Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah like mentioned before, his service last season was prob bout 50% of previous seasons! we were so obsessed with possesion stats that we prob played it into r own box more then the oppositions, the lad was coming back to the half way line just to get a touch of the ball! yeah playing with his back to goal is part of his game but not in the middle of the park! with his strength and speed its our own fault we’re not getting more out of him!! need to go take someone like oscar on loan for a season, tho prob burnt r bridges with chelsea last year!!

Stats are helpful, when you dont get the chance to see them week in week out.

Take his goal scoring record in insolation and its a decent return.

Compare it to lessers strikers, who scored more goals and it starts to look bad, then compare his goals to games ratio and it looks even worse.

Then factor in how he played in some games and he had a poor season.
Fair point this.

However at what point does playing every minute of every game, plus internationals etc, get to be more of a hinderance than a help? I know Rom is young but surely getting very little rest has to take the edge off at least you mental reactions even if still physically fit?

To be honest though, the lid scored 20 in a team that was pretty crap this season. Call it a poor season from him if you must, but the lid scored 20 in a team that wasn't flowing with creativity and was pretty frail, and didn't really put its 'ideal' first XI out more than a few times over the entirety of the season. And he played with a toe injury and lost his best mate. That shows his underlying quality IMO.

No, you said he had a very poor season. Even worse Augustus Gloop lad.

I expect a better return than the 10 in 36 he scored in the league, he scored 15 in 31 and 17 in 35 the 2 previous seasons, so 5 less goals is a poor return in my eyes.

His league "form" like the entire squads, was terrible.

He performed superbly in Europe, just like everybody 8 in 9 is a wonderful return.

Theres no need to get angry my Friend, Im a fan of Mr Lukaku and would very much like to retain his services long term, im just not gonna whitewash a very poor season for the lad.

You never see other strikers goals getting analysed like Rom's are , by Blues.

You don't see Ronaldo's 5 against a whoever used as a stick to beat him with.

People are not excluding Austin's 2 yard tap ins, or Alan Shearer's/ Matt LeTissier's penalties !!

Yakubu's 22 goals are not pulled apart, pens' open nets, or goals when we lost, or goals when he was playing poor.

Saha scored half his 1 season tally against Blackpool.....but nobody goes on about that!!

It's not that people are saying he's perfect, they're remarking that he's the best striker we have had for a long while and certainly the one who will get even better, and mostly that it's very harsh and peculiar to see the amount of criticism he gets from our own.

I like Lukaku and was glad we signed him, and you're right, he is the best striker we've had for a long time (since Yakubu).

But it's very close to verging into "At least he's not Brett Angell" territory. I'll admit that most of the complaints i have about him i make such an issue out of them because people seem to ignore them and simply mention his age and make excuses for him.

The whole "as long as he scores goals nothing else matters" stuff, which Greame Jones himself has disproved recently.

Even good strikers have bad seasons, Rooney is one of the few who despite being played out of position or injured has always managed to deliver even at a young age but that is what makes him superb.

Agree with you that there are parts of Roms game that need to be developed, not sure that there are too many people that disagree tbh. He was poor at times last season but he was also great at times, it is not unusual for any striker to be erratic let alone a young one.

You just seem to expect him to be this fully developed and consistent machine because we paid 28m and it doesn't work that way. Soldado cost that much and can only dream of having as bad a season as Rom

I don't expect him to be fully developed and perfect. But he's got worse instead of being better every season like people claimed he would.

Taking everything into account, the fact he is the most expensive player in our history, the fact he has played over 200 compettive first team games at a high level, the fact he has had top level coaching from the Belgium national team, Chelsea and Everton yet still has trouble controlling a ball and bringing his team mates into play when asked to do so.

Which admittedly, is just as much Martinez's fault for trying to make him play a way he isn't suited rather than using him in a way to get the best out of him.

But i'd like to think that considering how good people talk about he is (you know, more goals by 21 than Messi and gonan be the best striker in the world) he'd be able to do the basics better than he can at this stage of his career.

And if we are gonna keep using him the way we do, and he is gonna play how he did last season, we might as well flog him for a profit and get a striker who out performed him last season but will play the lone striker role better and more suited to how we play as a team, thus making us better as a team.

It seems that to some, Rom's back-to-goal play leaving something to be desired means that his all round game is terrible and he must therefore contribute nothing of any use at all outside the opposition 18 yard box. I would speculate that anyone who holds this belief is probably a bad racist or was, at the time of posting, under the influence of some quite powerful medication.

The idea is hopelessly incorrect. His seven assists last season and the quality of the assists (especially the ones vs Arsenal, West Ham away, Wolfsburg away and Kiev away) show he offers a lot more. His running on the ball is also a great asset, his aerial ability, his occupying of defenders etc. He's probably one of the better crossers of a ball in the side too, sadly.

I like Lukaku and was glad we signed him, and you're right, he is the best striker we've had for a long time (since Yakubu).

And if we are gonna keep using him the way we do, and he is gonna play how he did last season, we might as well flog him for a profit and get a striker who out performed him last season but will play the lone striker role better and more suited to how we play as a team, thus making us better as a team.
Who?

Can't think of a particularly long list, let alone those who we could afford and would join us.

Cahill and Saha both scored more PL goals in a season for us than Lukaku did last season.

And last season Ulloa, Ings, Diouf, Cisse, Pelle and Berahino all scored more PL goals than Lukaku.

Yeah i know, Lukaku has done it for more than 1 season and probably has upside than half of those but what he offered last season could easily have been found from elsewhere for a hell of a lot cheaper.

(And no, i'm not ignoring his EL feats, he was great in that but those players didn't play in it and we're not in it next season so it's not relevant here).

Yes, but it couldn't be found within the confines of the club could it, there is literally nothing else there at his level and my fear is, great, we cash in, make a few quid and replace him with.........Hmmm.....what? Sadly we're not a big draw and won't attract anything like him, potential or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back