Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
The offsides were very frustrating at the weekend!!

However it's just another example of martinez playing players out of posistion in what must be regarded as the graveyard shift in the squad. How many players is he gonna handicap by playing out wide ffs!!

Lennon one side, Mirallas the other, central players in the center....all will be good!!

PS barkley behind Rom. Worked fine last season!

The way we play hinders him .
When he is not shoved out on the wing,he does not have the support up top.
When we attack there are hardly any players in the opposition box and he has 2 or 3 defenders around him.
Play to his strengths and he will shine

Strikers can only make a run behind the defence once, if the midfield keep hold of the ball and don't make the pass then the striker will be offisde. Is that the striker's fault or the midfielder's?

Its the midfields issue. We dont use the wings enough. If Lukaku starts goalside of the defence then the balll goes out wide, he's in a much better position for the ball coming back to him and he stays onside all the time. He cann use his strength to hold off defenders rather than relying on pace, as there are more defenders who are faster than him than are stronger than him. Its also of very little coincidence that very muchh the same frustrations were evident with Jelavic. We need to use the wings more, WITH WINGERS.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that with Lennon getting white line on his boots on regular occasion. Lukaku will find himself offside less and less.

He was caught off side 4 times on Saturday, he's a forward who likes to play on the shoulder of a defender playing in a team devoid of a ball playing midfielder. It doesn't take much for a defence to push up and catch him offside, it's the most basic of defending tactics.

He's not lazy trying to get back on side but he's probably feed up of being constantly ignored when he's making these runs.

Jesus no dont feed him up, he will end up looking like Yakubu.

Going against the grain here, yes he was offside 4 times on Saturday but to Lukaku's credit I think his all-round game has come on a lot over the last few months

At times last season and the early part of last season, I was tearing what little hair I have out in frustration at his touch and poor hold-up play.

Now I'm not saying he's Didier Drogba all of a sudden, but you'd have to be blind not to have seen that his game has improved over the course of the season.

He is nowhere near the finished article but those things I've complained about are getting better. In a weird way, I feel better about that money we spent on him now than I did at the time even though his goal ratio is down on last season (everything about Everton is down on last season though TBF), I'm seeing signs that he can become a good all-round striker rather than a quick, powerful finisher.

Going against the grain here, yes he was offside 4 times on Saturday but to Lukaku's credit I think his all-round game has come on a lot over the last few months

At times last season and the early part of last season, I was tearing what little hair I have out in frustration at his touch and poor hold-up play.

Now I'm not saying he's Didier Drogba all of a sudden, but you'd have to be blind not to have seen that his game has improved over the course of the season.

He is nowhere near the finished article but those things I've complained about are getting better. In a weird way, I feel better about that money we spent on him now than I did at the time even though his goal ratio is down on last season (everything about Everton is down on last season though TBF), I'm seeing signs that he can become a good all-round striker rather than a quick, powerful finisher.
It's definitely a good thing that despite him not feeling as good as he was last season he still has 10 goals. That's what we need.

His holdup play was pretty damn good in the derby. People forget that Drogba wasn't a hit when he first came.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back