games of it. And while £28 million is a lot, I honestly don't care - it's not my money - and I'd much prefer Romelu Lukaku leading Everton's line than, well, anyone we've had in a long, long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back