Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahahahahaha. £33m to Wolfsburg?
If Lukaku goes this summer, Everton will receive a massive wad of profit... much more than £5m.
Anyway, he's going nowhere.... he knows if he wants to be one of the best, he has to be able to play the game he plays in the Premier League.

Hahahahahaha. £33m to Wolfsburg?
If Lukaku goes this summer, Everton will receive a massive wad of profit... much more than £5m.
Anyway, he's going nowhere.... he knows if he wants to be one of the best, he has to be able to play the game he plays in the Premier League.

I doubt we'd have paid the 3 million add ons if he goes in the summer. 33 million is their opening offer. If he bangs in another 6 or 7 goals this season, particularly in Europe it will be another 5 million on the opening offer. At present I suspect with other sides coming in he'd go for closer to 40 million. If he keeps firing as he is (10 in his last 14) and gets say another 8 goals then it will be upwards of 40 million with more than 1 side interested.

I doubt we'd have paid the 3 million add ons if he goes in the summer. 33 million is their opening offer. If he bangs in another 6 or 7 goals this season, particularly in Europe it will be another 5 million on the opening offer. At present I suspect with other sides coming in he'd go for closer to 40 million. If he keeps firing as he is (10 in his last 14) and gets say another 8 goals then it will be upwards of 40 million with more than 1 side interested.

It's all speculation. The rumours are essentially being generated by the likes of IndiKalia on twitter. No article has a single quote from anyone.

Rom is 21, has loads left on his contract. If he were to leave it would take a larger bid than what he's worth this summer... therefore in my opinion he goes nowhere unless someone decides to pay stupid money for him.

Anyway, didn't he specifically turn Wolfsburg down in order to join us? Seems to me like regurgitated links by sports 'journos' that need filler. Like when Everton get linked with the same player they were linked with 3 years ago.

It's all speculation. The rumours are essentially being generated by the likes of IndiKalia on twitter. No article has a single quote from anyone.

Rom is 21, has loads left on his contract. If he were to leave it would take a larger bid than what he's worth this summer... therefore in my opinion he goes nowhere unless someone decides to pay stupid money for him.

Anyway, didn't he specifically turn Wolfsburg down in order to join us? Seems to me like regurgitated links by sports 'journos' that need filler. Like when Everton get linked with the same player they were linked with 3 years ago.

Yes probably. I should imagine Wolfsburg still fancy him and he's had another impressive season.

I thought he might go until recently. But since we have started playing to his strengths I think he will give it another season at least. It's strange really, but I've never been as optimistic going into a new season after such a bad season as I am now. I think the manager has learnt a lot, younger players have been exposed and we have come through it and re-found an effective way to play. We also have players who, with all due respect can only get better and up their game from last season. Lukaku, Barkley, Besic (hopefully) Garbutt will all perform better and Stones will continue his development.

Yes probably. I should imagine Wolfsburg still fancy him and he's had another impressive season.

I thought he might go until recently. But since we have started playing to his strengths I think he will give it another season at least. It's strange really, but I've never been as optimistic going into a new season after such a bad season as I am now. I think the manager has learnt a lot, younger players have been exposed and we have come through it and re-found an effective way to play. We also have players who, with all due respect can only get better and up their game from last season. Lukaku, Barkley, Besic (hopefully) Garbutt will all perform better and Stones will continue his development.
Also, Wolfsburg's coach said he thought the fee for Lukaku was too high, so it seems weird that they'd now want to pay an even higher fee even though his performances this season are not an improvement on last year.

it ISN'T their opening offer, because it's another jarg Daily Mirror "let's link Everton players with moves away" article.

For reference:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...usive-manchester-united-plan-cut-price-806993

Last edited:

I don't think there's much to be worry about.

As long as the truly big clubs are all playing with one out and out striker, there's no danger of them paying out for Lukaku.

Whilst I understand the worry, remember the reason we bought him and the reason he came - he was fed up of loan moves, liked our manager and wants you to play every week.

He was under no illusions I'm sure, we aren't one of the traditional top 4 clubs and realising his CL ambitions with us was less likely than the usual suspects.

He will be with us next season and, dependent on where we finish, the year after. after that point I'd agree the chances of keeping him are slim.
Think he has really enjoyed not just playing every week but being the main man, even with the attendant pressure and criticism.

Not too worried about him going next year as believe he still realises he needs to develop in a few areas and mvoing to a new club/new league wouldn't be the best of preparations to lead the line for Belgium in Euro 2016. Wilmots doesn't seem to like him much and he'd probably play Benteke or Origi given the opportunity of a dip in form.

But if he has a good display in the Euros and we aren't in Europe don't think we will be able to keep him.

Wolfsburg weren't a Champions League club and 2nd in the Bundesliga then.

I'll be honest if we don't get into the CL through the Europa League I fear we might not be able to hold on to Rom which would be a huge shame because recently he has shown signs he could be the best striker in the world in a 2 or 3 seasons. Dodgy first touch or not.

We will need to invest in the team in the summer to keep our best players motivated. It's either that or raise as much cash for a stadium but I suspect while those players like Rom, Ross, McCarthy, Stones etc might have been willing to stay while we where in Europa and in and around the top 6 they might be less willing to stay another season if we're a mid table side which is showing no ambition.

It's a really important game tonight. CL this season would be huge for is, even more so than previous years.

But he's on a 5 year deal so it's not like anyone including the player can force a change and I suspect you would have to offer a lot more than 33m to tempt Martinez.

Last edited:
I don't think there's much to be worry about.

As long as the truly big clubs are all playing with one out and out striker, there's no danger of them paying out for Lukaku.
I agree. He's a few years of the truly big clubs. Rarely do strikers move to them unless they're 25 or older.

However Wolfsburg (2nd in Germany and in the CL) or their like aren't truly big but are a big step up from us in our current state which is mid table, no investment and no Europe.

For everyone who thought the Europa League doesn't matter. This is why it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back