Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahahahaha you Champ Manager playing scrote.

images

Who?

Can't think of a particularly long list, let alone those who we could afford and would join us.

Well if we did flog him i'm sure we could afford plenty of strikers.

The point being, if we're gonna use him like we did last season next season, and he performs similarly next season like he did last then surely any of those strikers who outscored him last season could be potential replacements if they can play a hold up role better (but i'm not familiar with their all round games enough to know if they can or not).

Obviously if we use him better and he smashes in 20 goals and we finish top 4 we'd be better off keeping him, which is the hope.

Before we sign ANY striker now, we need to know the following :

How many league goals has he scored....CL and EL and any Cup do not matter
How many goals has he scored from open play....pens don't count
How many goals did he score when he performed above a 7.5 average, anything below does not matter
How many open nets did he score ?? These don't count

Should be loads of strikers available for us.

I like Lukaku and was glad we signed him, and you're right, he is the best striker we've had for a long time (since Yakubu).

But it's very close to verging into "At least he's not Brett Angell" territory. I'll admit that most of the complaints i have about him i make such an issue out of them because people seem to ignore them and simply mention his age and make excuses for him.

The whole "as long as he scores goals nothing else matters" stuff, which Greame Jones himself has disproved recently.

It's what a striker is rated against primarily though, their ability to score goals. Take an opposite example in Marcus Bent who played the lone role up front well in our most successful season in the Premier League. He just didn't score enough goals so he was shoehorned out pretty much the following season.

The goals scored make the difference between look a drawing, drawing and winning. The same as a keeper who is fantastic at keeping clean sheets but maybe not so good on distribution. The key component of their role that they're proficient in will determine their success.

Not many players could come out of last season with much credit but Lukaku with his 20 goals certainly can. Without those goals things would have been a lot less enjoyable, and certainly more difficult.

So the criticism he receives is over the top.

Who also seems to have attitude issues at every club as well? We've got one of the brightest young strikers in Europe. Yes, he had a poor season by his own standards last year, but as Mout said, in the league all the players did.

I'm confident we'll see him bag 20 domestically this season - and he'll probably make us a today profit on that 28mil this time next year as well.

Well if we did flog him i'm sure we could afford plenty of strikers.

The point being, if we're gonna use him like we did last season next season, and he performs similarly next season like he did last then surely any of those strikers who outscored him last season could be potential replacements if they can play a hold up role better (but i'm not familiar with their all round games enough to know if they can or not).

Obviously if we use him better and he smashes in 20 goals and we finish top 4 we'd be better off keeping him, which is the hope.
Well we might be able to afford them but would they fit into the team/country, be relatively injury free and score even close to what Rom does?

I know that Liverpool haven't got the best of scouting networks but they have struggled with their strikers, so have Spurs heck even Chelsea before they brought Costa and so have United despite spending a fortune on Falcao.

This is the list of PL strikers who outscored him, any that we could realistically get that you would want over Rom?
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

For me it is his lack of interest to get himself into the box. The constant shooting from the edge of the box. His international manager got it right for me. I also think we've tried to change him this season. Trying to get him to hold up the ball more. Big Dunc's influence?

Maybe he'll be better next season? But if we can get a good deal now, so there is plenty of time to buy a replacement, I'd sell. My fear is this will carry on to the last minute of the window.

I suppose it has already been mentioned some where back in the pages but the latest newspaper pooh per Sun and Star is Man U could be interested in Rom.

Will this paper pooh never stop trying to sell and unsettle our players?

Well, Bent actually did. You just didn't factor in his January move to Aston Villa in 2011.

As for the rest, can't argue with Bellamy (much poorer record than I remember), but overall they seem to score at a similar rate to Lukaku when playing regularly, although I did specifically say ten goals, so fair play.

Old Demba Ba certainly knows where the net is. I thought he'd spent longer at Newcastle, though.

Jones has already said that they're going to be working more on improving Rom's hold up play this pre-season. It's an area that he lacks and yes, needs to improve. But, he's also not that type of player. He needs a balance to his game, of course, but too many times last season we played it him on the half-way line with his back to goal. Partly poor positioning from Rom, mostly poor play from the midfield. He needs to be running at teams with the ball - he's devastating when he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back